Master UK Political Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

I don't know whether to congratulate or to say sorries.

But I hope you'll be well UK...

If this won't be an absolute disaster for the UK, it'll be the beginning of the end for the EU as a whole.

Also, finally.

7 hours ago, Homer said:

If this won't be an absolute disaster for the UK, it'll be the beginning of the end for the EU as a whole.

The EU could very easily make this an absolute disaster for us if they wanted to. They probably don't, because that would be bad for them as well (though not as bad for them as for the UK and Ireland). But if they were convinced of your statement, they just might.

No fireworks here, we're the most remain constituency in England outside London, even our Tory MP is a remainer 

• Like 1

This is concerning that this lack of knowledge of your nearest neighbour from a senior political broadcaster (bbc) and political editor (spectator) 

Senior politicians of fine gael have said ireland should rejoin the commonwealth. Growing up, they've been referred to as "the commonwealth party", (and other less than complimentary remarks). They wanted to hold an Royal Irish Constabulary commemoration (they were the police force when we were part of the UK). the same poll is showing big increase from sinn fein which makes Neil's comments really laughable. 

"I don't like fine gael's anti British rhetoric, I will vote sinn fein instead" said no one ever. 

Being so wrong, It reminds me of this

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Build that bridge!

Build that bridge!

Build that bridge!

...and make Ireland pay for it :D 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Homer said:

Build that bridge!

Build that bridge!

Build that bridge!

...and make Ireland pay for it :D 

If our parties election promises are anything to go by, we have enough spending of our own

It's not just the bridge, it's also HS2. I know what a smokescreen smells like, and this one I can sniff 10 miles against the wind. Obviously the government is not keen on too much news about the negotiations with the EU. It doesn't seem to go particularly well so far.

Janus the Fox

Oh yes that HS2, the Manchester to London new rail? One that Wales would pay billions toward that Wales does not benefit at all with, a country that is still fighting for better intercity connections and effective north to south and west connections.

• Like 2

Yep, that HS2 that smells like H²S 😋😋

And would be far cheaper if the just built it on stilts along the central reservation of the M1 

20 hours ago, timewarp said:

It's not just the bridge, it's also HS2. I know what a smokescreen smells like, and this one I can sniff 10 miles against the wind. Obviously the government is not keen on too much news about the negotiations with the EU. It doesn't seem to go particularly well so far.

I think you're entirely wrong on these points. HS2 and the bridge are now very affordable, if not free because the UK has left the EU and all that money is going to be spent on these projects, the NHS, education, keeping foreigners out to put Brits first and so much more!

:ph34r: runs for the hills

(I didn't mean any of this of course - sarcasm!) :D

• Like 2
On 1/21/2020 at 11:19 PM, Skycaptain said:

Two, I've had to get an International Driving Permit to hire a car

Was it made up in the post office and photo stuck on using a prit stick? Mine was! Seriously! The person in the post office was ever so embarrassed.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Acing It said:

Was it made up in the post office and photo stuck on using a prit stick? Mine was! Seriously! The person in the post office was ever so embarrassed.

Correct 😋😋

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

H²S

Do you mean hydrogen sulfide? Or is this a eufemism for something expelled out of the back end of horses? 😁

Hydrogen Sulphide 

35 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Hydrogen Sulphide 

What a shame. I was hoping for the more creative horse x 2 +sh*t 😂 (which doesn't smell very different I guess).

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

Looks like Javid has resigned and four weeks before the budget too. 

I don't blame him in the circumstances. 

Purple Wanderer

Terrified of the budget this year. 

Let's be honest, as long as the markets are bullish, neither the budget nor Brexit won't be a big issue. Be terrified, be very terrified, when the bubble breaks down. It's been a long time since 2009 and the main question is when it happens, not if. If the current situation continues for, say, five years, there's not much to worry.

My impression is that the conservatives have found their magic money tree. I expect it to be a big borrow-and-spend budget. But we'll see.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, michaeld said:

My impression is that the conservatives have found their magic money tree. I expect it to be a big borrow-and-spend budget. But we'll see.

Basically everything that they blamed New Labour for doing. On the other hand we do need to reverse austerity measures so who knows?

• Like 1

This year's budget isn't the worry. Next year's probably won't be. 2022, when everything's not gone according to the brexiteers pipe dream will be a different matter 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, timewarp said:

when the bubble breaks down

What bubble? I haven't seen any evidence for a bubble in my own life.

brexit.png

?! Hold it. Is it, This isn't the Brexit I voted for, or, This is the Brexit I voted for?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Acing It said:

What bubble? I haven't seen any evidence for a bubble in my own life.

No, you wouldn't see it in your everyday life. You need to look at economic data for that. What's happening right now looks quite similar to the Dotcom Bubble in the late 1990s. Most of the major shares especially on the US market are extremely expensive, which means if something triggers an economic downturn - and these days that could be simply a bug in a trading algorithm - they have a long way to fall.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Kelly said:

brexit.png

?! Hold it. Is it, This isn't the Brexit I voted for, or, This is the Brexit I voted for?

That's just ridiculous. The immigration queue at Schiphol is extremely busy more often than not. Nothing to do with Brexit, it's just a busy airport.

• Like 2

@Kelly, the Dutch immigration service has issued a statement saying that queues were longer than normal, because it was the first day of actual on-the-job training for a group of new recruits to the immigration service.

Mind the British home office aren't much better. They asked a 100 year old Italian to get references from both his parents to verify his identity 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Mind the British home office aren't much better. They asked a 100 year old Italian to get references from both his parents to verify his identity 

To be fair, it depends if they were travelling with a passport or an ID card. The Italian ID cards are issued by local rather than national government and are not really up to the standards of the 20th century, let alone the 21st. That's why you see those signs at the UK border that strongly urge Italians to use a passport rather than an ID card.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, timewarp said:

To be fair, it depends if they were travelling with a passport or an ID card.

The 100 year old Italian or his parents? :P 

• Like 2