NEW ASEXUALITY DOCUMENTARY!

yazybee

Hi everyone!

It's Yasmin Benoit again! I wanted to share the latest asexuality documentary with you. It's by Charlie Bell at Sky News, and it stars myself, Thom & Steve Winter-Grey, and Emi Salida! The full verison is on YouTube and there's a shorter one on Facebook. :)

Please share it, comment, and let us know what you think! (I'd recommend ignoring the comments under the videos, though!)

Those were good interviews! Well done, Skynews!

Yes; some of the comments underneath the videos aren't great, but I was surprised and glad to see asexuals responding to them, trying to educate them about asexuality, because if only the cruel, incorrect assumptions were left in the comment section, it'd probably leave more people believing those stereotypes and negative assumptions, without anyone correcting them.

I really liked that piece, and I'm glad that Sky News have tried to debunk some stereotypes and myths around asexuality. 

Hay that was great - thought it was really good of them to include the gay couple also showing that it's not just women who can be ace which tbh is the feeling I use to get looking online at asexuality.

Also, power to you for both your career and the interview!

It's a well done video.  We need more like this.

Definitely thanks for sharing! If we could get more of these kind of pieces, then maybe misconceptions would be less likely! :) 

Some of those comments.... ugh.

Good video though. :)

:D I thought the comment about how asexuals just need to drink alcohol in order to develop sexual attraction was kind of funny, since some asexuals like myself, have drank alcohol before, which didn't change anything.

Gosh, those who apparently aren't asexual are giving bad/false advice in the comments section of the YouTube video: "...drink alcohol...take drugs...and they won't be asexual, anymore." I hope there aren't any young asexuals reading that who might seriously take their advice. 

Well. I did it.

I found an old facebook account I have and commented on the facebook one. 😛 OOooh boy. Please lord keep the trolls away, amen.

22 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@Shiloh_Rose That's brave of you. The Facebook comments are worse.

I've just made a couple informative comments and a couple kind of sillyish/light-hearted ones.

Like when people are like 'oh they must all be vegans' (I like my cheeseburgers and chickenwing pizza, thank you) or 'how can they not be turned on by anything' (well, does wanting chickenwing pizza all the time count? What about cats? I love cats, they're so cute. Oh, and Elder Scrolls... can't wait for the next one)

I dunno. I'm terrified of any responses. XD But. I mean. It's kinda nice, for however long this account lasts. I forgot about it until I wanted to make comments and support; then I was like hmmm I wonder if it was still there? It was, so I did.

And yes. Many of the facebook comments are quite scary.

8 hours ago, Shiloh_Rose said:

And yes. Many of the facebook comments are quite scary.

9 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@Shiloh_Rose That's brave of you. The Facebook comments are worse.

They are definitely worse. I had to stop reading them for my own sanity. 

@AmazingGrAce Yes. I couldn't read all of the comments, either, which were just a lot of the same negative, hurtful comments that were already said. 

If it helps you and anyone else to not feel as hurt, bothered, etc. from those angry comments, I'm thinking that, perhaps, they're not really angry at asexuals for asexuality, but more angry about politics and how many in the younger generations are liberals and not conservatives, like them. Perhaps, they're really worried and angry about the possibility of the younger generation outnumbering them in political voting because I noticed that many of the comments were about disparaging the younger generation, Millenials, etc. calling them "liberals." So, they just lash out at the younger generation with those hurtful comments.

They're just not aware of the fact that the younger generation didn't "invent" asexuality, that psychologist Alfred Kinsey already knew, through his research, that people without sexual attraction existed, back in the 1940s/1950s.

1 hour ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@AmazingGrAce Yes. I couldn't read all of the comments, either, which were just a lot of the same negative, hurtful comments that were already said. 

If it helps you and anyone else to not feel as hurt, bothered, etc. from those angry comments, I'm thinking that, perhaps, they're not really angry at asexuals for asexuality, but more angry about politics and how many in the younger generations are liberals and not conservatives, like them. Perhaps, they're really worried and angry about the possibility of the younger generation outnumbering them in political voting because I noticed that many of the comments were about disparaging the younger generation, Millenials, etc. calling them "liberals." So, they just lash out at the younger generation with those hurtful comments.

They're just not aware of the fact that the younger generation didn't "invent" asexuality, that psychologist Alfred Kinsey already knew, through his research, that people without sexual attraction existed, back in the 1940s/1950s.

That is true - there is a visible backlash against liberal ideas.

Frustratingly what I have also seen is social conservatives who blame the 'left' for the increased discourse around sexuality and gender (thinking specifically about transgender people and non-binary/gender fluid people), forgetting that people can be right-wing politically and care about these issues. You can be a liberal without being left-wing per se, and classical liberalism is certainly more right-wing. It's mad. 

I also can't understand the objection to more open discussion about these issues, and alternate ways of being and living. However I suppose this may have something to do with a rejection of diversity and multiculturalism. 

I did just reach a point with this one person, I have no idea how to reply to her. I can reply to some things, which I have been, but when they want to compare asexuality to disliking brown applesauce or something and calling themselves 'abrownsauce' I really don't know where to go from there. >.< (I a little bit, 'can't even')
I did write a reply and saved it to my computer, but its... eh. I am not good at these things.

I just-we've been putting 'labels' on things and making up words to define or describe everything for, well, forever. For science, or simply for us to attempt to better understand something. It's not a new concept; and/but also to me, disliking food is not at all the same as asexuality, but for some reason I just can't... I don't know how to express that to this person and help them understand. But I don't think they would anyway. I don't know.

Back to Avalon

Thanks for the link, @yazybee. I thought the documentary was well done. The interviewer seems to understand asexuality, was sympathetic to the people he interviewed, and mostly let them speak for themselves. I hope the people who did that BBC documentary see this!

ButterflyBlues

I have been going through and replying to the comments because I have nothing better to do with my life LOL

A person has to be very brave to appear in a video like this, there are so many weirdos and jerks out there waiting for any excuse to make trouble for anyone who is different.

@thylacinealthough I agree that there’s a lot of weirdos out there, I also think there’s a lot more understanding too, back when I was young, being gay would get you in a tight spot, gay bashing as it was commonly known was a regular occurrence, now it’s more widely accepted and gay marriage, back along, that just wouldn’t be acceptable, sad to say, mostly by my generation and the generations before me.

I’ve only heard of one other article related to asexuality on mainstream tv, I personally don’t own a tv so I’m less likely to know of these things, but hearing presenters on a radio program stating that they have not heard of the term until mentioned does tend to show the lack of knowledge and understanding with regard to the asexual community, I’m glad to see us lot slowly becoming recognised.

I hope you are right, Old Geeza.

Archived