Older Aces & Aros: What's your living situation?

Galactic Turtle

Crazy Cat Lady

- Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

I am 46 and have lived alone (with cats) for a long time now.

- Do you live in a house? An apartment? A boarding house or dorm of some sort?

I own my duplex (well, one side of it).

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighborhood for anything?

I don't drive, so I have a couple of friends (though they are not immediate neighbours, two live within a 5 minute drive, and a third, probably about a 10-15 minute drive) I will call on for help with picking up cat litter, and other errands that are tricky without a vehicle.

- Do you have a relationship with your neighbors?

Immediate neighbours: the woman who owns the other half of the duplex, we chat sometimes. If necessary, I would feel comfortable asking her for help with some things if I ever needed it. I know the next neighbour over (on the other side of her) by name, but mostly it's just a quick "hi, how are you?" kind of thing.

There is another neighbour (met through our community association book club) who lives just a few houses down and across the street, who would help me if I needed help with things, as well. I would feel fairly comfortable asking her. I'd probably ask her for help with things before my duplex-neighbour.

Overall, though, I do worry as I get older. I don't ever want to have to move again (I HATE moving!), but more than anything, I worry about living alone as I get older, and will (inevitably) find it harder and harder to do things for myself.

kumiko_itoe

Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

I live with my parents, husband, children and 2 cats. 

Apartment 

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone you live with for anything?

Yes. I grew up in a family who support each other and rely on each other when we are unable to help ourselves. Its a give and take thing.

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighborhood for anything?

Not really. Depends on how close we are. So far the furthest I have gone is asking a neighbour to help me receive my parcels.

- Do you have a relationship with the people you live with?

Yes. 

only as far as friendship

- What is your ideal living situation?

Larger home where everyone has their own space. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment where there are 4 adults, 3 children and 2 cats. My ideal would be a 5 bedroom home with more space for my books and music instruments.

- What is your ideal living community?

Away from civilisation if I don't have to work. 

- Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

Alone most of the time. Sometimes visiting family for convenience as they are closer to my workplace.

I have an apartment in a neighborhood that I like: calm, shops nearby, international atmosphere, bloc parties.

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone you live with for anything?

No I would not. Except for my parents and one or two very close friends I do not rely on anyone.

I do not really feel confortable doing so but helping each other is a good way to build some links... I sometimes volunteer for local initiatives (neighbors council, cultural events) or service exchanges (informal or Local exchange trading systems). At work however this should not become too personal.

- Do you have a relationship with the people you live with?

I don't since I live alone.

I enjoy chatting with some of my neighbors when I meet them in the street. We sometimes have tea, nothing more.

- What is your ideal living situation?

Like it is now but with more contacts from friends. I also wish I could spend less time at work and look for a pet again. I miss it so much. My dear chinchilla ended up at my parents due to my workaholic life. Today, I travel a lot and I am never sure that I will be back home in the evening.

- What is your ideal living community?

A welcoming casual multicultural community interested in sustainable development BUT with doors that can be closed.

Archived