Older Aces & Aros: What's your living situation?

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans. ^_^

- Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

- Do you live in a house? An apartment? A boarding house or dorm of some sort?

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone you live with for anything?

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighborhood for anything?

- Do you have a relationship with the people you live with?

- Do you have a relationship with your neighbors?

- What is your ideal living situation?

- What is your ideal living community?

Is 30 older?

I live alone with my two kids. 

Oh heck, I would never rely on anyone in this neighborhood for anything. No way!!! I do need to get my girls teacher to drive them to school if it's raining but that's the extent of it. I can't stand the idea of relying on anyone for anything!

No I don't know my neighbours :o

my ideal living situation would either be as it is now, but super wealthy :P or with a kind of platonic friend who actively contributed to living expenses in exchange for me being able to cook and clean and stuff. Someone who wanted to be part of the family (and was beneficial to it) but without the hassle of sex and romance etc. Someone I could watch movies with and read books with and stuff, in a non-sexual non-romantic way.

My ideal community is one separated from me by a massive wall, haha.

Though I just remembered I'm not ace or aro, I'm just celibate, so maybe my opinion doesn't count :P

I dunno what sorta age range you're looking for, but I'll be 30 this year. At the moment I'm living with dad. We're living in a 2 bedroom unit, and given the price of places like this in town where I live, it's sorta hard to not live with someone. In a way, it's handy to have someone there to help pay some of the bills in that regard. I don't really know any of the neighbours, but I have met 2 2 people that live in different units in the building on one side of us.

Preferably, I wouldn't mind living on my own somewhere, but that'd probably mean having to live out of the way a little somewhere, which means a decent reliable car. I'd also need reliable work, which I have for the time being, although i'm considering looking for another job at some point this year.

I have a roommate (that I had no say in the selection process)

An apartment in a low income housing complex

No way on Earth would I rely on him for anything. He creeps me out.

I had 2 laundry baskets stolen. I trust no one here.

Our "relationship" is me cleaning the apartment and him sitting in a recliner watching me.

I was on good terms with a few of my neighbors but they all moved out.

Ideally I'd be living alone 

-I'd like to live somewhere with good public transportation seeing as how I can't drive. Also somewhere that I can do my shopping somewhere that Wal-Mart

I live alone, in a house, with my dog.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm on good terms with my neighbors, but I don't rely on them for anything.

I have a partner but we don't live together, which is ideal for me.  I  live alone in an apartment with my beautiful but asshole-ish cat.  

I live alone in an apartment I own (aka a condo).

I have a lot of neighbours but I only know a few dogs by name, no human. There's friendly chit-chat, but when I'm not in a social mode it takes a lot of effort for me to get my voice going, so I'm rarely one to initiate anything.

I don't feel comfortable relying on other people for anything, which might have to change when I get a dog of my own in case I'll be away from home for too long and someone will need to feed the dog or take them out to pee. 

My ideal living situation would be as it is now, but have a bit more social engagement with my neighbours. This is mostly my own shortcoming in not reaching out that much, but also because people are annoying and/or have nothing in common with me to bond over. Otherwise I love my home and my neighbourhood. 

Galactic Turtle

To answer my own question: I live at home with my parents. They're my parents so I trust them quite a bit (a perk of living at home is that groceries appear without me having to buy them). I'm not familiar with others in the neighborhood but my parents are. We have an annual block party that's kinda fun. My ideal living situation is pretty similar to a dorm: I'd like a single unit but having a common area that serves meals and such would be great. If not friends, I could at least chat with acquaintances and maybe stumble upon a group movie viewing. It would also be nice having resources nearby in case of a medical emergency.

I live with my two kids in a house I own.

I've only lived here for a little over a year, but the people I know on my street are nice. A good family friend lives a couple houses down. I don't really "rely" on her for anything, but I know if my kids were here alone and needed something that they could go to her for help. My next door neighbors are really friendly and nice. The husband has shoveled my sidewalk when it snowed, and he gave me a bottle of de-icer for my car after he saw me scraping the windows in the morning.

