Canadian political discussion thread

ben8884

Canadian_geek
4 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

I think you should! In the UK the Greens wanted to make asexuality part of the sex ed curriculum. 

@michaeld Is that true? 

I hadn't heard that, but no particular reason to doubt it! And thanks for tagging me. I was curious about the election coming up, and didn't know about this thread. I'm visiting Canada for 3 weeks, arriving a few days after the election.

I've never really considered voting Green in the UK despite considering myself an environmentalist; one of my main issues is their dislike of nuclear power, just like most environmentalist activist groups.

In the UK I've been voting lib dem in the last few elections. The nearest equivalent in Canada might be the NDP, though I don't know much about them. I see there's also a new possible UKIP/AfD/FN type party too. Oh well, at least you don't have an EU to leave!

Canadian_geek

Yeah the closest party by my estimate you're thinking of is the people's party of Canada. For an abbreviation, extreme conservatives. I'm watching the french language debate as I'm writing this post. if you're interested, here is a stream going on right now, 

When you're in town we should get together for a meet up. It was awesome when you were last here. :) 

17 hours ago, Canadian_geek said:

@michaeld Is that true? 

There was a part in the greens manifesto on asexuality and aromanticism

According to Singh he is open to an NDP/Liberal coalition. I like this idea as there is lots in the NDP platform I like but in my riding I am better off voting Liberal-a party that also has things I like. It also keeps out Scheer which is a good thing. 

3 hours ago, ben8884 said:

According to Singh he is open to an NDP/Liberal coalition. I like this idea as there is lots in the NDP platform I like but in my riding I am better off voting Liberal-a party that also has things I like. It also keeps out Scheer which is a good thing. 

A coalition makes most sense if there is going to be a hung parliament, which is rare in a first past the post system though entirely possible, as 2/3 of the recent UK elections were hung. Are the polls showing a good chance of a hung parliament?

On 10/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, iff said:

There was a part in the greens manifesto on asexuality and aromanticism

That's awesome!

Knight of Cydonia

I want to like the (Canadian) Greens due to their environmental mentality but I just can't. They are too anti-science. Aside from being so hard on nuclear, they and Elizabeth May have been anti-GMO, anti-fluoridation of water, pro-homeopathy, anti-wifi, and vaccine skeptics. Very disappointing and concerning.

20 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

I want to like the (Canadian) Greens due to their environmental mentality but I just can't. They are too anti-science. Aside from being so hard on nuclear, they and Elizabeth May have been anti-GMO, anti-fluoridation of water, pro-homeopathy, anti-wifi, and vaccine skeptics. Very disappointing and concerning.

Could you please provide the links/sources for the anti-fluoride, pro-homeopathy, anti-wifi, and anti-vaccine claims? Thanks.

This election is an insult to the Canadian public. I hope that all the parties lose.

Knight of Cydonia
42 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Could you please provide the links/sources for the anti-fluoride, pro-homeopathy, anti-wifi, and anti-vaccine claims? Thanks.

This is a good review of un-scientific positions held previously (and in some cases, still held) by the Greens.

Fluoridation: 

Official motion calling for "a ban on the fluoridation of public drinking water"

Homoeopathy:

Quotes from the official Green Party Policy from 2011: "We will promote complimentary health care - through support of chiropractic, naturopathic, homeopathic, and other non-western practices." (page 73) and "Expand healthcare coverage to include qualified complementary/alternative health professionals such as naturopaths, acupuncturists, homeopaths, licensed massage therapists, chiropractors, and dieticians." (page 75)

- After there was backlash and someone called her party out for support for homeopathy, Elizabeth May denied support (despite being on their official website as part of their official party policy) and said it was a "mistake". Take from that what you will. If it was truly an error, well, I'd hope they would proof read their official policies before asking the rest of Canada to do so! Or it wasn't an error and they're lying.

Wifi:

Elizabeth May on Twitter: "It is very disturbing how quickly Wifi has moved into schools as it is children who are the most vulnerable." (July 2011)

- "Interesting and informative session on electromagnetic frequencies and Smart Meters. So glad I don't have Wifi at home." (July 2011)

Vaccines:

- I didn't say May and the Green Party are anti-vaxx (and I don't think they are) but I do think there is more encouragement of skepticism than necessary. For example, in response to (who I assume is an anti-vaxxer) "@lorabruncke @FairVoteCanada #GMO #chemtrails #HFCS #RITALIN #AIDS #vaccines #SV40 Without fair voting, those issues (and more) are ignored." (Oct 2013)

- They don't mention vaccines once in their discussion of good preventative health care in their current policy.

