No sex in sexual relationship

Human0id

It seems to me that the topic is very good for this forum ...
I had a conversation with a friend today, he has has a girlfriend for a few days and confided to me that they voluntarily gave up sex in their relationship (even though both sides are not asexual)
for what purpose?
Well, they want to maintain a kind of pure relationship (they do not plan to have children), and to enjoy their person, not their body.
my first reaction: wtf.
Has anyone met something like this before? I personally did not know what to answer in such a situation.
Does this attitude make any sense?

The only thing I could think of to explain it is that maybe there's religion involved? 

Yes, I've heard of things like this. Have you never heard of people taking it slow? Did you know... this shit's gonna blow yer mind... did you know there are entire cultures that wait until after marriage to have sex? 

Not having sex within days of dating shouldn't be taken by you as evidence that you can live forever happily with a sexual and not have sex. 

Galactic Turtle

Abstinence is a thing.

Waiting until you know someone better is also a thing.

My friend didn't have sex with her boyfriend until... 8 or so months in? Maybe a year? And even then they spent weeks watching sex ed youtube videos to get a better idea of what they wanted from each other. 

My ex believed in abstinence before marriage.   I suspect she believed sex would be this great thing everyone was talking about, but, when it wasn't started making excuses.  

Some abstain as a demonstration of self control.   Some have other reasons.

2 hours ago, Human0id said:

that they voluntarily gave up sex in their relationship 

So, I read this as they’d started off the relationship sexually and decide to abruptly end it.  Is that how it went, or did they begin the relationship with a decision to abstain?  The difference is actually important imo.  

If they started out that way, fine.  If they abruptly stopped, it would certainly be more curious.

A few days?   And you're wondering why  they're doing this?  Ask next week, when they've been together at least a week.  :P

6 hours ago, Human0id said:

he has has a girlfriend for a few days and confided to me that they voluntarily gave up sex in their relationship

So they had sex in the first couple of days and then gave up for the next two? 

On 1/25/2019 at 1:46 AM, James121 said:

So they had sex in the first couple of days and then gave up for the next two? 

exactly. and it's even more weird. Well, in any case it's not my problem, it's not my business and it's not my relationship. I was just wondering what thoughts he might have, because I personally could not imagine it. I give them a maximum of a 2 months

I think it could be to take the stress away and find out if they actually like each other. I guess, it can shift the focus away and by going for a non-sex period can be an easier way to just be together and perhaps also less “hard” if it doesnt work out. 

Archived