I would like a house that was a little bigger, just because this house isn't quite big enough for the zillion toys my kids have. 🙄 But otherwise, I'm happy my living situation and community.

I live alone in an apartment. I have my two cats and a hamster, but I think I'm done living with other humans. I wouldn't even want to live with a relative, not even my sister(I love her, but I wouldn't want to live with her). Getting a roommate is definitely out of the question for me. Even if money was really tight for me, I'd live off canned food and sell a bunch of my possessions including my car before I got a roommate.

I feel awkward asking people for help and I honestly kind of have trust issues with people in general, so I'm not really comfortable relying on people for stuff. 

I'm civil with my neighbors, saying "Hello"/"Good Morning" or the occasional small talk, but that's about it.

I'm currently living in my ideal living situation/community. I live alone in a smallish town, which is just the way I like it. I wouldn't want to live in a city with a bunch of people and traffic, but I don't think I'd want to live in the middle of nowhere either. Back when I was in my early 20's and was way more misanthropic I used to want to live deep in the woods, work from home, and always buy groceries at midnight at some 24 hour store and use the self-checkout so I'd never have to talk to anyone, but then my paranoia kicked in and I realized that might not be safe since nobody would know if a serial killer broke into my house or something like that. I want to have at least a few people around for safety reasons. Plus if I lived too far away from civilization it would probably be a pain to drive all the way to the store or anywhere else I needed to go.

I live alone with two furbabies in a shared equity house. 

In our neighbourhood we'll all take in parcels, replace fence panels etc, but that's about it 

I'm on an "occasional small talk" with my neighbours 

Basically my situation is close to ideal, although I'd move somewhere more convenient for meetups 

Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

Live with husband, brother and adult son. Brother and son cannot live alone. Brother is on the autistic spectrum and son is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom on disability.

A very old House that my brother and I inherited from our dad.

Yes.

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighborhood for anything?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.  Lived here a long time. Grew up here.

Living in a BRAND NEW HOUSE.  

Someplace with a smaller yard but still room for a garden. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I live alone, in a house, with my dog.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm on good terms with my neighbors, but I don't rely on them for anything.

..this, without the dog. I'd love a dog though! But still working too many hours in the day.

11 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

- Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

Not sure what you mean by "older", but I'm pretty sure that I'm old enough! :P

Live with people? Ew... 🤢 

Seriously, tho. It's just me and my dog, and I like it that way! 💜

I rent an apartment. 🙂

I'm fiercely independent, whether I live with anyone or not. 

My neighbours for the most part seem okay, though I wouldn't say that I rely on them too much. There's an older woman living beside me who's trustworthy, so when I'm out of town, she keeps an eye on my apartment for me. That's about it, tho. I get along with my neighbours well enough, but I usually keep to myself for the most part. 

My ideal living situation is having my own house and some property. I've wanted my own house since I was a little kid; unfortunately, I do not have the financial means for that right now... 😢 My apartment is really great, tho, so I'm fine living here for the time being. 😊

My ideal community is less people but more animals and green space, though I definitely want to live somewhere bigger. It feels like I'm living in the middle of *bleeping* nowhere over here... 😑

14 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Do you live alone or with other people? If you live with other people, who are they?

I wish I lived with just my wife, but there are 7 people in my house: me, my wife, my sister, her wife, 2 of my sister's kids, and my mom.

Do you live in a house? An apartment? A boarding house or dorm of some sort?

A 5-bedroom farm house.

Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone you live with for anything?

It's an unfortunate requirement. I can't drive, and my wife can't drive in the snow, but we live in Wisconsin with lots of snow for half the year...

Do you have a relationship with the people you live with?

Family.

Do you have a relationship with your neighbors?

My sister and her wife have a pretty good relationship with most of the neighbors because they work at the one restaurant in town (my sister-in-law's family owns it). My wife and I don't get out much, though, and the closest neighbor is a half mile away.

What is your ideal living situation?

Living with just me and my wife in a small, comfortable house with enough space for our needs. 

