List of People Contributing to The Asexual Community

Horse Ham Radio

Horse Ham Radio

Here's an idea for something I feel is missing from this community.

I would like to see somewhere a list of everyone who is actively contributing their time and resources towards developing the asexual community. Developing is a broad term here; here are some examples of who I would like to see mentioned:

• People raising the visibility of asexuality to those outside the community (through, e.g., TV or radio appearances, public presentations, books, activism, etc.)
  • Anyone creating content for the asexual community itself be it virtual or physical (such as Youtube videos, social media groups, websites, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, creative content, merchandise)
  • Those developing/supporting the ace community more directly, through things like hosting events or meetups.
  • Presenters and organisers of conferences featuring asexuality.

And anything else along these lines. Anyone who is actively contributing towards the community in important ways that support the community itself or improve relations with those outside it. Active being the contributions are in the past 12 months. This list will be really useful for finding the major people in different areas, which can be a useful source of contacts if you are looking to help out in that area; or to simply discover new people doing something you are interested in.

I can come up with quite a few people here myself, but I would only know a fraction. I would appreciate it if you know anyone who might fit here (including yourself). Post suggestions here with a short description of why they should be here. Ideally the person should have been contributing for a significant amount of time (weeks/months).

I'll collate a list here and will keep it up to date as new suggestions come in :) I'll review it once a year or so to remove anyone who is no longer active in the community so this will stay useful. I'll add my own suggestions later today.

Youtubers (updated Feb 2019) - Sorted by number of subscribers. Bolded ones have a lot of ace content.

Spoiler
  • Ash Hardell - 600k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, asexuality spectrum-orientations, transitioning, LGBT+.
  • Evan Edinger - 500k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality.
  • Echo Gillette - 400k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, art.
  • ChandlerNWilson - 350k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, LGBT+, gender.
  • *AshAndGraceSPACE* - 100k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, transitioning.
  • HeyoDamo - 60k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, LGBT+, gender.
  • Aaron Ansuini - 27k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, transitioning, disability, mental health.
  • jennaclarek - 19k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, books.
  • AmeliaAce - 12k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, asexuality spectrum-orientations, relationships.
  • QueerAsCat - 8.4k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, transitioning.
  • Embly - Asexual activist with 5.4k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality.
  • Celeste M - 2.3k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, transitioning.
  • Cookee Monsterr - 2.3k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality.
  • Quinn Creates - 2.2k subsribers. Content includes: asexualty, LGBT+.
  • Abbie Wells - 1.5k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, polyamourous relationships.
  • Andrea F - 1.3k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, LGBT+. Content is in Spanish.
  • Samantha Aimee - 0.5k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality.
  • Yasmin Benoit - Asexual activist with 0.4k subscribers.  Content includes: asexuality.
  • Asexualise - 0.4k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, dating.
  • The Asexual Goddess - 0.3k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, asexuality spectrum-orientations, LGBT+.
  • Slice of Ace - 0.2k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, homoromanticism. 
  • Gentle Giant Ace - 0.2k subscribers. Content includes: asexuality, dating.

This list only contains YouTubers who have been active in the past 12 or so months. For Youtube content from bygone creators see:

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/161326-list-of-asexual-youtubers/ &

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/160851-asexuals-on-youtube/?tab=comments#comment-1062437602

Meetup Organisers (updated Feb 2019) - Sorted alphabetic by username

Spoiler

Looking for current meetups? Try here:
https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/116909-summary/ &

https://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/12-meetup-mart/

:) Perhaps, this list might help. Although it was started around a year-and-a-half ago, it was recently updated a couple of months, ago. It also includes a link to another list of more asexual Youtubers.

Horse Ham Radio
27 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) Perhaps, this list might help. Although it was started around a year-and-a-half ago, it was recently updated a couple of months, ago. It also includes a link to another list of more asexual Youtubers.

Awesome, thank you! I will go through all of these later to see which ones are still active and include them :) I've checked a few random ones and some of their "new" content is several years old... :o I'll include these links in the list too for anyone who comes across this first and is interested in seeing content created by past youtubers.

29 minutes ago, nameinagame said:

Awesome, thank you! I will go through all of these later to see which ones are still active and include them :) I've checked a few random ones and some of their "new" content is several years old... :o I'll include these links in the list too for anyone who comes across this first and is interested in seeing content created by past youtubers.

I'm still active... just saying 😝 

Horse Ham Radio
4 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

I'm still active... just saying 😝 

Added :) Let me know if you want me to change the "content includes" part? I just put what I saw from skimming through the video titles.

I've gone through all the Youtubers in the two links now. A lot of inactive people, or ones who haven't done any ace-related videos for a year+. Seems like we only have ten active channels that post a decent amount of ace content (bolded in the list). The rest have the odd ace video every now and then. Some as few as once per year mixed in with loads of other videos o.o

I'm sure there has to be more creators out there. Just got to find them.

Will continue with other parts of the list tomorrow :)

1 minute ago, nameinagame said:

I'm sure there has to be more out there. Just got to find them.

There's also Samantha Aimee, who's done seven "Ace Episodes" in the last few months, and she plans to continue them for the foreseeable future

5 minutes ago, nameinagame said:

Added :) Let me know if you want me to change the "content includes" part? I just put what I saw from skimming through the video titles.

Thanks! Hmm, I'm not sure I'm experienced enough in dating to have relationships as a main content point 😝 I'd just put "asexuality (homoromantic ace)" or something. I just do general ace content, from the perspective of being a gay ace if that makes sense?

