CentaurianPrincess

We NEED a block button

Homer
13 minutes ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

The current feature is what censors others.

In what way?

• Like 3

Yangster
17 minutes ago, Homer said:

In what way?

It blocks what they say.  I just think it's weird that you're okay with that but not with censoring yourself.  I mean, it seems like you have it backwards.  Generally speaking, free speech is understood to include the option to censor yourself, as long as you do not censor others.

iff
25 minutes ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

It blocks what they say.  I just think it's weird that you're okay with that but not with censoring yourself.  I mean, it seems like you have it backwards.  Generally speaking, free speech is understood to include the option to censor yourself, as long as you do not censor others.

I don't think the ignore option is censorship.

It is making a choice to not read something but the person can still say whatever they want. 

It's like turning the TV channel over, not reading books, muting twitter accounts so they don't appear on your feed, not reading particular newspapers is not censorship, it's personal choice as there is so much choice, opinions, programmes, books out there, you may need to limit the stimuli you take in 

They can still post or say what they want. 

• Like 10

Yangster
1 minute ago, iff said:

I don't think the ignore option is censorship.

It is making a choice to not read something but the person can still say whatever they want. 

It's like turning the TV channel over, not reading books, muting twitter accounts so they don't appear on your feed, not reading particular newspapers is not censorship, it's personal choice as there is so much choice, opinions, programmes, books out there, you may need to limit the stimuli you take in 

They can still post or say what they want. 

I don't think it's particularly censorious either.  It's just closer to actual censorship than blocking your own content.

Homer
46 minutes ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

Generally speaking, free speech is understood to include the option to censor yourself, as long as you do not censor others.

Correct. Which makes preferring "block as proposed by OP" over "ignoring, as it is now" particularly weird.

• Like 1

Yangster
3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Correct. Which makes preferring "block as proposed by OP" over "ignoring, as it is now" particularly weird.

How, exactly?  You're blocking your own stuff.  I mean, I could PM you something, and not everyone will be able to read that.  Is the PM system a form of censorship?

Homer

One last attempt.

Blocking as proposed = denying other people access to content. Affecting other people. Not cool.

Ignoring as it is now = exercising my right not to read everything ever. Fine.

• Like 10

iff

Let's say a member visits not logged in visits as a guest and sees a really hot subject in Questions about Asexuality. Then they want to log in but all of a sudden the Questions About Asexuality topic is not there.

How do you think that would make the member feel that they are being blocked and unable to see a hot topic and react to this?

Would this lead to tension in the forums?

Remember there are forums that are visible to people not logged in.

With ignore, people are unaware they are being on ignore so this means that it's use doesn't lead to tension.

MichaelTannock
1 hour ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

From what I understand, the Ignore feature does not block someone's ability to post, whereas a Block feature would.

• Like 3

Yangster
2 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

From what I understand, the Ignore feature does not block someone's ability to post, whereas a Block feature would.

This, I think, explains it better.

Sally
5 hours ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

But aren't you just censoring yourself in that case?  The current feature is what censors others.

The current feature simply keeps you -- a single  individual making that choice -- from seeing what another single individual(s) posted.  It doesn't mean that no one else can see what that person posted, which would mean you were being a censor.

Britannica:    Censorship, the changing or the suppression or prohibition of speech or writing that is deemed subversive of the common good. 

• Like 2

CentaurianPrincess
9 hours ago, MichaelTannock said:

True. They can still stalk your topics and derail them even if you have them on ignore.

Phoenix the II
56 minutes ago, CentaurianPrincess said:

True. They can still stalk your topics and derail them even if you have them on ignore.

There's a report button for this. 

I personally have reports being mailed to my email, which then makes my phone buzz. 

So when I'm awake and available to check it, I will.

----

In general I think it's a bad idea, because it allows for blocking out people, and then talking publicly about them. Which is really an awful practice. And deprives people of reporting these posts.

• Like 2

Cheshire-Cat

To be honest a block wouldn't really stop a particular user reading your posts anyway unless all your posts were on the sections hidden from the public. All the other user would have to do is log off, read the post, log back on, and then they could respond with whatever they wanted.

RoseGoesToYale

I could see such a feature being abused, especially in more heated threads. If you can't see all the posts in a thread because other users have blocked you from seeing them, how can you participate in the thread without missing half the conversation? That sounds like mass mayhem. Also, if you're dealing with a real stalker here, there's nothing to stop them from logging out, seeing your posts anyway, and then going back in and commenting. I think reporting the behavior is your best option.

• Like 2

Yangster

The arguments in this thread changed my mind on the matter.

The Dryad

Hmm.... is it censorship? Or prevention of harassment?

I think, unless it's a stalker, it's not that big of a deal, and just notify a Mod so they can take care of them. But I see that point with both perspectives, but because of the format of this forum, versus Facebook, it wouldn't make sense, practically.

Edited by The Dryad

divided_sky

I sometimes post under the assumption that everyone else here has blocked me and my thoughts are just falling into the void

• Like 3

Homer
1 hour ago, The Dryad said:

Or prevention of harassment?

