Little Mentions 2019

Scott1989

Mod note: This thread is split from the 2018 thread and is for any ace related stories that might not deserve their own thread.  -- Philguin Baggins, World Watch Moderator

Ok, so I just discovered this today, in 2019, but it came from a podcast released back in March 2018, and there is no "Little Mentions 2019" so...

I was listening to a podcast I just discovered called Film Reroll, where they take a movie, turn it into a tabletop RPG, with just the start being the same, and as soon as a player needs to make a decision, things can turn out differently.

Today I was listening to Episode 1 of their Rouge 1 playthrough (contains some spoilers of the actual movie, https://www.filmreroll.com/?p=172) and they mention asexuality (initially they made a joke about asexual reproduction as part of a side joke but later on it's better). As spoiler free as I can try to be, they end up starting to try and guess who in the Star Wars universe is asexual, and it gets pointed out that asexual doesn't mean aromantic so they go through the list as again. It was more of a joke reference but still respecting aces (and aros) and a cool wee shout out. If you just want to hear the proper stuff about aces and aros, jump to 01:08:10 (though I do recommend the podcast in general so maybe hear it all out).

Edited by Philguin Baggins
Added mod note
  • Like 1

this short story makes a few mentions of asexual, although while the marriage between the couple is non-sexual, neither are asexual (warning: some content that readers may find uncomfortable.

a clean marraige by sayaka murata, translated by giny takley takemori

https://granta.com/a-clean-marriage/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Metroactive Generation Q

Kids these days are constantly on their phones... and more educated
about sex, consent and gender fluidity than ever before

Asexuality is talked about, as well as other sexual orientations and gender stuff

film-news.co.uk BFI announces BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival programme

Money quote:

Michael Blyth, BFI Flare’s Senior Programmer says: “At the heart of BFI Flare is a commitment to telling as wide a range of stories as possible, stories which speak to all members of the LGBTQ+ community. One of the many things which makes this year’s programme so exciting, and so vital, is an increased number of films addressing subjects so often overlooked in cinema – such as bisexuality, asexuality or intersex representation – making the 2019 edition one of our most diverse and inclusive yet.”

Side note: The Festival will take place from March 21 to March 31. The link above contains loads of information about the programme, ticket sales and whatnot.

• 1 month later...

Iowa State Daily - The Talk: Exploring the different sexual orientations

Asexuality is one of the less-heard of sexual orientations and the smallest group within the LGBTQIA+ community, with the CDC finding in 2014 about one percent of the population identified as asexual.

That's all of it though; if you're not interested in reading about what they write about other orientations, you can spare yourself the click :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Progressive Palaeontology Conference 2019 in Birmingham, UK, will have LGBTQ+ trilobite (queerlobite!) badges available. One of them is an asexual flag design.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In the TV sitcom brockmire (in my opinion, funniest thing hank azaria has done in nearly 20 years), the sister of the main character made a reference to her husband being him being asexual in the opening scenes of episode 4 of the third season

"Norm honey, I'm a lesbian and you're what they call asexual"

Warning for any one looking to watch the start for it, the opening scenes is very sexual

Spoiler tags cause it's involving a beer brand (who does ask not to share with under 18 year olds)

Spoiler

So Budweiser recently announced some Pride stuff fore London Pride, including:

And also eagle eye'd viewers will see here, near the bottom!

https://budpride.co.uk/

• Like 1
WinterWanderer

Just wanted to let you all know that yesterday, asexuality was mentioned and defined as part of a presentation on LGBT+ issues, at the Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) conference, in Raleigh, NC. The CSTE conference is an event where hundreds of public health professionals from across the country, especially epidemiologists, gather to discuss health issues and trends. The speaker was a transwoman and medical doctor, who went on to highlight specific challenges faced by LGBT+ populations in medical settings.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, Rosendust said:

:rolleyes:

On 6/1/2019 at 12:02 PM, iff said:

In the TV sitcom brockmire (in my opinion, funniest thing hank azaria has done in nearly 20 years), the sister of the main character made a reference to her husband being him being asexual in the opening scenes of episode 4 of the third season

"Norm honey, I'm a lesbian and you're what they call asexual"

Warning for any one looking to watch the start for it, the opening scenes is very sexual

Link is here

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

@Homer The link goes to an article about skin products.

Ah, so they ended up changing it :D when I added the article, it had a skin-care-thingamabob-related URL, but still referred to the LGBT+ article.

Looks like the LGBT one is gone.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sent to me via PM. Credit to @Auld_Mulk for finding this.

"I found an unexpected reference to asexuality in a Youtube video presented by Overly Sarcastic Productions uploaded June 28th 2019.  

The video addresses the trope of Robots in literature, film and other story-based media.  The interesting and relevant to AVEN discussion happens around 12:20 into the video.  The lead up Red, the narrator, talks about how to write a believable AI amounts to taking "a garden-variety human, strip away some characteristics to make them seem like an incomplete human and slap on some blinky LEDs".  She points to the commonly 'removed bits' tend to characterize neurodivergent aromantic asexual humans or even people on the autism spectrum.  Her presentation here highlights the fact that generally this isn't really cool because we aces/aros/autistic are not well represented as normal people.  Red takes this right up to the edge of rant without falling in."

Trope Talk: Robots by Overly Sarcastic Productions

HistoricallyMinded

I’m an avid fan of Overly Sarcastic Productions, and Red is herself ace. This is something she only briefly alludes to in OSP videos, but she has previously spoken much more candidly about her personal experience of being ace on the channel’s Twitter account in a way I have really related to. For anyone who enjoys their videos (and championing ace creativity on visible platforms like YouTube and Twitter), I would full-heartedly recommend following them. Her creative partner on the channel, Blue, is also an ace ally, which is lovely to see. 

• Like 1

The National mentions the AVEN based group marching yesterday at Mardi Gla pride march in Glasgow  (no pictures):

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17784296.sunshine-rainbows-thousands-march-glasgow-mardi-gla-pride/

(@nameinagame is responsible for organising the group registration for the march so credit to him for his part in originating it and the banner that we had for it)

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
CelesteAdAstra

Youtuber Jessica Kellgren-Fozard made a video about stupid comments LGBT+ people get, and there are examples for asexuality.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
AceOfManyYears

Jessica  Kellgren-Fozzard has a very funny video on “What NOT to Say to an LGBTQ+ Person” and she includes aces in her examples. There are so many comments from aces saying, “Thank you!!!”

By the way, she plays all of the roles in the video. 

https://youtu.be/QtJji-T9BWs

• Like 1

So real small mention. Youtuber JoCat doing a nuzlock run of Pokemon Platinum at 1 point has a discussion of weapon proficiency of people based on sexual orientations, after a small joke. Skip to 7:50 for the discussion.