Master UK Political Discussion Thread

Cheshire-Cat

I have to say I don't know enough about the bill to be able to say whether voting against it is a good or bad thing. Whilst I agree with reuniting lone children with their families I suppose it depends on which way that would work. If a child's family is in this country then they should be allowed to come into the country to reunite. If the child's family are in another safe country then the child should probably be moving to that country rather that it allowing the whole family into this country. It also depends on what we're defining as child and what proof there is they are actually a child. There's certainly been cases of illegal immigrants 'loosing' their documentation and claiming to be children when they obviously aren't children.

• Like 1

The current wording on article 37 is

37 Arrangements with EU about unaccompanied children seeking asylum

In section 17 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (family unity for
those seeking asylum or other protection in Europe), for subsection (1)
substitute—
“(1) A Minister of the Crown must, within the period of two months
beginning with the day on which the European Union (Withdrawal
Agreement) Act 2020 is passed, lay before Parliament a statement of
policy in relation to any future arrangements between the United
Kingdom and the EU about

(a) unaccompanied children, who make an application for
international protection to a member State, coming to the
United Kingdom where it is in their best interests to join a
relative who—
(i) is a lawful resident of the United Kingdom, or
(ii) has made a protection claim which has not been
decided, and
(b) unaccompanied children in the United Kingdom, who make a
protection claim, going to a member State to join a relative there
in equivalent circumstances.”

The amendment would have made it firmer than just "making a statement" 

The Johnson government had watered it down from the commitment by May government. 

When Johnson watered it down, this is an article on it

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/boris-johnson-abandons-vulnerable-refugee-children-in-brexit-bill-in-shameful-u-turn/20/12/

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
On 12/31/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ortac said:

One cultural difference I have noticed between the UK and many continental countries is that in the UK, people don’t seem to fully appreciate or have a high regard for your pharmacists.

In France, if someone is suffering from an ailment, the usual thing for most people would be to go and consult a pharmacist in the first instance. If the pharmacist is unable to diagnose the problem or they recognise that it is something more serious than they are able to deal with, they will say “I think you should go and see your doctor”. In many cases however, the pharmacist knows what the problem is, and they are able to offer something to treat the ailment or alleviate the symptoms.

In the UK, this is much less common, if it even happens at all. It seems to me that people there perceive pharmacists as being little more than glorified shop assistants without appreciating that it is a skilled profession and that they possess a lot of knowledge. This is not a good thing because it puts extra unnecessary strain on doctors and exacerbates the problem you describe.

Well it seems this pharmacist would absolutely NOT want anyone to do what you suggest:

"'Discuss your medication with the pharmacist' urged a large sign. 'Let us check your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc'. Er, when? Now? Somehow I am afraid to ask. After exactly 23 minutes we obtained our amoxicillin and left the pharmacy as another group of patients arrived.

"Aren't you glad you are not working there today?" said my friend. I did not have the heart to tell her that I was due there the following week. Should I cancel? Coward, I thought. I later rang the pharmacy to confirm my booking the following Friday.

"Sorry I won't see you," said the dispenser. "That's my day off.""

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/content/repeat-after-me-i-am-overworked

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
On 12/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, Blitzentan said:

I always say if you don't vote, you've no right to complain - if they voted they're entitled to do it. :D 
Seriously, if people didn't abuse the NHS, A&E and the ambulance service being two prime examples, then perhaps the queues wouldn't be quite so long (maybe just an hour). And at least she GOT a bed 

Well, your comment puts me at risk of breaching terms and services with my response out of extreme frustration...

It is the tories who we are complaining about. It is the tories who everyone is complaining about. Whether they know it or not, most of their current complaints will be worsened by the tories. The tories fix nothing, tear everything apart, and do so while dogwhistling all the while. I don't care if someone voted or not, if they voted tory it is THEY who have absolutely ZERO right to complain!

• Like 1

Brexit mep realises the problem with brexit

• Like 4
fooledbysecrecy
16 hours ago, iff said:

Brexit mep realises the problem with brexit

this is the only silver lining about this whole mess, to sit back and watch them realise what they've done

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I think it will take a while yet for these people to realise the full implications of what they have done, because it will take time for the many negative effects of leaving the EU to kick in and start affecting people's daily lives. The trouble is by then it will be too late. 

