outolintu

Coming out to therapist

outolintu

I finally got the black ring and have been wearing it day and night, becoming more comfortable with it. But then it dawned on me, what will I tell my therapist if she notices? She's very perceptive and me never wearing rings or jewelry of any kind she will know something's up. I haven't come out to family either and likely never will, so I'm at a loss how to handle such a situation.

Has AVEN broached the subject or even come out to their therapist? How did it go? Honestly I'm terrified and thinking of leaving the ring home on Monday.

• Like 2

CajunAce

There's probably talk about therapists and doctors somewhere on AVEN.

I've come out to my therapist and he doesn't mind. It seems that therapists nowadays are taught to accept the LGBT+ community. My doctor doesn't care either.

And congrats on getting an ace ring! I'm going to get one someday. 

• Like 1

Just Dani

I haven't seen anything here yet, but there probably is somewhere.

I remember coming out to my counsellor. Actually, I was seeing two counsellors at the same time, so I had the fun of coming out two at once. They were working in tandem with me, so telling one but not the other felt weird to me. 

It went well, though, despite my anxiety. My counsellors were pretty chill. I hope that things go well with your counsellor. If you do decide to come out to them, you might need to explain what asexuality is (I've had to do that multiple times), so it might be a good idea to have something planned ahead of time in case they have questions. Helps cut down on that anxiety, believe me. 🙂

BrokenWings

i went to  therapist  once, he asked me what do i look for in a girl, and i said a penis lol

• Like 1

Spotastic

We were talking about this just recently in the 30's thread. People have mixed reactions from therapists. It really depends on how much education that person has on asexuality and other sexual and gender identities. I have had great luck talking about it to my therapists, with one already knowing what I meant when I said I am gray asexual, and then asked me how specifically I identify like that. I am always open about who I am, and generally think others should be, too. Like RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business." I know that line is a bit more murky with a therapist, though.

• Like 1

Skycaptain

Maybe I'm from a different country, but it was a counselling (therapy) service on the NHS who suggested asexuality and AVEN to me. 

If they are not au fait with asexuality they should at the very least do some basic research for subsequent sessions 

• Like 2

TrippleL

Spoke to a counsellor this week who was very well informed on asexuality and gender. It felt good to be 100% open with someone 🙂

• Like 5

helana12_03
On 1/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, TrippleL said:

Spoke to a counsellor this week who was very well informed on asexuality and gender. It felt good to be 100% open with someone 🙂

That's awesome. The last time I tried to tell my (ex) therapist that I'm aromantic and asexual, it blew up in my face. She was so horrible about it that I never told a soul after that. Not even my closest friends.

• Like 1

TrippleL
10 hours ago, helana12_03 said:

That's awesome. The last time I tried to tell my (ex) therapist that I'm aromantic and asexual, it blew up in my face. She was so horrible about it that I never told a soul after that. Not even my closest friends.

Sorry to hear that. I’ve seen a few therapists over the years and some are more clued up than others. I’ve had some trying to “fix” me 🙄

If it helps I’m pretty open about my asexuality, and almost everyone is really accepting (barring a few stupid questions) 😊

• Like 1

helana12_03
6 hours ago, TrippleL said:

Sorry to hear that. I’ve seen a few therapists over the years and some are more clued up than others. I’ve had some trying to “fix” me 🙄

If it helps I’m pretty open about my asexuality, and almost everyone is really accepting (barring a few stupid questions) 😊

I'm really happy for you. It's great to be able to share this with people when they're open to it. I have a friend who is super open minded and accepting. He really seems to get it and I really like that I get to share this with him. But most of the other people I tried to open up to about this in the past completely really failed to get it.

• Like 2