CentaurianPrincess

We NEED a block button

CentaurianPrincess

We need a block button that bans users from seeing the blocker's threads or posts. Ignore is not enough, they can still follow you around and derail your threads.

• Like 8

sh1965

I agree as well.

Sally

Ignore doesn't do the same thing; it simply prevents you from seeing someone else's posts.  That's your choice.  It wouldn't be fair for you to  be able to  prevent some other member from seeing your posts on what is a board for all members..

• Like 8

Back to Avalon

If you don't mind, what kind of issues have you been having with other members?

Sweet Potato

YES!!!! we definitely need this

Norellia

Has there really been a big issue with this? I haven't seen or had any problems with other members really...

• Like 2

StomachGod

Seems like a good idea to me

Dreamsexual

• Like 7

Sally
22 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

If someone is following a poster around and deliberately derailing their threads then it seems like a mod is needed.  That's surely bad behaviour?

Yup -- if that's really the case, the mods can deal with it.  But often people just happen to be on the same threads because they're interested in the same issues, and they may simply disagree with each other.  

• Like 11

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
14 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yup -- if that's really the case, the mods can deal with it.  But often people just happen to be on the same threads because they're interested in the same issues, and they may simply disagree with each other.  

Yeah that's been my experience in the vast majority of cases like this. 

• Like 4

Charna
2 hours ago, Sally said:

Ignore doesn't do the same thing; it simply prevents you from seeing someone else's posts.  That's your choice.  It wouldn't be fair for you to  be able to  prevent some other member from seeing your posts on what is a board for all members..

I'm not even sure you could hold a discussion on an open board where some users can't see each others posts (by being blocked). E.g. what happens if I quote a user who is blocking someone. Will my post get blocked too?

• Like 1

CentaurianPrincess
6 hours ago, Sally said:

So you're saying its perfectly ok for someone to follow me around and derail my threads then?

• Like 2

Dreamsexual
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, CentaurianPrincess said:

So you're saying its perfectly ok for someone to follow me around and derail my threads then

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist

You can contact a mod and as @Sally mentioned we’ll deal with it. 

As far as I’m aware that wouldn’t be possible to ban a user from seeing your posts, with the software.

• Like 3

Homer

Software or not shouldn't even be the question here. This is a blatant call for censorship. What people choose to read on here is nobody else's business IMO (disciplinary action being the only acceptable exception).

I can't even begin to describe how much I disagree with the idea.

• Like 2

Chocolatastic AroAce

Censoring someone doesn't seem like it would do much...especially if they really are specifically targeting someone, as they could just pm the person. If it is really that bad then maybe the individual should just be suspended from the site completely.

It also depends on what the situation is. If it is just two members disagreeing then there is no reason for a mod to be involved at all. If one member is actively bothering another member and making them uncomfortable then the mods should be stepping in.

Una Salus Victus

I think, in a lot of cases, it's more or less an ideal that is "gone after" rather than an actual person. I've noticed in a few rare cases that when it does result in someone going after someone, it does end up in PM half the time and that's when it can get really screwy.

• Like 1

Yangster
4 hours ago, Homer said:

Software or not shouldn't even be the question here. This is a blatant call for censorship. What people choose to read on here is nobody else's business IMO (disciplinary action being the only acceptable exception).

I can't even begin to describe how much I disagree with the idea.

Isn't the current block feature censorship?

Yangster
11 hours ago, CentaurianPrincess said:

So you're saying its perfectly ok for someone to follow me around and derail my threads then?

Sally didn't say that's okay.  She said that there is a mechanism to resolve this problem as it is: the moderators.

• Like 1

Una Salus Victus
2 hours ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

Sally didn't say that's okay.  She said that there is a mechanism to resolve this problem as it is: the moderators.

there's also a mechanism called a thicker skin.

StomachGod
2 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

there's also a mechanism called a thicker skin.

If people were really adults they would probably use a mechanism called being considerate... just a thought...

• Like 4

Homer
5 hours ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

That's an ignore feature, which helps you to voluntarily exercise your own right not to read specific posts by other users. There is no duty to read other people's posts. It can also be overturned very easily. Which is VERY different from blocking someone else's access to your posts.

• Like 6

Una Salus Victus
6 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

If people were really adults they would probably use a mechanism called being considerate... just a thought...

Would this also cover the idea that not everyone is going to agree with you, and with the amount of different ideas out there, not everyone is going to understand it the same way?

• Like 3

StomachGod
5 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Would this also cover the idea that not everyone is going to agree with you, and with the amount of different ideas out there, not everyone is going to understand it the same way?

Of course! Being considerate goes both ways. I never said you were wrong after all, just that there was an alternative solution.

• Like 1

Sally
5 hours ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

You are making the decision to not read a specific other person's posts.  Censoring is someone else preventing you from reading something.  

• Like 6

Una Salus Victus
26 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

Of course! Being considerate goes both ways. I never said you were wrong after all, just that there was an alternative solution.

I didn't mean otherwise, that either of us were wrong, I just thought I'd throw in a counter point for discussion.

StomachGod
Just now, Una Salus Victus said:

I didn't mean otherwise, that either of us were wrong, I just thought I'd throw in a counter point for discussion.

Mmm, and in fact, using either method we have suggested the block button shouldn't be needed, which in itself is a good point.
I initially supported the block button idea, but I think I may be a tad more fence sitting after reading some of the counter arguments.
I still think it would be nice for people to be more civil in the first place, the block button obviously isn't an appropriate tool to have if people would use it to simply block alternative opinions...

Una Salus Victus
25 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

Mmm, and in fact, using either method we have suggested the block button shouldn't be needed, which in itself is a good point.
I initially supported the block button idea, but I think I may be a tad more fence sitting after reading some of the counter arguments.
I still think it would be nice for people to be more civil in the first place, the block button obviously isn't an appropriate tool to have if people would use it to simply block alternative opinions...

It's been my experience that the ones who either are a bit more sensitive,  or tend to want to post whatever it is they do, regardless of how much it makes sense or how weird it seems to everyone else without being questioned that tend to bring this up.

Yangster
7 hours ago, Homer said:

That's an ignore feature, which helps you to voluntarily exercise your own right not to read specific posts by other users. There is no duty to read other people's posts. It can also be overturned very easily. Which is VERY different from blocking someone else's access to your posts.

But aren't you just censoring yourself in that case?  The current feature is what censors others.