Master UK Political Discussion Thread

Skycaptain

One thing - this is probably the first European election that more than 20% of the population give two hoots about 

And there is still a possibility that they wont take place at all

ReverentCreature

If we have to vote I will be voting for the Brexit Party. 

No party did well and so many failed to vote out of anger for the slow pace of Brexit so far.

6 hours ago, ben8884 said:

not sure how I am gonna vote in the EU elections. I am naturally inclined for the Greens and I think they are the best party however, my Dad has pointed out that the Greens have no chance in the East Midlands and that voting Green might help the Brexit Party. So I may vote Lib Dem or even Labour to stop them. 

5 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I'm worried that Change and LibDems will split the stay/second referendum vote, which will weaken the 'just stop it! now!' argument. They need to co-ordinate.

The European elections use PR if I remember correctly, so splitting the vote isn't such a big deal. I'd just vote for whomever you agree with most.

9 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I'm worried that Change and LibDems will split the stay/second referendum vote, which will weaken the 'just stop it! now!' argument. They need to co-ordinate.

Thats kinda what my Dad and I were talking about the other day and why I am reconsidering voting Green. The trouble is, there are 3 "remain" parties (4 if you count Labour, 4 and a half if you count Labour and some Tories) and only 2 Brexit parties (3 if you count the BNP, 3 and a half if you count the BNP and some Tories). Because of this there is more of a potential for vote splitting. While its impossible really to deduce anything from the European elections (but that won't stop May saying "the message is clear-we must deliver Brexit whatever the outcome) if we were to try the only way to honestly do it is add up the votes for all the Remain parties vs Brexit parties. 

4 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I dunno. Three or four MEPs are elected per regional constituency, and at least a couple will be from the two main parties. So if the LibDem vote is halved by Change, or vice versa, it could easily be the difference between getting a decent number of 'remain' MEPs and almost none.

True - there is some incentive to vote tactically, arising from the fact the number of MEPs per region is a small non-negative integer. It's pretty difficult to analyse this though - I think it could also work the other way. So I'm just going to vote for my preferred party (lib dems in my case).

@michaeld if you don't mind me asking do you do a proxy vote? I notice in your location that you're in the States. I use a proxy vote. I ask because apparently now we have to register before every election. 

I'm UK based and British. I changed the location on my profile when I was visiting Texas in 2011 and never got round to changing it back. 😛

• Like 1

I wouldn't take the locations of people on here for granted. I don't live in Stratford either, it's just one of the few places that have AVEN in their name...

• Like 3

how long will May stay in office? I mean at this point shes basically lost control of her party. Meanwhile Corbyn said Labour could unit the country but I am unsure how seeing as how they cannot unite themselves. 

For British EU voters, according to this calculation, https://www.remainunited.org/be-tactical/ best voting choice in England for remain is lib dems while nationalists are best in Wales and Scotland.

Hopefully, northern Ireland could return a real remainer. The third seat is between alliance, UUP and SDLP so I think it depends on who comes fourth and fifth. If alliance come ahead of SDLP, then alliance will do better from transfers than UUP. If SDLP come ahead of alliance, then the third seat is between UUP and SDLP and more likely, the UUP.

Skycaptain

Corbout could unite the country into hating him even more than they do now. If Labour want to be credible he has to go 

Cheshire-Cat

Corbyn is a marmite. He got a LOT of people interested in politics that otherwise wouldn't have been. However, his less traditional stance isn't favoured by many of his colleagues (who seem to want to be closer to the conservatives in policy). I think he should have taken a more decisive stance on Brexit one way or the other but other than that I rather like his different way of looking at things and his unconventional-ism. It's just the media have taken every opportunity possible to slate him when there's been other things far more worthy of reporting.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Skycaptain

Only in Britain..... 

Leaving aside the milkshake, I was wondering why Farage was bothering turning up in Scotland in the first place. But then I remembered UKIP won a seat in Scotland at the Euro election last time (or the time before, can't remember...) so maybe the Brexit party will this time.

Blaiddmelyn

I'm just baffled as to why banning milkshakes solves anything. Were I an individual hellbent on throwing food or drink at someone, I could just get an ice cream or ... literally any cold drink. I admit milkshake has a particular viscosity to it, but if I'm that determined, I can plan around this.

True - it'd be questionable publicity for McDonald's if it was their milkshake though, especially if they were tipped off about it beforehand.

Skycaptain

It's because McDonald's isn't British. Hoying Irn Bru at him would be acceptable :P:P

• Like 2

As much as I dislike what Farage stands for, I don't think this is a good development.

• Like 1
Blaiddmelyn

Nor me. Much as I disagree with pretty much everything Farage has to say: (i) he has a right to say it and we have a right to then address his arguments; and (ii) it just makes him look like a victim.

• Like 1
Skycaptain

Trouble is that this has started a trend. Every brexiteer is going to be targeted by milkshakes, they'll become the symbol of remaining 

The childish part of me wouldn't mind seeing that being done to certain politicians over here. The sweet tooth side sees it as a waste of a milkshake. :P 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, daveb said:

The childish part of me wouldn't mind seeing that being done to certain politicians over here. The sweet tooth side sees it as a waste of a milkshake. :P 

We could use soft-serve ice cream.  It's not real ice cream.  What is in that stuff anyway?

19 minutes ago, Sally said:

We could use soft-serve ice cream.  It's not real ice cream.  What is in that stuff anyway?

Or frozen yogurt? :P 

• Like 1
Skycaptain

Milkshakes are predominantly potato starch

Farage wants to press charges against the assailant. 

Pity there's not much milk involved, or we could churn out bad puns about assault and buttery :P:P

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Milkshakes are predominantly potato starch

Where did you get that info from?

I can't find any reliable source that says that.

• Like 1