I made a chart explaining the major orientations! Thoughts?

LayneR

Hmm, cool concept 👍 It could use some colour perhaps? 

I'm not sure about greysexual being on the same subdivision as sex-positive/neutral/repulsed though. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the former is an orientation, whilst the latter three are attitudes toward sex. You could be simultaneously greysexual and sex-positive for example. Plus, sex-positivity/-negativity aren't exclusively ace concepts.

In my opinion, greysexual should be with things like demisexual, lithsexual etc. 

Having it go sideways Makes it a little confusing, and having 'human' and the orientations in the same line makes it hard to tell where to start at first glance. I feel like this might work better working down from 'Human'. 

As a personal nitpick, the word 'allosexual' bothers me, and a bunch of other people, often due to the etymology. 'Allo' means 'other, different', and that means that its only use is in relation to something that its 'different' to, which means that 'allosexual' would be subjective to whoever was talking. An asexual is 'allo' to a pansexual, pan is 'allo' to homosexual, and so on. Another issue is that it's adding an utterly unnecessary prefix...the route word is sexual. The 'A' prefix means 'without, non', homo means same, hetero means opposite, pan means all. Without sex, same sex, opposite sex, all sex. Sexual is the root of all of these, it's the term most people will understand as meaning what you're trying to mean there. Every person I've ever asked who considers themself to have a desire for sex has not had any issues with the word 'sexual', it doesn't seem to have any negative connotations, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid it, and it will just confuse the very people this graphic is made to inform.

everywhere and nowhere

If I'm right about what is meant as "heterogender", there's no such word anyway. The word for someone who isn't trans is "cisgender".

I prefer viewing "sex-positive" and "sex-neutral" as political stances about sex. Better words for stances about personally having sex are "sex-favourable" and "sex-indifferent" (plus, of course, repulsed or averse - I'm sex-averse myself, or repulsed by the idea of personally having sex and indifferent to sex not involving myself). I consider these distinctions important - without them it's hard to express how is it possible to be sex-repulsed and sex-positive at the same time, and there are such aces...

Quite interesting. :cake: 

Generally, we use the terms gender identity rather than gender orientation, and cisgender rather than heterogender, but good work.

I'd be curious as to where demisexuals fall on this flow chart. Otherwise it's pretty good.

I've always seen it more of a multi-dimensional space with various regions labeled with identified - but I'm damned if I can think of any possible way to display that.   

Not sure why sex positivity/negativity/neutrality would belong there...

ButterflyBlues
3 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

I'm not sure about greysexual being on the same subdivision as sex-positive/neutral/repulsed though. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the former is an orientation, whilst the latter three are attitudes toward sex. You could be simultaneously greysexual and sex-positive for example. Plus, sex-positivity/-negativity aren't exclusively ace concepts.

From what I can understand, I didn't make this so I might be wrong, the greysexual is a subdivision as asexual. You can see it's not connected with sex-positive/neutral/repulsed.

Just Somebody

I'll give my suggestions:

1 - I don't think you should mix orientations and gender identities in the first place.

2 - genderfluid and agender are umbrella terms under the non-binary umbrella (that also covers heterogender and a lot more)  that's also an term under the Transgender umbrella that comes under the gender non-conforming  (gnc) umbrella. 

3 - about the gra(e)y-(a)sexual, it's an umbrella term for too many identities I can't even name them all, and is in BTW asexualities and (allo)-sexualities 

4- biromantic and panromantic should be under the multi/poly/ambi-romantic umbrella , that also has a ton of orientations under it among these 2 , among bisexual and pansexual the same applies. 

5 - AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, the diagram gets extremely complicated because, where could we place (example:) an gra(e)y-demi-amicus-ambi-romantic gr(a)ey-fray-lamvano-homo-sexual  ? 

Human orientations and genders just like feelings and personalities are too complicated to be put in exact diagrams.

7 hours ago, ButterflyBlues said:

From what I can understand, I didn't make this so I might be wrong, the greysexual is a subdivision as asexual. You can see it's not connected with sex-positive/neutral/repulsed.

Ahh, okay. I can see that 😊 But, looking at it as a mirror to the allosexual side, which has bi-/homo-/hetero-/pansexual on the same branch, it looks like you'd have to choose between one of the four if that makes sense? It also gives them equal importance and, to me at least, implies they're of similar meaning. Maybe that's just me though 😊

Looks good. Agree with some of the comments above, but great start. It took me 10+ secs to spot “Human”; maybe highlight it so people know to start there? (I started in the top left hand corner and got quite confused!)

I don't get why people use the term "allosexual" Why not call it just..... "sexual"? How is allosexual different from sexual? Why do you need another label for sexual people?

1 hour ago, Chihiro said:

How is allosexual different from sexual? Why do you need another label for sexual people?

It isn't and we don't. It's far from being the biggest of my pet peeves regarding unnecessary terminology on AVEN, but it's a word that isn't particularly necessary.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:34 AM, Ceebs. said:

It isn't and we don't. It's far from being the biggest of my pet peeves regarding unnecessary terminology on AVEN, but it's a word that isn't particularly necessary.

like "cis___" ?  - and I even identify as such - and I've never fully accepted the term "allo", either.

Archived