• Aussie Rules Football
    • Canadian Football
    • Gaelige Football
    • Rugby Union
    • Rugby League
    • Beach Football
    • Another type of football

This poll is closed to new votes

Again in gaelige football's favour, I put forward the argument of musician Amber Arcades

"it's like some sort of Harry Potter Sport"

Primarily soccer, but both rugby codes, gridiron, Gaelige football yup

CaptainMarvel

I like flag football but I guess that’s a type of American Football

American football, I don't care at all for any of those other options. Although I'll also say that I'm not a huge fan of it, and that I never really cared for it either until I was basically forced to watch it because of marching band.

None

A vote for "association football" (or simply "football" as it's known here).

Having said that, I haven't really watched much football in the recent years, with the exception of the last year's World Cup.

Mainly MLS 9America's premier soccer division for men), but in the past, cable showed Super 12 Rugby (now Super Rugby) which was fun. For soccer, I follow Seattle Sounders FC and Manchester City FC and others, both men and women. My rugby team was Highlanders.

Not huge into American football, but my city is getting a team in that Alliance of American Football, so we'll see how that is. Not so much kicking, I guess.

• 10 months later...

And that league ended up folding halfway through anyhow. Maybe I'll go watch some indoor football. We still have that.

AceMissBehaving
1 hour ago, CBC said:

Anything that isn't Canadian or American football (which may as well be the same thing, as far as I'm concerned). I feel vaguely like a bad Canadian or North American for saying that, but whatever. One of the dumbest sports I've seen. I have an irrational hatred of it.

Oh my gosh hard same!!!!!! American football is the only sport I actively despise. I don’t know exactly why, but my brain just seethes when it’s on, like a physical reaction. I don’t think it’s so much the sport itself, but the culture and politics around it maybe, along with the way it’s presented. Either way if it’s on TV I can almost feel my brain scratching to get out, it’s really unsettling.

Soccer. I never really watched soccer, except for EURO or world cups, but lately I have been watching it a lot and actually enjoying it. I also like beach football, but I don't really see it a lot.

Janus the Fox

A bit of Rugby League, sometimes the Rugby World Cup and the Rugby 6 nations or Scrum V, Wales does pretty well in those. I may watch the Football World Cup final Or to see how Wales are doing. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 

The Barefoot Backpacker

I never realised how good Aussie Rules was until I went there and watched a game. It felt to me like the game rugby *should* be.

I grew up in Liverpool, so you'd have thought 'soccer' would have been my answer, and while I still listen to it on the radio (and it's the sport I've watched the most, live), I wouldn't say I was a strong 'fan' of it. Though in October I did realise one of my more odd 'bucket list' ambitions to go to a stadium to watch an international match between two countries who ... will never compete for a major trophy: I saw Liechtenstein host Armenia. (1-1 for the record, far more Armenians in the crowd than Liechtensteiners - apparently Armenia has a huge diaspora in Switzerland.)

I grew up in Liverpool too and have supported Liverpool for as long as I can remember. I'm sure I voted  in the census and it would have been for soccer. I quite like rugby league too . More than union anyway. It's faster than union and more is going on. I read that, on average, the ball is in play ( in the sense of players running)  for 50 out of 80 minutes in league but only for 30 in union. 

The Barefoot Backpacker
3 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I grew up in Liverpool too and have supported Liverpool for as long as I can remember. I'm sure I voted  in the census and it would have been for soccer. I quite like rugby league too . More than union anyway. It's faster than union and more is going on. I read that, on average, the ball is in play ( in the sense of players running)  for 50 out of 80 minutes in league but only for 30 in union. 

I was brought up as a Blue ...

Yeh, I always preferred Rugby League - it always seemed a much faster, tactical game, so I'm not surprised by that stat.
The school I went to concentrated almost entirely on Rugby Union and I never got to grips with it.

11 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I quite like rugby league too . More than union anyway. It's faster than union and more is going on. I read that, on average, the ball is in play ( in the sense of players running)  for 50 out of 80 minutes in league but only for 30 in union. 

I watched YT highlights of some RU World Cup matches. Given your endorsment I'm going to watch some rugby league ones to compare. Although, given how little I actually know about the game I probably won't be able to appreciate the difference...

The history of the two is interesting @Piotrek. It started off aound the 1850 s as just Union but ,in the industrial towns of the north of England, the players were given payments so they could practise and play without losing their normal working pay. That caused a huge rift as the powerful administrating board wanted to keep things amateur. Eventually some of the northern clubs broke away, first as the Northern Rugby Union, then as Rugby League. At the same time ( and finally relevant to your post!) they changed some of the rules to make the game faster, more open in play and more watchable. 13 on the pitch instead of 15, back  heels, scrums are different etc. There was some great back heel play in October's Tonga v GB Lions in the Rugby League World Cup recently. Might be worth looking for that one.

( but I'm a soccer fan, really. Boo! @The Barefoot Backpacker The blues, indeed!)

american football and rugby league. as a former “soccer” player, i find association football to be quite silly at times. 

The Barefoot Backpacker
4 hours ago, Tunhope said:

The history of the two is interesting @Piotrek. It started off aound the 1850 s as just Union but ,in the industrial towns of the north of England, the players were given payments so they could practise and play without losing their normal working pay. That caused a huge rift as the powerful administrating board wanted to keep things amateur. Eventually some of the northern clubs broke away, first as the Northern Rugby Union, then as Rugby League. At the same time ( and finally relevant to your post!) they changed some of the rules to make the game faster, more open in play and more watchable. 13 on the pitch instead of 15, back  heels, scrums are different etc. There was some great back heel play in October's Tonga v GB Lions in the Rugby League World Cup recently. Might be worth looking for that one.

( but I'm a soccer fan, really. Boo! @The Barefoot Backpacker The blues, indeed!)

Hehe!

Wasn't there also a lot of 'fluidity' between rugby and soccer in those days; teams switched every so often. Bradford (Park Avenue) are interesting as they (presumably) started off as Union, helped form the NRU, then half of them decided to take up soccer instead! [In fact, I've noticed in research that Bradford City FC did the same, starting as Manningham playing Rugby Union then League].

Does flag football count? I prefer where people aren't injured horrible through tackling each other, but still Ameircan. 

My favourite foot ball:

original.jpeg

• 2 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived