Editing marks on posts and PMs

Heart

10 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

That would now an extra-added hassle for members, having to waste time explaining why they edited their posts. Sometimes, members have chosen to delete their posts later on, due to feeling uncomfortable later on about the personal content they'd written (about their personal lives); so, now, they'd have to reveal their personal reason, in front of everyone.

Extra added hassle....????

edited due to misspelling 

5 seconds!

9 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

That would now an extra-added hassle for members, having to waste time explaining why they edited their posts. Sometimes, members have chosen to delete their posts later on, due to feeling uncomfortable later on about the personal content they'd written (about their personal lives); so, now, they'd have to reveal their personal reason, in front of everyone.

You don't really have to put anything, though?  The majority of the time, people won't care.  And if you completely blank a post, it's usually obvious why.  Either it has sensitive info that you changed your mind about posting, or it was a duplicate post.

4 minutes ago, James121 said:

So what’s your solution then? Have it so that no one can see they edited at all?

As I said above, I think all edits (presence and before/after content) should be visible or accessible to the admods.

Beyond that, in public view, I think it should be discretion of the poster.  In public view the point of marking a post edited (in the software or via typing “eta”) is for the post author to alert readers that he/she/they made a substantive content change.

1 minute ago, Philip027 said:

You don't really have to put anything, though?  The majority of the time, people won't care.  And if you completely blank a post, it's usually obvious why.  Either it has sensitive info that you changed your mind about posting, or it was a duplicate post.

Yes, of course it doesn't have to be added. But, with the conversation in this thread, it was sounding to me as though some members were planning to now add a reason for their edits underneath to all of their posts (like "typos"), due to worrying about protecting themselves from others possibly using their edits as an excuse to report them and/or assume that they'd broken the TOS.

So, if everyone starts to do that, then it'd probably cause others to wonder about the members who choose not to add edit or deletion explanations in their posts, wondering whether they'd written something that'd broken the TOS because, apparently, it seems as though some are very concerned why other members edit their posts, whether they're hiding something.

8 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

As I said above, I think all edits (presence and before/after content) should be visible or accessible to the admods.

Beyond that, in public view, I think it should be discretion of the poster.  In public view the point of marking a post edited (in the software or via typing “eta”) is for the post author to alert readers that he/she/they made a substantive content change.

Yes this ^^^

That's the way it's always been here and it's never caused problems.

Only issue is the fact that the mods apparently can't see edit history at THEIR end, and that's deeply concerning. 

23 minutes ago, Frankentan said:

auto-correct 🤬 - sorry, but I did have to laugh at what it turned the name into :lol: 

I was so worried I'd get reported or something!! I guess it's kind of funny now (hah) but at the time I was having an awful panic attack!! I think my phone hates me :c (edit for clarification: but that's just one of the many reasons why it's better not to have the 'edited' option show automatically. Sometimes it's super embarrassing stuff that you just want to forget!!)

Can everyone please stay on topic. Skycaptain moderator PPS 

Also I'd just like to point out @Heart that while this issue seems to have started at least in part from a certain PM situation, I've made multiple edits to a PM tonight but none of my edits are showing in grey at all :o 

Is it possible (without breaching) for admods to explain why this has suddenly become an issue? I've been a member for over 14 years, modding on and off all that time. Admods have never been able to see original posts; it was mentioned a handful of times over the years but accepted as one of those things.

Can they now see the original version alongside the edited one? If not, what is the point? Everyone knows the post has been edited but how is that any better than not knowing at all? Screenshots are not acceptable, so there's no point in sending them to support the report being made. So I'm confused - HOW is this an improvement?

Best I can say without breaching is that something caused us to reconsider the original system. They way its operating at the moment is not ideal either 

The Terrible Travis
3 hours ago, Tercy said:

Gillette ad attacking men: Opinions range from "love it" to "nah no big deal I'm tired of everyone getting worked up about it."

Admod adds a little "edited by" tag to posts: Outrage and rioting in the streets.

Only on AVEN. :P

Aside from the fact that no such ad exists, I don't really see anyone on this thread getting upset. Slightly irritated at worst. 

4 minutes ago, The Terrible Travis said:

Aside from the fact that no such ad exists, I don't really see anyone on this thread getting upset. Slightly irritated at worst. 

Not sure why anyone is getting irritated though. It’s a storm in a tea cup. 👍

@James121You're awfully aggressive for someone who doesn't care that much. =] Sally iterated her point just fine, I'm not gonna repeat it.

30 minutes ago, The Terrible Travis said:

...I don't really see anyone on this thread getting upset. Slightly irritated at worst. 

