Master UK Political Discussion Thread

I think that British "news" papers are an absolute disgrace. It's a shame people buy them. What they deserve is for everyone to stop buying them so that they go out of business. 

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

When a paper has the title like ‘Demon Chicken Dinner told me to Kill’ And it’s covered in female breasts then it’s gone pretty bad... Then again, what to expect in a paper like Daily Sport.

I can't help thinking that the Tories have made a serious error of judgement renaming their Twitter account to "factcheckUK" during last night's debate. A party that is already running rather low on voters' trust should think very carefully about that kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it backfires.

• Like 2

@timewarp, something tells me that's only going to be an issue for a day or so. Especially as they've got lucky, and the Prince Andrew kerfuffle has taken over the news 

39 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Especially as they've got lucky, and the Prince Andrew kerfuffle has taken over the news

The timing of his actions would suggest he's a strong Tory supporter. I'm sure he was aware what stepping down from all his duties on the day of the Lib Dem manifesto launch would mean. Same for the interview he decided to give long after the story had already been known and well after the start of the election campaign.

• Like 1

I doubt there is any relation. I don't think Prince Andrew would have given the interview at all if he'd had any idea of the uproar it was going to cause. Stepping down from public duties seems like an attempt at damage limitation - ie. to make less of a story not more - possibly on request by the Queen or other royal officials.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, michaeld said:

I doubt there is any relation. I don't think Prince Andrew would have given the interview at all if he'd had any idea of the uproar it was going to cause. Stepping down from public duties seems like an attempt at damage limitation - ie. to make less of a story not more - possibly on request by the Queen or other royal officials.

Something suggests to me that he was told to step down in now uncertain terms by his mum 

• 2 weeks later...

IF the papers are to be believed, not only the Queen but also Prince Charles and Prince William demanded Andrew should 'resign from the firm'. He has always been arrogant, never listened to anyone's advice. So, he has been sacked and (again if stories are to be believed) willnot receive any money from the Civil List.

• Like 2

@Tanwen, I wouldn't be surprised if the "firm" have discretely let that news out through the back door, so they are seen to have taken action without publicly disowning him 

is royal shenanigans politics over there? I guess celebrity activism (like that reality tv star) are argued as politics over here...

59 minutes ago, gisiebob said:

is royal shenanigans politics over there? I guess celebrity activism (like that reality tv star) are argued as politics over here...

Prince Andrew is right now. But generally no.

On a different note. The knife attack in London made me think of mass shootings in America. If they had been in America the call would have been 'Lets arm everyone with knives! Then they can defend themselves from knives!' but here we luckily realise that that is just a stupid idea.

• Like 1

I think Corbout has totally misread public feeling by making a statement which comes across as being soft on terrorism. BJ saying that terrorists will serve their full sentence will prove much more popular 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I think Corbout has totally misread public feeling by making a statement which comes across as being soft on terrorism. BJ saying that terrorists will serve their full sentence will prove much more popular 

Whether they serve their full sentence or only part of it will make no difference unless theres meaningful intervention when they're inside. Sadly this is usually lacking in our prison systems. Often terrorist groups choose those who are vulnerable to exploitation to undertake their work. Shouldn't we be helping these people rather than demonising them?

Janus the Fox

This goes both ways with the public sway, people can see that Johnson is coming on too strong on that stance and Corbin being too soft.  The law is on the labour side of this as Corbin later reiterated its not necessarily the case even for terrorists, both have been criticised for their black and white approaches for political capital.  Neither would have prevented this, there’s those in and out of prison it’s the opportunity in doing the terrorising.

7 hours ago, Moonman said:

The Labour Party refusing to disclose where these leaked documents have come from is a little alarming, particularly if they are from a Russian interference campaign as Reddit is claiming

Maybe Boris johnson should release the report on Russian interference in the EU referendum to show that the Russians are interfering with elections

Meanwhile, fair criticisms of johnson

18 hours ago, Moonman said:

The Labour Party refusing to disclose where these leaked documents have come from is a little alarming, particularly if they are from a Russian interference campaign as Reddit is claiming.

Say what you want about the suspicion that the Conservative Party has taken donations from Moscow, but showing off reports that are a product of foreign interference doesn't exactly demonstrate Corbyn's much-lauded integrity. It seems he feels this kind of meddling is perfectly okay if Labour can profit from it and further their agenda. 😕

Because no other party (including the conservatives) have or would do the same. And if others hadn't tried to hide it wouldn't it already have been public knowledge? Why is it when Corbyn does something it's all pointed out but any of the other parties do the EXACT SAME THING and no-one bats an eyelid.

• Like 2

@Cheshire Cat, most of the British media is right of centre, only the Daily Mirror and to an extent The Guardian are pro-left, TV is very right 

Tell me again when the British election is.   I'm watching the Israel election news and my country's election news and I'm getting confused.  

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Tell me again when the British election is.   I'm watching the Israel election news and my country's election news and I'm getting confused. 

Thursday

As the British Fox News (quite literally as it is owned by News Corp.) I have to say its standards might be even lower than Fox News. Even Fox News won't put headlines like "Marxist Bernie Sanders..." The way Sun puts "RED FOR DANGER What UK would look like if Jeremy Corbyn was elected"https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10510461/britain-if-jeremy-corbyn-elected/ 

These headlines read like the Onion.

Read an article today that said if Boris wins and pushes Brexit , Scotland may vote to leave the Union shortly afterwards.  Sounds like the Union might be in trouble after all these years.

Since the 1980s and ever since I have had an interest in UK politics, the Conservative party have been moderately to the right and the Labour party have been moderately to the left. During the Tony Blair years, some may even consider Labour to have gone slightly right of centre. It looks to me like the Labour party has now shifted much too extremely to the left, whilst the Conservative party has shifted much too extremely to the right, which I think for a country like the UK which has typically been governed by majority governments of one of these two parties rather than by coalitions is at best undesirable, and at worst really quite a dangerous situation to be in.

I think the best possible outcome of this forthcoming election would be once again for no one party to have an overall majority, and for the more moderate Liberal Democrats to pick up a decent number of seats, so that they can reign in a Conservative or Labour minority government on their more extreme policies. Both Conservative and Labour are putting forward policies which would be very damaging to the UK's economy if either of them got a majority government and were able to implement them.

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Read an article today that said if Boris wins and pushes Brexit , Scotland may vote to leave the Union shortly afterwards.  Sounds like the Union might be in trouble after all these years.

It's not true. 

• Like 1

How media helped supercede a story about Johnson stealing a phone to avoid question about 4 year old sleeping on hospital floor with a false story about a minister being assaulted

I think it is at farce stage when pm prefers to hide in a fridge then answer questions

What really happened is that lady showed the picture and said "Here's a son you've forgotten about" 😋 😋 

• Like 1

Boris Johnson busting through "get brexit done" walls like the new yellow Kool-aid man. 

FoxNews UK/The Sun is the leading paper in circulation so git-r-done, I guess.

1 hour ago, Moonman said:

I'm relatively young in the grand scheme of things. This is my third election, but has the mainstream media ever been as patently biased as it has been during this election?

I'm referring to the fresh criticism being directed as Laura Kuenssberg for supposedly knowing the outcome of postal votes a day before the actual election. On top of that, four journalists were caught out reporting a story of a Labour activist attacking Matt Hancock, which video footage promptly disproved. Has it always been this way? Has the agenda always been this clear?

One of which was kussenberg also. 2 tories told her it happened which was enough in that regard. 

The link I posted on the other page deals with it