Horse Ham Radio
4 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

There's also Samantha Aimee, who's done seven "Ace Episodes" in the last few months, and she plans to continue them for the foreseeable future

Thanks, added ^^

4 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

Thanks! Hmm, I'm not sure I'm experienced enough in dating to have relationships as a main content point 😝 I'd just put "asexuality (homoromantic ace)" or something. I just do general ace content, from the perspective of being a gay ace if that makes sense?

I've changed it to asexuality, homoromanticism :) Hope that works ^_^

Horse Ham Radio

I have added a few of the meetup organisers. Just grabbed the really obvious names and mostly from the UK as that's the forum I'm most famiiar with.

To everyone added: Let me know if I have your meetup locations wrong or if you know someone missing.

I'll finish going through the other meetup forums and sites off AVEN over the coming days :)

Biblioromantic

Wow! I'm on a list! That's so cool! 😎

I'm actually kind of a VP for our group, Utah Asexuals. Our organizer/CEO-type person is @TristanUtah. He sometimes stops by AVEN, but I'm definitely here a lot more, several times a week at least. Not sure if you'd want to add him to your list of Meetup organizers, but I thought I'd let you know.

We also do quite a bit of visibility work here in addition to just planning ace meetups. We've attended events for LGBTQ group leaders at local pride centers, we've done quite a bit to get our name out with LGBT centers at all the local higher-ed campuses, and we regularly co-sponsor events with other local LGBTQ groups (and non-LGBTQ groups, too!). There's been some discussion about doing something at the pride events in the area, but it's our first year, so we're still getting our feet under us. Our Meetup group currently has over 280 members, and we add new members almost every day now. We're on a roll and growing by leaps and bounds! The future is bright!

Cent here, lured by the ping of a "you were mentioned"... My role is largely reduced to editing the top post of Vancouver's meetup thread (since I was the one who originally created it). Our current proficient (and prolific) meetup organisers are probably

@aceghost

@Heart (also a mod iirc)

and we can't forget our delightful and way too busy webmaster and occasional media darling @Coleslaw who comes to far too few meets these days.

Aceghost and Heart have also been stellar at getting us connected to wider umbrella organisations, and we even have plans to march in this summer's Pride Parade due to their ... shenanigans? Machinations? ... Machinanigans. That'll do for now.

Tasha the demi squirrel

Thank you for this list and including me 🙂

@Biblioromantic pointed out that I am the founder of Utah Asexuals.  I am not on AVEN nearly as much because I have found I can reach more people locally, through Facebook and Ace-book.net to get the word out about our social club.  I think that its great to be mentioned within this listing.  We all play a part in how our community is perceived and our actions collectively have helped many within and without the LGBTQIA to understand us better.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, Cent said:

Cent here, lured by the ping of a "you were mentioned"... My role is largely reduced to editing the top post of Vancouver's meetup thread (since I was the one who originally created it). Our current proficient (and prolific) meetup organisers are probably

@aceghost

@Heart (also a mod iirc)

and we can't forget our delightful and way too busy webmaster and occasional media darling @Coleslaw who comes to far too few meets these days.

Aceghost and Heart have also been stellar at getting us connected to wider umbrella organisations, and we even have plans to march in this summer's Pride Parade due to their ... shenanigans? Machinations? ... Machinanigans. That'll do for now.

:wub:

Thank you!!!

I'd also like to throw out some kudos to Brian Langevin (I forget their AVEN name, if they are still active here) for being the executive director of Asexual Outreach (AO). AO is an organisation that works to provide support for local on-the-ground ace and aro communities, and Brian really is a driving force! They made a website to plot all the Canadian and American local ace and aro groups too, it's a really cool interactive map: https://acesandaros.org/groups/

In my own (not very successful) way, I've been trying four different awareness-raising strategies.

1) contacting BIC and BISAC, the organisations responsible for allocating publication codes to books  because, for example, you can add a coded qualifier to show that e.g. a crime story has gay, lesbian, trans or bi interest, but there's no code to indicate ace interest. This affects subject visibility on on-line and real shelf searches. 

2) blogging. There's a list of ace-related blogs on the Asexual Agenda home page.  It's hard to blog regularly exclusively about asexuality (or any other single topic, though) and I imagine that several of the blogs listed, like my own at Poly All Sorts, include...well... all sorts.

3)being of advanced years myself, and knowing that asexuality wasn't part of my generation's language, I've offered older people's organisations e.g. SAGA, U3A, articles for their magazines. No take up though. Not sure if it's cos I can't write or if they are hiding their heads in the sand. Hope, in a way, it's the latter because...

4) direct, clear Ace representation in fiction (as opposed to including a character who simply doesn't display sexual attraction) in the forthcoming Ace in the Picture but I've posted about this on other threads so I'm reluctant to do so here, too.

• 3 weeks later...
Horse Ham Radio

Hey, sorry for disappearing from this thread for a few weeks. I suddenly had some major stuff come up in my life that took up all of my time. I will get back to adding to this list and finishing off the sections later this week, for sure :) I will respond to everyone too. Sorry again!

• 3 weeks later...
Canadian_geek
On 2/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, Heart said:

:wub:

Thank you!!!

I'd also like to throw out some kudos to Brian Langevin (I forget their AVEN name, if they are still active here) for being the executive director of Asexual Outreach (AO). AO is an organisation that works to provide support for local on-the-ground ace and aro communities, and Brian really is a driving force! They made a website to plot all the Canadian and American local ace and aro groups too, it's a really cool interactive map: https://acesandaros.org/groups/

I'm pretty sure Brian's AVEN screen name is @Ballore.

Thought you would like to know. 

Archived