Master UK Political Discussion Thread

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, iff said:

What evidence and examples of this in use for border controls is there?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, Telecaster68 said:

Oh. The ERG. Because they never come up with mad unsubstantiated shit... 

25 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

I think it's new, but with existing tech.  You'll need to look at their papers.  I think the ERG has stuff on this.  It's beyond me.

Analysis of this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/12/eurosceptic-group-paper-on-irish-border-offers-no-breakthrough-ideas-erg

26 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

By not requiring a hard border next to a non EU country.

But if not in the same customs union, would that mean that Ireland would become a base for smuggling and avoidance of tariffs.

If something has a high customs duty, then ship it via Belfast through newry to carlingford lough to export to the rest of Europe, excise free.

So Ireland becomes a hub for evasion of customs duty.

Then there is also Vat rules and such. Vat is payable on goods entering the customs union but under this, there is no check either at entering Ireland from UK or from entering mainland Europe from Ireland so it creates a big loophole for businesses.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea particularly if it means making some border counties in Ireland industrial hubs with customs free access to both the UK and Europe but it is unworkable because of it being open to evasion

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:18 AM, iff said:

Analysis of this

Another point to remember for Eire is that a fair quantity of freight goes from Germany to the UK and across to Eire. If this then has to go around Britain it would cost more 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
22 hours ago, timewarp said:

Not quite. I was not allowed to vote, but I wouldn't have known how to decide. Both campaigns were equally rubbish and I still can't see anything beyond the smoke screens and red herrings. It's just all deeply irrational, on both sides.

I didn't vote either and for precisely the same reason...thete was look aid on both sides...and there still is.

1 minute ago, Telecaster68 said:

Not particularly baiting. I just find the whole Maureen From Oxford 'oh no not again' tendency incredibly infuriating, as it's always followed by massive cynicism about how those people aren't listened to. People died for your right to vote. Don't be so appallingly arrogant as to not use it.

Even if it's such a ridiculously difficult decision that it's basically a lottery? In my book the right to abstain is a perfectly legitimate part of the right to vote.

• Like 3
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I exercise my right to vote or not. It's a democracy not a dictatorship. Now, leave me alone please, I'm more interested in other threads so I won't be answering any 'last word's'. I also exercise that right 

Custard Cream
1 minute ago, timewarp said:

Even if it's such a ridiculously difficult decision that it's basically a lottery? In my book the right to abstain is a perfectly legitimate part of the right to vote.

I agree.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

It's fine as long as you don't complain about the result.

Did you honestly have absolutely no idea which you'd prefer? Even on an instinctive gut level? Or as a least worst option?

Well, for me it's just theoretical as we bloody foreigners don't get to vote. I might have eventually decided for remain as the less experimental option.

• Like 1
Custard Cream
6 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Calm down, dear.

Not in the least bit patronising!

• Like 1
Custard Cream
4 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

I think that was rude. No excuses.

seconded.

• Like 1
Custard Cream
1 minute ago, chandrakirti said:

...and this is the second thread that this scenario has developed right after I posted on it. 

Yes, I saw that - twice in one morning, in different forums,

Folks, could we please not? Thanks.

• Like 1

OK, wow, this thread turned into an argument since I looked this morning.

Anyway, how about those British politics, eh? I see Theresa May has asked for more time to secure a vote.

• Like 1

Business has a better handle for the ramifications than politicians. Maybe they should listen to the CBI, TUC (so employers and employees are represented) rather than just acting to try and serve their own ends 

24 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Business has a better handle for the ramifications than politicians. Maybe they should listen to the CBI, TUC (so employers and employees are represented) rather than just acting to try and serve their own ends 

Northern Ireland business, trade union and farming groups supports the deal that has already been reached but only 1 of the 18 MPs elected does. The dup 10 are opposed and sf 7 just want to get their expenses.

• Like 1

Oh well, another vote today. Ergo another balls-up. 

This is slightly off topic but pertains to British politics, and made me laugh. Reference people leaving Britain to fight for ISIL 

"There are many things Britain should be exporting to the world, but terrorists aren't one of them" 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, Telecaster68 said:

I've said since the day after the referendum that it'll happen in name, but only barely in practice - mostly we will no longer have an official voice in making the rules, and any financial contributions will be far more 'grey'. But in terms of things and people moving round Europe, and arrangements between institutions apart from the European parliament and commission, there won't be much change. 'Interim' arrangements will just keep being extended till they're permanent, in effect.

36 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

It's certainly interesting to watch unfold.

I'm still in the 'I don't think Brexit will actually happen' camp, but I might be surprised.

There was an interesting piece written by Robert Peston that basically said it has all a very strong feel of Lehmann brothers about it. Everybody (of those in charge at least) is aware of the possible consequences of a no-deal Brexit, but they still might let it happen. And that's because the mindsets both in the UK and the EU are in full-on "game of chicken" mode.

36 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

any financial contributions will be far more 'grey'. 

Grey brexit, like grey asexual?  

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Oh well, another vote today. Ergo another balls-up. 

This is slightly off topic but pertains to British politics, and made me laugh. Reference people leaving Britain to fight for ISIL 

"There are many things Britain should be exporting to the world, but terrorists aren't one of them" 

...and one wants to return to have her baby safely so it doesn't perish like the other two. But that's another story.

I read Peston's book 'How do we fix this mess?'' last year and now can't wait for the sequel...