What is your ideal living community?

I would also like to live in an area like we are now, without close neighbors, in a small town, but with better internet access. I'm lucky to get 300k/s download speeds, and I go to school online...

I live alone in an apartment (with two pet rats and in the near-ish future I also plan to get a dog). I would like to meet someone to settle down with and probably start a family, but I am not in a huge rush for that. I have no relationship with my neighbours, in Sweden neighbours are not social to each other. I am sure they would help me if I asked but I am not friends with them. 

I quite like living alone but I could also happily live with another person (or people) that I loved. But I am done with living with random strangers, acquintances etc. There needs to be a strong bond there, whether romantic or platonic or familial for me to want to live with someone else. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, Galactic Turtle said:

Hello humans. ^_^

1. I've lived with just my cat for 20 years

2. Currently i live in 2 bed flat

3. Not sure my cat would be too reliable, although she never lets me sleep in.

4. I don't know my neighbours

5. I think i belong to my cat?

6. No see q.4

7. living with a bff or qpr,and cats

8. People that live and let live

@AndrewT I take it you like cats? :lol:

I've always had cats for as long as I remember. My time in the military was the only time I haven't had my own cat, or been in a house with other cats. There are 3 cats in our house now, none of which are mine, and my dog has become the main comfort animal for me in the last several years. First dog I've ever had, and she's been with me for 7 years now.

8 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@AndrewT I take it you like cats? :lol:

I've always had cats for as long as I remember. My time in the military was the only time I haven't had my own cat, or been in a house with other cats. There are 3 cats in our house now, none of which are mine, and my dog has become the main comfort animal for me in the last several years. First dog I've ever had, and she's been with me for 7 years now.

Always had cats since i was young, my little girl been with me for my whole adult life.

If i had a partner and they didn't like cats it would probably be a deal breaker ;)

I live in a house with a parent and dog. Its in a large town with work only 15min drive away. I have sole use of two of the three bedrooms so only really share the kitchen/bathroom. I have a relationship with my parent even if sometimes it is strained but not any of the neighbours.

I don't rely on anyone for anything to live, neighbours/parent/siblings or otherwise. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting help, I am generally an independent introvert. 

My ideal living situation would be living alone in a studio/single bed flat (apartment), outside of the city/near my best friend, with a cat. In a block of 10-20 other flats where people respect other tenants privacy. I am hoping to make this a reality in 2020/21. I would love to find a significant other but if that never happens I will be ok as long as I don't lose my only two close friends.

39 minutes ago, Mustashi said:

My ideal living situation would be living alone in a studio/single bed flat (apartment), outside of the city/near my best friend, with a cat. In a block of 10-20 other flats where people respect other tenants privacy. I am hoping to make this a reality in 2020/21. I would love to find a significant other but if that never happens I will be ok as long as I don't lose my only two close friends.

If i never find a significant other, living nearer my Best friend would be top of my list

On 1/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, Gloomy said:

Getting a roommate is definitely out of the question for me. Even if money was really tight for me, I'd live off canned food and sell a bunch of my possessions including my car before I got a roommate.

I feel awkward asking people for help and I honestly kind of have trust issues with people in general, so I'm not really comfortable relying on people for stuff.

Same here.

Due to my financial straits it's possible that I might be forced to look for a flatmate, in order to share the rent. The horror! I always hated the idea of living with a stranger or acquaintance.

Living alone is heaven. On the other hand, there's a part of me that would like to live with someone I feel close to:

On 1/27/2019 at 9:01 PM, LauraGarnham said:

There needs to be a strong bond there, whether romantic or platonic or familial for me to want to live with someone else. 

But I usually don't admit that to myself.

I’m more “effectively ace” than “ace” but I’m older - mid-50’s - so I’ll answer anyway.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, Galactic Turtle said:

Having been recently dumped, I now live alone for the first time in 22 years.  Prior to that I lived with my boyfriend-fiance-husband.

