Sex and falling in love?? Do you need one for the other to happen?

Meta4icalMe

On 2/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, CBC said:

Well you said that when we talk about love, we're actually taking about sex, 

This is a reply which is including your past responses, as well as this quote by you.... I was not the person who said that. That was a comment made by MiffKeks ( who had every right to voice an opinion without your attack of it ) so once again you should really pay attention to whom says what when you feel like giving a snarky reply to someone WHO DID NOT MAKE THE COMMENT or otherwise.

Your the one who has your Gender as “Bitch” which is telling everyone something you know about yourself....sooooo maybe you should try not being one in your replies. OR MAYBE, have you ever thought about an apology for your behavior towards others...or perhaps just being positive and not rude in your replies???

As far as your opinions, I’m not inclined to pay attention to them as you can’t control your snarky attitude nor do your opinions matter to me as you have shown no kindness or wisdom on this subject. Obviously at this point you have garnered my dislike and disrespect for your comments and I am beyond irritated by you. 

I would like to suggest you think and know who’s commenting before making your replies and stop attacking others who do not share your opinions.

Once again, take a beat, tic toc 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 2/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Meta4icalMe said:

Ignore it MiffKets. Some people feel the need to be snarky about things and keep up the bullying towards someone who said something they feel they have a right to attack.....

You have just as much right to voice an opinion as anyone. Unfortunately some people feel their opinion is the only valid one so they overreact. 

Personally when I see a posted thread that I can’t add to in a positive way, I use restraint and pass it by rather than attack someone. It would have been nice to see that others could have done the same thing on my posted thread in stead of attacking you.

I'm sorry you have been treated that way 💐

A breath of fresh air @Meta4icalMe

Thanks for posting that link @CBC...

There's loads of evidence out there since MRI scanning and neurology became 'sexy'.

I managed to attend quite a few lectures on this at Cheltenham Science Fair last year and there are some good books just out.

If you want, I'll post details. Prompt me if I forget to get back here soon.

We're beginning to be able to see chemical pathways in real time, it's so exciting! Cambridge now has a mass spectrometer that shows atoms and molecules as if through a microscope. 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, xstatic said:

I'm very interested!

The findings the Dr has shared with me so far, that I’m able to remember are these...

My brains serotonin levels don’t drop like most people when I’m in a relationship or I’m attracted to someone. The drop is importantant because it cranks up sexual desire.

My brain also shows no evidence of the strong concentrated chemical cocktail given off when attracted to a man or in a relationship. The cocktail creates similar effects to addiction or obsessive behavior towards the person you feel attracted to. IE: wanting to spend all your time with them, jealousy, or thinking about them all the time like normal peoples brains do.

My brain is lacking normal amounts of Nerve Growth Factor ( Neurotrophins and Euphoria ) these increase emotional dependency in the brains of sexual people.

My Endocrine System does not create a lust response.

My Hypothalamus does not chemically prime my body for sex.

My brain also does not excrete steroid hormones, which in turn, amp-up sexual desire.

The Temporo-Parietal Junction of my brain doesn’t light up like a normal person’s does when they see someone they are attracted to. Essentially when normal people see someone they are attracted to, their brain automatically judges their own “self image” in comparison... so it lights up in the brain, which in turn causes a lust response. The Dr said he found that extremely interesting because only the A-sexual patients in his study don’t have a response in the Temporo-Parietal Junction.

My brain produces less dopamine but it produces higher levels of Corticotrophin Releasing Factor Norepinephrine (neurons) in my brain stem.

Those are the things I can remember or that I wrote down in notes that he discussed with me. Once again, I’m not aware of what others are showing in the study but from the way the Dr talks these are all things that he is finding with the other 99 in the study.

21 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

A breath of fresh air @Meta4icalMe

Thank you ☺️ I firmly believe we all have a right to our freedoms and to believe as we like “but” no one has the right to be rude or bully another just because they don’t align with what they believe or feel. Its shear egotistical thinking when someone thinks everyone should see it their way or the highway.

2 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Was he scanning for these kinds of things or did it come up in the course of something else? 

Telecaster68, I’m in a A-sexual study of 100 people. It will last 3 to 5 years. I’m 15 months into being studied. I’ve never met nor am I allowed to meet the others being studied.

Without making the story long, They are running tests on all of us. Among other things, brain scans are being done so they can see what is happening in the brain during certain type of stimulus. Blood tests are also done during these test to see what’s happening in the blood..... so many kinds of tests are being done. I also wear a rig that keeps track of how my heart responds to what I’m seeing during certain tests.

Hope this answers your question

1 hour ago, CBC said:

You're right, it does say "bitch" there so I might as well be one. 

Try showing some restraint by staying off my thread since you have nothing positive to add and only seem interested in stirring the pot and being a bully  ... others here actually want to talk respectfully about this topic. 

Take a beat to think about how you present yourself on this forum and learn some respect of others.... it’s part of knowing wisdom.

Tic Toc

31 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Thanks, that's really interesting. 