It's not prevention of harassment, it is harassment.

• Like 1

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well, I'm being put off from posting on certain threads because anything I say is being belittled with subtext of 'you're not intelligent enough to post here' and latterly, an under the belt comment about my sanity.

It's always said with just enough ambiguity to not be proven and make it look like I'm the tetchy one.

So these sites are great for players,but not for those without an agenda.

Woodworker1968
On 1/20/2019 at 6:06 PM, CentaurianPrincess said:

Indeed, I can name four such individuals. I do have three of them on ignore, but they're nothing if not persistent. I doubt reporting them would accomplish anything, because they know just how far they can push their luck.

My 2¢.

• Like 1

Sally

I have several members on Ignore, but not because I think they're stalking me (I really doubt there are many stalkers on AVEN).  I have them on Ignore because their illogical posts just drive me bats.  

• Like 3

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 1/21/2019 at 2:06 AM, CentaurianPrincess said:

Sigh...yes...

Sithgroundhog

So, I'm thinking of this in a bigger context. (Warning: These are not references for the current election but the past one because I know very little about the current political climate back home, atm.)

The current ignore feature is chosing to make others' posts invisible to you, so you choose to not see what you view as potentially inflamatory. This is removing yourself from the full conversation somewhat by your own choice.  Like being a Bernie supporter and choosing not to go to or watch a Trump rally.

A block would be you choosing that another person shouldn't be allowed in the conversation. Like holding a Trump rally and banning all Bernie supporters. 

If I am understanding this correctly, I disagree with the latter policy.  If a person is harassing you, there should be enough evidence that a report to a mod should handle it. If a Trump supporter comes to your Hillary rally and decides to drive a truck through protestors, the cops should be called. 

It is a policy that could be easily abused. Take the Master Trump Thread. I don't think Trump supporters should be banned from that thread simply because most of the participants disagree with them. Doing so would be doing a disservice to the conversation by not allowing in dissenters. 

• Like 1

chairdesklamp
On 1/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, divided_sky said:

I sometimes post under the assumption that everyone else here has blocked me and my thoughts are just falling into the void

I know this is not the newest post, but are you okay?

I feel pretty alone/invisible/hated in the world, too.

Woodworker1968
On 1/19/2019 at 12:00 AM, Norellia said:

Has there really been a big issue with this? I haven't seen or had any problems with other members really...

I can totally understand the desire for a block button. Ignoring doesn’t work in the case of those (fortunately very few) individuals whose mission is life seems to be to keep fishing for your attention in the hope that one day you’ll finally break down and be like “aaaaagh!!! You finally succeeded in annoying me!!! Are you satisfied now???”

Maybe that isn’t really their intent, but they deserve a booby prize for their persistence.

Moderne Jazzhanden
58 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Ignoring doesn’t work in the case of those (fortunately very few) individuals whose mission is life seems to be to keep fishing for your attention in the hope that one day you’ll finally break down and be like “aaaaagh!!! You finally succeeded in annoying me!!! Are you satisfied now???”

But perhaps the ignorer is paranoid or over-sensitive? Or just investing cyberspace with too much of their sense of self? 

If not, I don't really see what can be done about it.

I'm fine with the idea that people can ignore me if they wish and never see my posts. And it's right, I think, that I have this option too, though I don't think I'd ever use it. But I don't see myself (or anyone else) as having the right to determine what a third party can or cannot see. 

• Like 1

LeChat

@Woodworker1968 I'm not sure whether this is what you meant or not, but I thought I'd just mention that members who are blocked don't know their posts are blocked. So, the downside to blocking is that, if a member who's blocked posts an apology or tries to explain a miscommunication that occurred to another member who's blocked them, those posts won't be seen.

Sithmaster WinterDragon

The only option you have is to ignore them,  the software with this site as @OptimisticPessimist said does not support blocking them from commenting on the same threads you follow.

That being said , if you ignored them and don't see their comments and they step out of line the Admods can deal with it.

If you're feeling like you're being harassed by an individual here, pm a mod, they'll help you if it continues. 

Best of luck to you.

• Like 3

Woodworker1968
15 hours ago, LeChat said:

@Woodworker1968 I'm not sure whether this is what you meant or not, but I thought I'd just mention that members who are blocked don't know their posts are blocked. So, the downside to blocking is that, if a member who's blocked posts an apology or tries to explain a miscommunication that occurred to another member who's blocked them, those posts won't be seen.

I totally get your point, but my point is that there are a few who either apparently don’t know others are ignoring them, or they know but don’t care. They don’t seem to mind shouting themselves hoarse.

I’m familiar with their ilk in other areas too though. In their book about radio direction-finding, Moelle and Curlee discuss the disruptive mentalities of radio jammers (who are essentially the on-air equivalents of online trolls and baiters) and advocate ignoring them (“let the jammer go away wondering if his transmitter is working”), but D. is one radio jammer who doesn’t mind performing to an empty theater. AVEN has a few like him.