Do cis people care if they get referred to as they/them?

theatrenerd

So I'm a cis girl, and I wouldn't mind being called by gender neutral pronouns. If someone called me by he/him pronouns, I would probably just politely correct them, but not be offended. However, I've really only been called by she/her pronouns since I present fairly femininely. 

It's also important to know that not all cis people like being called by gender neutral pronouns for whatever reason, so if you know their gender you should probably just refer to them by their pronouns unless they've told you otherwise.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:38 PM, sithgirlix said:

That's an interesting discussion towards the generic "he" in English. How the default pronoun or word will be male. There are some people who take this concept too far (see Futurama Eco-feministas) but it is generally true that the default for many titles as well as generic calls for the attention of a group of mixed genders. It even happens with the push to be more inclusive to non-binary individuals because saying "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen" can be exclusionary, but "guys" is easier to say that "everyone". 

This is really interesting, and something I've thought about. I'm currently trying to refer to a group of people as "y'all," when I previously would have referred to them as "you guys," because y'all doesn't have any gender connotation. But if someone refers to me as part of "you guys," I won't take offense at it or even say anything just because it's not a big deal. 

Kelthepurplequeen

Yeah, it pisses me off. I’m 100% female.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, Kelthepurplequeen said:

Yeah, it pisses me off. I’m 100% female.

... since you've said something regarding my gender identity that got deleted real quick, I think it's safe to conclude you're not particularly supportive of enbies.

So, if that's the type of person that gets offended... sounds good to me. 👍

An intersting thread, I think.

I try to present counterculturally in attitude, confidence, knowledge, speech, tone of voice, posture, and dress -  and then I insist on being recognised as female - a sort of 'gender-menace Alpha Female' who won't be 'pink and pretty' nor 'second-class', and who makes people with stereotypiical expectations of womanhood uncomfortable - whatever their own gender.

Hence I object to being caled 'a guy', and I ask, "so why don't you call the whole group 'Gals' or 'Dolls' ocasionally, if you're 'just being inclusive''? "  And "would you like me to do that for you?" - 'cos I'm not any sort of 'token man' and, in our English language, gendered words do refer usually to sex, and mine isn't male  ...  well, not last time I looked it wasn't  🙂

Here's a few URLs to clips on YouTube (you might need a UK IP address - use a VPN?) about microaggressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b4MZjMVgdk - non-Binary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwfGU2EL48&index=9&list=PL64ScZt2I7wGxZlXAu0r0UPqpvzF23mgc - hirsutism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dt5SEiWHM&index=39&list=PLDGomNGWIdDjxu6JzfJvh08C_hOK1WfEX – lesbianism

P.S. the ‘lesbian’ clip applies just as much to gyneromantic asexual women and to their relationships with (formerly) heterosexual women, for instance.

It seems to me you can easily, ad should address s/o as they present, and it is possibe to say "you" and "they" if you sdon't know a person well enough to know their pronouns, ans ask their pronouns politely and discreetly i you really need to (but why?).

And  here's a generic explanation about microaggression (and a rebuttal of those who belittle anyone nt liking being often on the receiving end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDd3bzA7450

Respect arises from 'awareness+ care', I believee.  I've tried to help with 'awareness' - readers will have to suplly the 'care' bit themseves 🙂 🙂

Paula

EDITED 'COS I STILL TYPE LOTS OF TYPOs - eek!

18 hours ago, anisotropic said:

... since you've said something regarding my gender identity that got deleted real quick, I think it's safe to conclude you're not particularly supportive of enbies.

So, if that's the type of person that gets offended... sounds good to me. 👍

Right on. 👌

Those types of people can get as offended as they want.  Ignorant opinions don't change facts.

Archived