One other thing....Chocolate was part of the test. They had me eat it so they could test my brain and body results after eating it.

It showed the levels of oxytocin my brain produced were higher than normal and that during the test I ate more of it than normal.

I’ve never noticed it before, but I crave chocolate and when I do, I will eat a lot of it at one sitting. I’m not big a sweets so I’ve never paid attention to it before. I eat chocolate about 3 to 4 times a month when a craving hits me, other wise I never eat sweets because I prefer spicy or salty things.

( oxytocin is what the brain produces during sexual climax )

1 minute ago, chandrakirti said:

That's really exciting @Meta4icalMe...if you don't mind, can you keep us posted about the study? I'd love to hear more.

You bet. As I find out stuff I’ll add it to this thread.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Thank you so much! There are the 'flat earth' thinkers who don't believe that neurochemistry can influence behaviour, which is probably par for the course in our 'post truth' society.

Every study that shows the correlation between neurochemical and endocrine pathways with behaviour is a step closer to understanding what actually makes us tick!

38 minutes ago, Meta4icalMe said:

Chocolate was part of the test.

Interesting.  I am a regular chocolate eater and crave it if I miss a “dose.”  I do have a sweet tooth in general but my desire for chocolate is much stronger than my desire for sweet things in general.

1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

Well, there's the excuse for chocolate tonight!😆

My excuse for chocolate is that there is chocolate.  😂

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Interesting.  I am a regular chocolate eater and crave it if I miss a “dose.”  I do have a sweet tooth in general but my desire for chocolate is much stronger than my desire for sweet things in general.

That’s what the study shows... A-sexual people have strong cravings for chocolate and don’t just eat a little bit when we indulge. My average will be about 6 to 8 chocolate bars through out one day or a whole bag a chocolate chips, the dark semi sweet ones...sometimes I will eat chocolate for 2 days in a row. And then I won’t eat it again for about a week.

When I was in my 20’s and 30’s I craved chocolate daily and I indulged. As I’ve gotten older I eat less because the cravings are fewer. I have Celiac Disease so I’m slender and I’ve never packed on the pounds from the cravings.

Its funny you call your chocolate “a dose” because when they allow me to eat it, they also call it dosing me with chocolate 😁

4 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Well, there's the excuse for chocolate tonight!😆

Go for it 😂 it’s sex for your brain .... that’s what the Dr told me anyways. The darker chocolate works best for creating oxytocin... It’s an actual addiction reaction in us because our brain has re-routed how it gets it into our body with chocolate. I wish I could remember exactly what the Dr said about it. I’m paraphrasing what he said but it’s what he said in a nutshell.

Its really hard to not eat it when I want now. They haven’t allowed me to eat it for three weeks and a couple of days ago I started feeling depressed.... I was told to expect that to happen. I will go in next week for another psychological examination then they will test me while they allow me to eat chocolate.... then they will do an immediate scan of my brain. I stay over night for the sleep test and then I take another psychological test mid-day. I’ve done this 3 times so far and this will be my fourth time doing it. They do it about every 4 months it seems.

3 hours ago, Meta4icalMe said:

That’s what the study shows... A-sexual people have strong cravings for chocolate and don’t just eat a little bit when we indulge. My average will be about 6 to 8 chocolate bars through out one day or a whole bag a chocolate chips, the dark semi sweet ones...sometimes I will eat chocolate for 2 days in a row. And then I won’t eat it again for about a week.

When I was in my 20’s and 30’s I craved chocolate daily and I indulged. As I’ve gotten older I eat less because the cravings are fewer. I have Celiac Disease so I’m slender and I’ve never packed on the pounds from the cravings.

Its funny you call your chocolate “a dose” because when they allow me to eat it, they also call it dosing me with chocolate 😁

Whaaaaaat??  That's really interesting!  My ace s/o loooves chocolate.  Like way more than anyone I know.  I guess I got him the right gift for Valentine's Day!  (4 boxes of Thin Mints) 😂😂😂

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
9 hours ago, ryn2 said:

My excuse for chocolate is that there is chocolate.  😂

Haha! That used to be mine...but I'll take the scientific proof to back it up now!😆

4 hours ago, xstatic said:

Whaaaaaat??  That's really interesting!  My ace s/o loooves chocolate.  Like way more than anyone I know.  I guess I got him the right gift for Valentine's Day!  (4 boxes of Thin Mints) 😂😂😂

Isn’t it interesting! I feel very lucky to be part of the study and just the chocolate study shows that our brain/body chem is different from the sexual norms....we are our own norm 🙂

They are testing other foods and vitamins as well but I don’t know much about those because the dietician doesn’t share much. It was Jeckal ( Drs nickname ) that shared the chocolate info with me. There are about 15 professionals I’ve seen during this trial and Jeckal is the one that shares interesting things he’s found about my cause and effect...I really enjoy talking to him and he has shared with me that his wife is A-sexual. She’s the reason he spear headed finding out why we are like this. It’s my hope that by the end of the study the reasons for why we are the way we are, will be transparent....answers finally 😉

How did you find out about the study?