- In line with encouarageing harmful skepticism, she's also done things like submitted a petition to the House of Commons for the government to revisit the 9/11 inside-job conspiracy on behalf of one of her constitutents

Seems Trudeau's Liberal party stays in power but without a majority. If this was the UK, they'd probably be trying to make a coalition now, but from what I understand in Canada minority governments are more common than coalitions? Also in the UK the Queen would be involved, at least ceremonially. I realise Canada has the same monarchy, but I can't imagine Trudeau having to phone the Queen to ask permission to form a government. Is there any replacement for the ceremonial role the Queen takes when forming governments, or do they just get on with it?

in Canada Trudeau will speak to the Governor General. From what I gather Trudeau and Singh spoke last night but we shouldn't expect much in co-operation. Singh is dreaming if he thinks Trudeau will give up the pipeline though who knows maybe he would be grateful that Singh gave him an excuse. The last time the Liberals and the NDP worked together like this was about a decade or so ago but times are different now. We've become too partisan and this lack of co-operation will hurt Canada. 

I am disappointed about the election results. A NDP-Liberal coallition is likely on law 21 of Quebec about secular government, though it may not be on other issues. I fear that such a coallition revives the independance debate.

I think it is stoking the fires for a western separatist debate as well. Should Trudeau appoint a western Senator to his Cabinet? I dunno...I know its traditionally whats done but I don't like the idea of a Minister who can't be recalled by the people.

For anyone not in Canada wondering-the Senate is an un-elected chamber in Parliament. As Trudeau failed to win any seats in western Canada, in order to give that region representation he can appoint a member of the Senate from a western province to his Cabinet. His predecessor Harper I believe did something similar or at least toyed with the idea.  

Knight of Cydonia
14 hours ago, ben8884 said:

Trudeau failed to win any seats in western Canada

He won several seats in BC - just not Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Alberta and Saskatchewan are always very, very conservative. In 2008 and 2011, both provinces were entirely conservative except for 1 riding each for the Liberals and NDP. In 2015, the liberals did win 4 ridings in Albera (and 1 in Saskatchewan), but those were their first seats in Alberta since 2004 and it was considered out of the ordinary. It's always been hard for other parties to win them over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, Knight of Cydonia said:

Very similar to  the Green Party in the US.  Jill Stein, although a physican, was anti-science.  

On 10/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, ben8884 said:

For anyone not in Canada wondering-the Senate is an un-elected chamber in Parliament. As Trudeau failed to win any seats in western Canada, in order to give that region representation he can appoint a member of the Senate from a western province to his Cabinet. His predecessor Harper I believe did something similar or at least toyed with the idea.  

That's interesting. The Senate is the equivalent of the House of Lords in the UK. In the UK it would be strictly forbidden for a Lord to enter the House of Commons. (In the past, some heridetary peers such as Tony Benn won the right to renounce their peerage so they can sit in the Commons.) But then the Senate isn't the House of Lords really (though it's apparently modelled after it) so I guess this isn't an issue.

• 5 months later...

I gotta say, props to Ontario Premier Doug Ford, he is handling the situation well, his press conferences make me feel calmer. I still say hes a crap Premier but he is handling this situation well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on the gun ban? I am for it personally. I don't see why civilians need ARs and I am glad they are banning not just the rifle but 1500 variations. That said we need to do more to tackle street gangs, hand gun violence and smuggled guns. 

• 3 weeks later...
Crazy Cat Lady
On 5/3/2020 at 7:49 AM, ben8884 said:

Any opinions on the gun ban? I am for it personally. I don't see why civilians need ARs and I am glad they are banning not just the rifle but 1500 variations. That said we need to do more to tackle street gangs, hand gun violence and smuggled guns. 

I agree with it, as well. There is no need for regular people to have those kinds of guns.

It may have been designed for civilians but there is still no need for them in my opinion

see its one of these things, I wish we didn't need gun control but sadly, I think we do. There are other better ways to achieve the same ends without these guns they are not needed and now they are causing harm in Canada so they have to go. 

Alcohol is regulated, cars are regulated guns are regulated it sounds fair to me. And actually I favour a handgun ban more than the A15 rifle but its a good start in my opinion.  

thats a fair point but its being used recklessly. I personally dislike guns so you may be talking to the wrong person but I am glad tyhis weapon won't be on the streets. 

this is true for anything. I know that Trudeau is banning its variants. Personally though banning is kinda only a small part, we also need to work on smuggled guns, mental health, more Police and fighting gangs I hope those do not get forgotten about. 

Skycaptain

A thought. In a "one person's utopia" situation, all private guns are banned, and there's 100% compliance. A wild animal (even say, a rabid dog) makes an attack on someone. They now have no means of defending themselves. What uproar would there be then? 

Archived