Way back in my 20’s and early 30’s, I alternated between living alone and living (officially or just practically speaking) with various significant others

Do you live in a house? An apartment? A boarding house or dorm of some sort?

I live in a 90-year-old, medium-sized, single-family house.  It is my second house.  When I first learned I might be getting dumped (about a year ago) I looked at other options - an older house is a lot of work and I’d/we’d been having ongoing trouble finding skilled, reliable craftspeople to do some of the stuff that’s beyond my capabilities - but I have three cats and in this area no one will rent to someone with more than two pets.

Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone you live with for anything?

N/A, although I do wish I still

lived with someone I could rely on (and someone who relied on me).

Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighborhood for anything?

I’m a pretty independent introvert and it’s difficult for me to ask for or accept help.  That said, I have lived in this house for 

more than 18 years and do have some neighbors I know would help me if I asked/accepted.  Unfortunately the one I was hoping to share some duties with moved out of the neighborhood last fall.

Do you have a relationship with the people you live with?

N/A.

Do you have a relationship with your neighbors?

I’m on friendly speaking terms with some, on wave/nod terms with some, creeped out by a couple, and don’t know others.  My immediate neighbors moved in right at the start of bad weather so I’ve only met them once or twice.

What is your ideal living situation?

Hm.  I’d like less maintenance, but I don’t want to give up location, safety, or my pets.  I guess the best option would be to live near a friend (or befriend a trustworthy neighbor again) and help one another out as needed.  While I wouldn’t mind a QPR, my house is not really divisible into separate living spaces so it would be tough to share with someone who wasn’t a romantic partner/close and shameless cuddle buddy.

What is your ideal living community?

I like where I live (small, old suburb of a medium-sized northeastern US city), especially since most things I need regularly are in easy walking distance, but I wish we had better public transportation available.  A lot of what I like to do (well, and my job) is in the city itself and it would be nice to have the option not to drive there.

I think the hardest part of not having a family will be when/if I end up in a situation where decisions have to be made/long term living assistance.  I am currently providing care for my father.  Without that care he would have to be in a nursing home.  It is hard watching everyday life routines slip away from him.  I have made plans to try to cover for when I am in that situation but planning and reality sometimes pass each other in the night.

@Nick2 I understand how that can be difficult. My wife recently suffered a major concussion and has had real difficulty with words, when she is an aspiring author...

I think things will be interesting once millenials start hitting their 50's and 60's because I bet certain nursing homes will look better depending on what technology is available to the people sent there. I could see a bunch of old folks getting together to play Halo XXI and talk trash instead of playing board games and card games. :lol:

Sure rants alot

I live alone in an apartment and have lived alone since my daughter got married over twenty years ago.  I did some major downsizing from a house to the apartment. I quite like living alone. No, I'm not a cat lady nor am I accumulating body parts in my refrigerator. I am however that snoopy old lady who looks out the window whenever I hear a car door slam or other unusual noises but that's only because I want my neighborhood to stay safe. The neighborhood I live in is very convenient: bank, grocery, Wal Mart, post office, tons of fast food places all within a few blocks of where I live and my neighbors are rather pleasant. I've been fortunate in that I've never really had to rely on anyone for anything. I live across the street from a big park so I get to watch migratory birds, lots of leaves changing colors in the fall. I hope to be able to live here for a long time.

Lived alone since I was 19, so 25 years now, have lived with a couple of partners but always kept my own place going.

Live in a 1 bedroom flat / apartment

I'm 50/50 on that, half of me wants to find someone to settle down with, but other half is scared to give full control.

- Would you feel comfortable relying on anyone in your immediate neighbourhood for anything?

No, not friends or family, they just not reliable enough.

Live alone so nope.

- Do you have a relationship with your neighbours?

We say hi when we see each other, always polite to one another, but we don't invite each other around etc.

To meet someone who is well off financially and share a home with them, maybe with 2 bedrooms so there is space to do our own things.

Somewhere remote so we had our privacy and be left alone, but would need to have good internet and easy access for online grocery shopping being delivered :)

Archived