Are asexuals oppressed?

zoe_eevee

I saw a post on Reddit a post claiming that asexuals weren't oppressed, thought and opinions? (without getting angee) (I'm also ace y'all)

Not in a legal sense or as systematic oppression, but it's an oppression that's fueled by what society has typically deemed normal.

Galactic Turtle

I'd say they're misunderstood. However in the United States there are hundreds of laws on the Federal level alone that favor married couples at the expense of those who do not marry. You could say that has an above average impact on asexual and a romantic individuals. 

Yeah, how are we thinking of oppression? Are we talking being targeted and publicly/politically criticized because that can't happen when people don't know we're a thing. But if we're talking not being excepted or recognized by the society we live in, I guess maybe. It depends on how you think of it. 

I can only go by my personal experience and I'm not oppressed in any way.

lol no. There's a difference between feeling like you don't connect with society through it's media/movies/music and other interest regarding sex, having people misunderstand you in conversation and relationship endeavors, and even treat you badly… and actually being oppressed."Oppression" is a very systematic word and it really refers to more than just attitude in society, but also attitude within the legal & justice system towards a target group of people.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, Peachyy said:

Oppression" is a very systematic word and it really refers to more than just attitude in society, but also attitude within the legal & justice system towards a target group of people.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, Galactic Turtle said:

However in the United States there are hundreds of laws on the Federal level alone that favor married couples at the expense of those who do not marry.

2 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

Wouldn't this count as systematic prejudice, thus a form of oppression (albeit rather minor)?

Although there is nothing stopping asexuals from getting married, other than that it's really hard to find compatible people. 

44 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

but it's an oppression that's fueled by what society has typically deemed normal.

How does it show? Is there something you aren't allowed to do/say/whatevs because you are asexual? (General you, ofc)

Joe the Stoic
Just now, A. Sterling said:

Although there is nothing stopping asexuals from getting married, other than that it's really hard to find compatible people. 

It's really hard for everyone to do this, I think.  Look at all the divorces, in addition to the people that never marry.  A lot of marriages are failures.

Just now, Homer said:

How does it show? Is there something you aren't allowed to do/say/??? because you are asexual? (General you, ofc)

We're allowed to do and say things, but many aces don't feel free to express themselves due to the messages that are served by most media. A lot of people see being ace as subhuman or inhuman, even aces who don't know that they're ace.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, A. Sterling said:

Although there is nothing stopping asexuals from getting married,

3 minutes ago, Rob Boss said:

It's really hard for everyone to do this, I think.  Look at all the divorces, in addition to the people that never marry.  A lot of marriages are failures.

Yes, but that only further serves my point that the systematic discrimination against non-married people can not be viewed as oppression against any given sexuality so long as they are legally allowed to try to be married if they wish.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, A. Sterling said:

systematic discrimination against non-married people can not be viewed as oppression against any given sexuality so long as they are legally allowed to try to be married if they wish.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, Homer said:

I can only go by my personal experience and I'm not oppressed in any way

Just now, Dreamsexual said:

So defining marriage only in terms of heteronormativity is not oppressive?  Hmmmm.  Maybe.  But it's a a tight semantic argument.

No, I think it is because I think that cultural biases predispose people to favor those who fit a particular mould, therefore those who don't will have a harder way with many things. I agree with your point about the government supporting the married versus the non-married. But, I don't think it could be viewed as a singularly ace issue since everyone who is not classically married is being unfairly treated. 

More accurately, you don't feel/experience oppression.  It may be possible to be oppressed without noticing it :)

I think this happens a lot. But how are people to differentiate?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, A. Sterling said:

don't think it could be viewed as a singularly ace issue since everyone who is not classically married is being unfairly treated. 

It doesn't it doesn't need to be singularly aces that are oppressed, just that are they are a subset of the oppressed.  For example, both gay men and lesbian women were subsets of the group 'oppressed' (arguable) by heteronormative marriage laws.  Likewise, aces might be a subset of a larger oppressed group of celibates.

True.

If oppression is systematic and legal then the only way to know is by delineating the specific systems/laws that oppress.  IF that's the correct way of viewing oppression.

How would you define oppression, in your own opinion? I think it goes beyond the legal. I mean, the law just mimics the climate of the culture it exists within. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, A. Sterling said:

How would you define oppression, in your own opinion?

4 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

ive somehow found myself arguing on both sides of this issue.  Oh my!

Me too. 

If it's on Reddit, ignoreit is the best option 

16 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

More accurately, you don't feel/experience oppression.  It may be possible to be oppressed without noticing it :)

I can do what I want and say what I want, as long as I stay within the same rules as anyone else. Fair game for me :)

25 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

Asexuals are one of those groups who don't marry as part of their normal way of living, thus any law that benefits others or excludes them on that basis could possibly be called unjust, or be said to be an example of oppression.

That goes for anyone who wishes not to marry. It's nothing that happens because one is asexual.

I haven't seen anything I'd call oppression. Enough people keep their sex lives private that not having a sex life doesn't really need to be something the rest of the world knows or cares about

firewallflower

Not oppressed, per se. Victims of erasure, certainly, and prejudice; marginalization too, in my opinion, and even outright discrimination. Also worth mentioning that aforementioned erasure may contribute to the lack of systemic oppression; with increased visibility is likely to also come increased pushback/prejudice/oppression. But currently, no, I probably wouldn't currently describe it as oppression on an institutional scale—though that doesn't mean we aren't at a disadvantage. 😕

No, not oppressed. There are people who deny aces exist, or think other crude thoughts about them, but those things are prejudice? Or more likely, stupidity... not really oppression though.
(Though you could argue that prejudice is a form of oppression? But if we follow that logic then everyone on the planet is being oppressed in some way...)

Archived