Should schools talk about asexuality at a special assembly?

Duskwolf

I've been thinking for a while now. Should I do a Ted x style talk with a presentation ect, at my school? I feel that it could help n I think other schools should do this because almost nobody seems to know asexuality is real. And many that know it don't really know much at all. I'm afraid of my mom finding out if I do this, because she won't let me tell others about my sexuality but at school IDC I talk. I need encouragement.... I want to do it but I'm afraid to. To me it's important and I like to inform others.... I helped a freind out after I explained asexuality and she said she might be, so I showed her a pamphlet I made and she's now an aromantic asexual. I've met alot of Ace's...... I did a class presentation in relationships on it. I've talked to many about it but for some reason I'm afraid of my mom finding out if I go n take it to the stage for all to see. I don't have stage fright it's just, my mom is trying to keep me in the closet and I'm pushing myself out of it. 

It depends on what level of school we're talking here. If you're talking high school, I think the best/most appropriate "presentation" style would be a powerpoint at a LGBT club. If we're talking college/university, I think the most fitting presentation would be with the school's LGBT club and/or human sexuality class. High school presents its own unique challenges when educating students and teachers about LGBT matters. There's also the problem that you're dealing with minors and parents have a tendency to get sue-happy/go "nuts" if anything "questionable" is presented to the students. 

If you do a presentation then I think it is likely your Mum find will find out (if a whole school knows then surely the information will get to her somehow). She has no right to make you stay in the closet, but you have to think carefully about whether you want to come out so publically and to so many people at once (of course you could always give the talk without actually coming out). I also thing doing it within a sex ed class woud be good, I think people should be taught about 'alternative' sexualities and I would include asexuality in this. Doing it at an LGBT club might limit your audience to people who already know a bit about asexuality,  

I'm not sure about the presentation, but I remember from my brief experience in health class that asexuality (Any many other non-conventional orientations) were discussed quite frequently. It seemed pretty well accepted by everyone, though I can't know if this will be similar with your own school.

Depending on the country, I suppose? In my place I would love to see it in Biology-class. Students have sexual education at least 3 or 4 times in their school life over here and it's always very popular with the kids and teens, so why not take the time to describe a variety of genders and sexualities if they're already at it?

3 hours ago, Kumoku said:

[...] here's also the problem that you're dealing with minors and parents have a tendency to get sue-happy/go "nuts" if anything "questionable" is presented to the students. 

That's what I fear would ruin my plan though :(.

Even though sexual education is part of the curriculum the parents still need to sign a piece of paper to agree. However, they might get sued if they disagree and cannot present a "good reason" to keep their children from participating. Always big trouble... ............ Education should be a right and NOT depending on parents but that's just a crazy f*ck-accident of un-employed people talking... ...

Archived