25 minutes ago, James121 said:

Not sure why anyone is getting irritated though. It’s a storm in a tea cup. 👍

I guess this shows how easy it is for posts to be misinterpreted, because, to me, others voicing concerns about a new feature that they were asked to give their opinion on by an amod aren't "getting upset," but just voicing their concerns.

It was pointed out that the feature was added without letting members know, which, from what I've seen in "Site Comments" isn't the usual procedure. Normally, mods seem to ask members their opinion about new site changes they plan on implementing, first. So, naturally, of course some members are going to be suddenly surprised by a feature that was changed and added to their posts that they didn't expect to see, without any warning or explanation, beforehand.

It's also possible that some posts might just be made in good humour with a little bit of exaggeration for comic effect. *taps nose*

8 hours ago, Tercy said:

...I tried to edit a post a few days ago, 2 minutes after I made it - and the forum said I wasn't allowed - and due to the content of the post, I assumed someone had reported it...

Occasionally, that happens to me, too, shortly after I've just written a post. Have you tried refreshing the page or logging in, again? Whenever I do that and try to edit and save my post, again, it eventually works.

2 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Occasionally, that happens to me, too, shortly after I've just written a post. Have you tried refreshing the page or logging in, again? Whenever I do that and try to edit and save my post, again, it eventually works.

Getting off the page (e.g., back to topic list) and back on always fixes that for me.

6 hours ago, Chimeric said:

@James121You're awfully aggressive for someone who doesn't care that much. =] Sally iterated her point just fine, I'm not gonna repeat it.

Please let me know which post is....”aggressive” so that I can look to address the way I write things.

I really appreciate the sheer amount of discussion this has generated. I do not have time to read it all deeply right now, but I will do my best over the weekend. I am posting now because I don't want people to think I am ignoring everyone, I just don't have the time today and didn't anticipate how much sheer content this would generate.

Thank you to everyone who is participating.

11 hours ago, Frankentan said:

Is it possible (without breaching) for admods to explain why this has suddenly become an issue? I've been a member for over 14 years, modding on and off all that time. Admods have never been able to see original posts; it was mentioned a handful of times over the years but accepted as one of those things.

Can they now see the original version alongside the edited one? If not, what is the point? Everyone knows the post has been edited but how is that any better than not knowing at all? Screenshots are not acceptable, so there's no point in sending them to support the report being made. So I'm confused - HOW is this an improvement?

Yes that's what I'm wondering too. Because it literally doesn't help or change a situation in any way if they can't actually see which edits were made. That's the key point here: they need to be able to see the edits that were made.

Without that, it not only doesn't fix anything but can easily cause unnecessary suspicion. 

I recently participated in a discussion that evolved, as most threads do, before the editing notification kicked in.  When responding to one of the posts in that thread, I wanted to clarify my response as it was related to the OP, which contained questions.  I went back to review the OP and those questions I wanted to respond to had been removed, after a half page of discussion.  It was frustrating.   I called out the author of the OP over it.

Showing that a post has been edited, in my opinion, does not diminish the quality of that post or cause confusion.  It does provide a level of accountability to the author, whether it is a response or the OP.

I also liked the option of showing that a post has been edited, or not.  Many edits are simple fixes to typos or adding another photo or an additional thought or clarification.

I think that showing a post has been edited has more pros than cons.  

15 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Also I'd just like to point out @Heart that while this issue seems to have started at least in part from a certain PM situation, I've made multiple edits to a PM tonight but none of my edits are showing in grey at all :o 

Why put in that "certain PM situation" comment?  If we should know about it, tell  us;  if not, don't mention it.  Geez, Ficto (on hiatus).  

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I think it's a good idea just as if one tried editing the message in hopes of not getting in trouble, I hope there's a way to change the system to where if a member deleted a message when they know they were in the wrong, there can still be a way to have them dealt with. 

There are means by which admods can preserve the content of forum posts, but PM's are problematic 

As I understand it, only admods can amend posts, or part posts which would get round the 'we wont accept screenshots because they can be edited' (though a computer illiterate bod like myself hasn't a clue how to do it)

So why not a straightforward quote the offending post. I can't remember if, when the original post is edited the quote is too.

Members cannot amend a post made by another member, unless as @Frankentan says, they're a member of the staff. In the rare cases that we edit posts we will inform the member why via a PM 

5 hours ago, Sally said:

Why put in that "certain PM situation" comment?  If we should know about it, tell  us;  if not, don't mention it.  Geez, Ficto (on hiatus).  

Oh calm down Sally. The title of this thread very, very clearly states the edits are meant to show on forums AND in PM, yet the edits aren't showing in PM. And yeah it did start from a PM situation but the fact is it doesn't help the same situation in future (which it's meant to in theory, but it won't) if the edits aren't showing in PM which is what I was referring to.

My comment was at HEART (the OP), not you. If it was for you I would have mentioned your name, okay? 

Archived