Master UK Political Discussion Thread

I see Suella Braverman joins Trump & Putin in winning a ‘D*** of the year’ award. Congratulations, well deserved! 🥳

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, ThePapercraftingCat said:

What disgusts me even more is that pound shop Thatcher

That's giving Thatcher waaaay too much status I think, using her to bounce Liz Truss off of. IMO they're both in the gutter with their politics. 

• 2 weeks later...
OptimisticPessimist

We need a general election now. 

• Like 1

Agreed, and we need make sure the Tories never get a chance of governing again. 

• Like 2
OptimisticPessimist

Agreed, they should not be allowed in power again. 

After the awful comments he made, he still refuses to apologise which isn't surprising, but it shows even more, that they don't care about anyone, and will continue to attack everyone, espeically at the moment, trans people. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

Agreed, they should not be allowed in power again. 

After the awful comments he made, he still refuses to apologise which isn't surprising, but it shows even more, that they don't care about anyone, and will continue to attack everyone, espeically at the moment, trans people. 

I am sorry that the US political virus has apparently spread to the UK.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sally said:

I am sorry that the US political virus has apparently spread to the UK.  

As much as I would love to blame an outside party, I don't think its a US virus. Sadly, this sort of hatred is transnational, the UK is not immune, 

• Like 6
JimmyJazz

The culture war is all that the Conservatives have now and the British public knows it. 20 points behind in the polls for over a year now. They are heading towards a landslide defeat of historic proportions.

• Like 2

Harold Wilson's 1964 election campaign used the slogan "end 13 wasted years of Tory rule".  Keir Starmer will probably use that slogan again. Wilson won and Starmer will have to do something extraordinarily bad not to win too. But will he be able to do better than Wilson did (he won a snap election in 1966 but got voted out in 1970, only to return in 1974 and then resign suddenly and still mysteriously in 1976). History considers that he did a good job of reforming society in the first period but is more mixed thereafter)?  

OptimisticPessimist

Larry the cat could do a better job than who we have currently. 

So, they are trying to ban face masks. Ignoring the fact that covid is still around and that some people need to wear them, along with trying to stop protests.  

While a lot of people have stated they won't vote for Labour as they are currently, and with Starmer in charge, they'd still have do something really bad to not get in. 

Gotta love that people who claim to be about freedom now want to ban face masks. What happened to letting people choose for themselves? 

• Like 1
The Sword
On 2/9/2024 at 8:09 PM, ben8884 said:

As much as I would love to blame an outside party, I don't think its a US virus. Sadly, this sort of hatred is transnational, the UK is not immune, 

It spreads like cancer through social media, though, and most of those (like Facecrook and Shitter) originate in the US... so, yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

As I am always wrong in my predictions, I am predicting this so it won't happen:

Labour destroy the Tories in 2024 and spend maybe 16 years in government, at least a decade.

The Tories become irrelevant and go through various leaders of no consequence, meanwhile, Farage's gang become a bit bigger.

Farage comes to the conclusion that the only way to beat Labour is with a merger/take over. Some Tories object the party is too weak to really mount a defence.

Farage becomes leader of the new Conservative party-he probably keeps the name but has a new logo.

By now, everyone is pissed off with Labour and Farage becomes PM.

It might not be Farage, but someone from his party. 

OptimisticPessimist

^^
If only they'd become irrelevant now. Huge no to Farage being in power or any of them again. 

• Like 1