Master UK Political Discussion Thread

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, timewarp said:

And that's because the mindsets both in the UK and the EU are in full-on "game of chicken" mode.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, Telecaster68 said:

And some kind of moderate combination of the two

• Like 1
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Now Peston's done the crash...he can follow up with the Brexit!

He's going to get fat off the back of all this...there must be at least 2 sequels to the UK saga...😆

Well, this is interesting. The Bank of England has just said that Brexit has cost the British economy about 800m of income per week in the 2.5 years since the referendum. That's quite something compared to the famous 350m on the side of the red bus.

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm old enough to remember when we first signed up to what was then called the 'common market'. What happened in the years between then and now couldn't have been foreseen.

If we can get through this with a common market type agreement now, we'd very fortunate indeed.

And another government defeat. Why are we not surprised? 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

....it's going to be a no deal! Let's open the last box. Where's Noel Edmonds when you need him ? (not that I'm a fan of that show)...ah well, at least the banker has spoken....to the tune of 800 million.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Even scarier...last night's Question Time. When asked his opinion of Winston Churchill with regard to the concentration camps of the Boer war, Jacob Rees-Mogg said 'well they needed somewhere to live' WTF!!!

...tried posting link...no joy...have to wait for the return of laptop. Anyone who can help with regards to putting it up, fire away!

To make things even more unpredictable, Spain has just called a snap general election. If Theresa May is serious about reopening the withdrawal agreement she will need to be prepared to discuss everything, including Gibraltar. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

The Irish revenue commissioners have started a Vat Automation process which will remove all case workers from the vat section (which some have called vat dehumanisation)

The feeling is that they are being reassigned to deal with customs declarations for a no deal brexit 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Sounds like Ireland has joined the UK in that...what with all our Brexit warehouses. 

It seems like subconsciously we know what's next but haven't the power to change the course of it because it's now in the hands of others.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 2/15/2019 at 10:06 AM, timewarp said:

To make things even more unpredictable, Spain has just called a snap general election. If Theresa May is serious about reopening the withdrawal agreement she will need to be prepared to discuss everything, including Gibraltar. Good luck with that.

Well it seems your prediction was right @timewarp!

http://news.sky.com/story/spanish-warship-orders-commercial-ships-to-leave-british-gibraltar-waters-11640807

Just to add to the chaos, seven Labour MPs have resigned, due to a combination of institutional antisemitism and a controversial leader 

39 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Just to add to the chaos, seven Labour MPs have resigned

Can someone clarify for me, does this mean that the seven people in question have resigned as MPs, or merely resigned from the Labour party? If the latter, does it mean that they continue to serve as independent MPs, with no affiliation to any party? Or do they defect to a different party?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Orwell would love this. 

It has occurred to me that Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mog are so much like the pigs Snowball and Napoleon from Animal Farm, in so many ways!

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
4 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

They should probably be given the chance to sort it out @Homer... We've already had the Cowboys in!

Having been away for a bike run then had a look at the boy band... I think they should be given a megaphone and be allowed to see how many ships they can 'siren' into retreat.

John Oliver has a recent show about Brexit on his show, Last Week Tonight (I don't know if this can be played outside the US)

Besides all of the stuff about Brexit one thing that surprised me was when he said the segment showing Parliament couldn't be shown in comedy shows in the UK so for the UK airing of his show they have to put in different video. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

sometimes live on BBC parliament. It's very good comedy!

Same with the US Congress. It's certainly used for fodder by the comedy shows and late night talk shows.

4 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Sorry as a brit, I can't see your video though.

That's too bad. Do you know who John Oliver is? Or know about his US tv show? He actually covers stories like this in a fair amount of depth. It's nearly half an hour all about Brexit, with actual serious info combined with comedy. He talks about things like the issue with a hard border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, politics, and answers various questions, like what are the options, could the UK just not leave the EU, and a good bit more, and shows various Brits giving their opinions. Of course it's a comedy show, so I'm sure he picks stuff ripe for comedy, but the factual stuff is well-researched from what I hear. I'm sure it's not perfect and may have some biases, but probably no worse in those regards than many serious news shows.

• Like 1

All I've to say is that as someone who is experiencing £500 per month increased costs, £500+ per month drop in revenue, my tax and national insurance payments will drop accordingly, what about all the extra money to the NHS that sold Brexit to the doubters? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, daveb said:

(I don't know if this can be played outside the US)

It works for me. It is curious; us Frenchies are allowed to watch the Americans taking the piss out of the Brits, but the Brits themselves are not! :P

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Do you know who John Oliver is? Or know about his US tv show? 

I had not previously heard of this person or seen his TV show, but I must say I am impressed. Although the whole thing is satirical and funny, he talks a lot of sense and makes some really good points. This guy should be the prime minister of the UK, he says the most sensible things about brexit that I have heard in ages.

I am glad this video evidences my belief that the people at large should not be expected or trusted to make such fundamentally important decisions because they are, for want of a more polite term, too stupid.

In this video, we saw another turkey who had voted for Christmas! A flower seller and exporter who faces losing his entire business, all his staff and even his house because of brexit. And he voted for it! He admits that at the time of the vote, he didn't think about the consequences and how it would affect business. I have every sympathy for people who voted remain who are now facing serious problems caused by brexit. But for this idiot flower seller and people like him, I have zero sympathy.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ortac said:

I had not previously heard of this person or seen his TV show, but I must say I am impressed. Although the whole thing is satirical and funny, he talks a lot of sense and makes some really good points.

He has done similar in depth coverage of various US issues, too. I don't recall if he has ever taken on France for anything. :)