Did you answer a questionnaire in order for the researchers to determine that you met their criteria for an asexual?

I like unsweetened bakers chocolate but don't gorge on it.  Being required to eat 6 milk chocolate candy bars wouldn't work for me.  Such a weirdo, am I right? :lol:

Lucinda

10 minutes ago, Lucinda said:

Being required to eat 6 milk chocolate candy bars wouldn't work for me

I don’t like milk chocolate and would struggle to eat six candy bars in a sitting, but I could definitely eat six servings of good dark/semisweet chocolate in a day if I didn’t intentionally limit myself.  I also notice that eating the chocolate does not lessen the craving.

The thing is:. Many people who aren't asexual crave chocolate.  Are we to conclude they are not having enough sex?  And if a non-asexual receives chocolate for Valentine's, will they want more or less sex?

😕 

Lucinda

9 minutes ago, Lucinda said:

The thing is:. Many people who aren't asexual crave chocolate.  Are we to conclude they are not having enough sex?  And if a non-asexual receives chocolate for Valentine's, will they want more or less sex?

😕

Lucinda

Oh, totally agreed.  I’m likely not asexual.  I just find the topic interesting because I have unusual (non)reactions to many things and have always been curious as to how that - biochemistry, mental health, etc. - all ties together.

1 hour ago, Lucinda said:

How did you find out about the study?

Did you answer a questionnaire in order for the researchers to determine that you met their criteria for an asexual?

I like unsweetened bakers chocolate but don't gorge on it.  Being required to eat 6 milk chocolate candy bars wouldn't work for me.  Such a weirdo, am I right? :lol:

Lucinda

I have a friend who knows the Dr that started the study. She and her husband were at his home for a dinner party and the subject, at that time was the upcoming study on what brain related biological and chemical causes there might be in the makeup of an A-sexual person. She told him about me and that she felt I was perfect for it. She sent me a text and asked if it was okay to give them my number... that’s how it started.

An appointment was made to go speak with him and others for about 3 hours.  I also filled out their questionnaire and release forms.

You misunderstood about the chocolate amount.... my cravings will have me eat that much during a day or 2. The study test only requires you to eat at least the equivalent of about a candy bar and a half during the testing period...but you are encouraged to eat as much as your craving needs to satisfy you.

I’m pretty sure each person in the study requires different amounts for their cravings....so no, you’re not weird 😉

We are required to eat only dark chocolate as it releases the most oxytocin from the brain I was told. Which works just fine with me because I adore dark chocolate and it makes me feel fantastic almost euphoric when I eat it! I love it when the dietician cooks this amazing dark chocolate cake that makes my toes curl with delight! If you bought a slice of it at a fancy restaurant I bet it would cost about $25. So far it’s been my favorite thing in the eating chocolate tests which is unusual because I’m not a cake eater... Oh and I get to have a glass of this amazing red wine with it 😋

Drinking certain amounts of alcohol are in the test as well for testing my inhibition changes or sexual responses while intoxicated.

Sometimes the tests are lots of fun and I don’t have to worry about driving home... they have me sleep there to test my brains sleep and dream patterns after chocolate and or alcohol.

53 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Do you know if there's a control group, for instance to compare the responses to chocolate?

Yes, there is. They have 100 A-sexuals in the controlled study and 100 normal sexually active people to compare their reactions with. We all take the same tests. The ages range from 18 to 65 with 50 women and 50 men in each group of study. That’s all I am allowed to know about the other people in the study.

Hope this helps you

2 hours ago, Lucinda said:

😕

Lucinda

It’s not just about the craving it’s about the difference in the amount of oxytocin the brain produces and how it affects the pleasure center of the brain and the bodies reaction to it from what I understand.

Lucinda, chocolate is craved by all kinds of people but the tests are focusing on why it seems that A-sexual people in general have stronger cravings for it... the Dr said that they are curious to find out if the brains of an A-sexual craves it in substitution and does the body find the same satisfaction from it as sex in the normally sexually active group. Also the levels of oxytocin being secreted by the brain....They compare it to someone in the study who has just had sex verses the A-sexual who has just ate chocolate.

Does this help answer your question? I wish I could go into more detailed explainations but I can only share the things I’m privy to or that have been explained by the Dr before the tests.

Hmm. I have no cravings for chocolate, and if given a choice of flavors chocolate will likely be the last one I would choose. I do like an occasional good chocolate candy bar, or a good chocolate from a box of chocolates. So I am not anti-chocolate. It is just that I can take it or leave it, and the latter is the usual wish.

But I am not purely asexual either, although I think I lean way closer to the asexual end of the spectrum than to the other end. 

8 hours ago, Meta4icalMe said:

I’m pretty sure each person in the study requires different amounts for their cravings....so no, you’re not weird 😉

We are required to eat only dark chocolate as it releases the most oxytocin from the brain I was told.

Well, this would totally disqualify me from the study! I love chocolate, but I don't like dark chocolate. There's no way I could go for years not being able to eat chocolate because regular milk chocolate isn't allowed, lol!

Archived