I only hope that idiots like Johnson, Farage, Gove, Leadsom, Widdecombe etc. are still alive to see the day when the current young generation who have had no say in this matter vent their fury at them for what they did and take the UK back into the EU.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Ortac said:

because it will take time for the many negative effects of leaving the EU to kick in

I hope you're aware this kind of statement is, and has always been, highly speculative. The effects might or might not be mostly negative or mostly positive. The hard truth is nobody knows, especially not until a final deal is agreed. This is what has been annoying me ever since the referendum campaign started. Now, five years later, it's still absurd zombie apocalypse vs. unicorns in fairyland scenarios all around. Why can't we, at least for now, assume that things in the UK won't change all that much?

• Like 1

I've already found two negative effects. 

One my gross income is down £6k 

Two, I've had to get an International Driving Permit to hire a car in Iceland, which wasn't the case last year 

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

Even with a majority, Jonson still can’t get a deal through, through the Lords.

10 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Even with a majority, Jonson still can’t get a deal through, through the Lords.

Who cares? The Lords have to give in eventually. That's how this ridiculous political system works.

• Like 1

So I ended up visiting Boston the other day, which happens to be the place with the highest pro Brexit vote in the UK with nearly 76% "leave" votes. While I don't think that Brexit will improve anything (and it looks like they don't think that either), I can at least see what made them say eff it, it can hardly get any worse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/28/in-boston-britains-most-pro-brexit-town-voters-are-fed-up.html

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=760436983

Finally, British Atheists have a song they can use as a national anthem that doesn't mention G-d:

• Like 1

I still think that being stripped of my European citizenship is a crime against humanity and those responsible should answer to a tribunal at The Hague 

Well I think that's somewhat hyperbolic. But I will say this. The Brexit supporters are probably celebrating right now, and calling this a victory for the UK over... the EU, elites, Londoners, liberals, remoaners what have you. The Prime Minister will speak later and will probably say it's a great day for the UK.

I just feel sad, but long resigned. Brexit has changed me. I feel my country isn't what I thought it was, and I'm deeply disappointed with what it's become. The tradegy isn't that we won't be in the EU. I've long said we could have done fine outside the EU (best bet would have been to never join in the first place, but build a relationship from outside). It's the manner in which it happened, and the quality of the debate, that is so upsetting.

Four years ago I was happy to be British - warts and all. Now I just live here out of convenience and because people I know are here. I used to be optimistic about the future; now I can't be. I never planned to have children, mostly due to being asexual and repulsed, but now I wouldn't in any case because I wouldn't want to bring anyone into the world of Brexit and Trump.

The scars brought about by this escapade are wide and deep and won't heal quickly if at all. Let's just hope the blue passports make it all worthwhile.

• Like 3

Bl**dy brexit is all over tv like it's newyear's eve. I switch the thing off to listen to swiss radio and they're going on about it there too. I'm expecting literal fireworks at 11pm. I still have some work to do otherwise I would be going to bed.

Whore*of*Mensa
1 minute ago, Acing It said:

Bl**dy brexit is all over tv like it's newyear's eve. I switch the thing off to listen to swiss radio and they're going on about it there too. I'm expecting literal fireworks at 11pm. I still have some work to do otherwise I would be going to bed.

Ugh. Our TV aerial is broken so luckily I can't see any real-time TV and I'm trying to pretend it's not actually happening. 

• Like 1

I just love the fact that before Octobers not Brecit there was a big Brecit fanfare with massive posters and adverts everywhere. Now it's actually happening it's all comparatively quiet.

Janus the Fox

The smug rant and wave flag stunt from Farage says everything.

4 minutes ago, Cheshire-Cat said:

I just love the fact that before Octobers not Brecit there was a big Brecit fanfare with massive posters and adverts everywhere. Now it's actually happening it's all comparatively quiet.

We'll see if it's still quiet at llpm.

3 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

The smug rant and wave flag stunt from Farage says everything.

I missed that, fortunately. Not just because of Brexit, but I can't stand people like him, Trump and the like.

• Like 1
Whore*of*Mensa

It's 11pm and I can hear fireworks in my area :( 

Whore*of*Mensa
1 minute ago, Acing It said:

@Cheshire-Cat is right, it is quiet here. Sorry @Whore*of*Mensa. Time for headphones and soothing music?

Yes, that might be a good idea -this feels unreal!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

It's 11pm and I can hear fireworks in my area :( 

I heard some in my neighbourhood.

Tbh, I found the best way to cope with this evening was to go out dancing with mates. We genuinely forgot about Brexit till just after 10pm.

• Like 2

EPm8229WAAEYlFW?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Homer said:

EPm8229WAAEYlFW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Good one, but the top of the billboard goes both ways. Millions of people can't be wrong voting for Brexit/voting against Brexit.

• Like 1