Cibophobia (fear of food)

Asexual_Goddess

Asexual_Goddess

Hi! I have suffered from cibophobia  as a result of my OCD and Aspergers and I was wondering if anyone else would like to share their experience. Currently, I am limited to under 30 foods (estimation) , most of which are snack foods... and I have not tried anything new in years. I also can not be near foods I dislike or I will have anxiety. Just thinking about some foods gives me the chills!

Custard Cream

That sounds awful. It must be horrible having a phobia that has such a big impact on your life. 

I find the very idea genuinely horrifying. My own (minor) condition causes me enough grief, I can't even begin to imagine how awful yours must be! D=

SorryNotSorry

Hmm... are you sure you're a cibophobe or a supertaster?

I don't have cibophobia, but I do have questions if that's okay :)

Asexual_Goddess
5 hours ago, Homer said:

I don't have cibophobia, but I do have questions if that's okay :)

Sure, ask away!!

Asexual_Goddess
6 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Hmm... are you sure you're a cibophobe or a supertaster?

Perhaps... but my fear originated with my Aspergers/OCD.

Loofah B. Shampoo

I don't think I have this in particular, but I hate eating and put it off as long as I can (until it hurts, sometimes) because the sound it makes bothers me.

If anyone eats soup near me, I lose my mind.

Asexual_Goddess
1 hour ago, Loofah B. Shampoo said:

I don't think I have this in particular, but I hate eating and put it off as long as I can (until it hurts, sometimes) because the sound it makes bothers me.

If anyone eats soup near me, I lose my mind.

That could involve sensory such as misophonia, my sister has something very similar.

Loofah B. Shampoo
14 hours ago, ConfusedQueer1 said:

That could involve sensory such as misophonia, my sister has something very similar.

Yeah, that's what we've been suspecting! Pretty sure that's what I have, but I don't want to self diagnose.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:55 AM, ConfusedQueer1 said:

Sure, ask away!!

What are you afraid of in particular? As in, if there's a plate of food sitting on a table, what's the worst thing that can happen to you in your mind?

Asexual_Goddess

@Homer I am mostly afraid of the taste, smell, and texture of the foods rather than fearing choking. In my mind certain  foods on the tables are disgusting, and should not be touched or eaten, mostly due to smells and how it was prepared. This makes my diet extremely restricted, and makes eating out difficult. I also will only eat food from specific places that I know are “safe”.

So... what does your diet consist of? :)

I got ARFID (avoidant restrictive food intake disorder) and I think I have a type of cibophobia (maybe not on the phobia level, but somewhere on that fear spectrum) when it comes to certain tastes and textures 

Asexual_Goddess
Just now, Homer said:

So... what does your diet consist of? :)

Most nights it consists of rice or pasta, broccoli tops, and bacon. Though I will also eat pizza prepared a specific way, and tacos only containing specific meat, seasoning, and corn. For lunch I mostly eat snack foods such as cashews, freeze dried strawberries, pretzels, and crackers, all from specific companies. I usually don’t eat breakfast, but when I do it is usually pancakes or toast.

Asexual_Goddess
4 minutes ago, FaesariPrincess said:

I got ARFID (avoidant restrictive food intake disorder) and I think I have a type of cibophobia (maybe not on the phobia level, but somewhere on that fear spectrum) when it comes to certain tastes and textures 

I also may have a form of ARFID that is a possible outcome of my other mental disorders, specifically my OCD. I would say I have ARFID, though I am not going to claim something that may not be true, so I classify it as cibophobia, or food neophobia.

Asexual_Goddess
4 hours ago, Loofah B. Shampoo said:

Yeah, that's what we've been suspecting! Pretty sure that's what I have, but I don't want to self diagnose.

I have a similar issue where I think I may have ARFID, though I don’t want to self diagnose. I was however diagnosed with Aspergers and OCD when I was little.

18 hours ago, ConfusedQueer1 said:

I get misophonia when I have to hear other people masticate in a quiet surrounding. background sounds like music or tv or other people talking help distract from those horrid sounds. I only get uneasy when my own chewing sounds break the silence, so I always make sure that there is something else to concentrate on. 

Asexual_Goddess
4 minutes ago, Nima said:

I get misophonia when I have to hear other people masticate in a quiet surrounding. background sounds like music or tv or other people talking help distract from those horrid sounds. I only get uneasy when my own chewing sounds break the silence, so I always make sure that there is something else to concentrate on. 

I can’t imagine how horrible that must be! I have a somewhat personal connection to this due to my older sister, who becomes very agitated with mouth noises. I myself often have to deal with serious motor tics with my shoulders and neck making it near impossible to sit still, but not being able to tolerate your own chewing seems horrible!

Loofah B. Shampoo
8 minutes ago, ConfusedQueer1 said:

I have a similar issue where I think I may have ARFID, though I don’t want to self diagnose. I was however diagnosed with Aspergers and OCD when I was little.

I have ADHD, but that's all that we know for sure. My doctors are telling me I'm depressed, but I don't feel it. Mostly upset 'cuz of the sound thing.

Archived