What would you like to see from ace vis/ed?

Slice of Ace

Hello!

From what I can tell, asexuality has been gaining traction as a legitimate orientation in the last few years, with coverage on non-LGBT news sites such as the BBC, and ace characters popping up in media. In my opinion, it is therefore imperative that we quell any misconceptions and present a clear message of asexuality and the asexual community. 

That being said, I want to know what you all think is the most important message to convey. Should we be telling the stories of people in the asexual community? Should we present the facts of asexuality to educate people? Should we concentrate on dispelling misconceptions? Or something else entirely?

I'd like to help contribute to asexual visibility and education through my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/c/SliceOfAce). I have plenty of video ideas, but it would be great to know what you think is important, so I can prioritise the stuff people would find worthwhile and would like to watch 😊

honestly, i'd like more people to learn about asexuality before anything else.

if i have to hear one more person go "oH, sO tHeRe'S sOmEtHiNg wRoNg wItH yOuR sEx dRivE?" i'm gonna murder someone.

personal stories also make for interesting topics, imo

One thing I think you should do is point out that "asexual" does not always mean "completely blind to sex and/or love". That was kind of what threw me when I was learning about asexuality, as I thought that the fact that I wasn't desperate to actually have sex was about the only thing that qualified me.

(Notice I'm not saying that it would disqualify me.)

It also strikes me as a misconception that might come right after the usual "they don't exist" or "they're just messed up", so there's that.

The biggest problem for us, is that society has ways to control the population, and govs see it a certain way. They use sex to control society, so they judge society should be having sex.

The hardest part, was to get past the "it does not exist thing"

Maybe, at least today, gov will accept there are people whom are really asexual. Just because govs want to use sex to control people, how do they deal with a minority whom do not have any interest in having sex.

At least maybe today with boards like this, govs, may accept, there are those whom are asexual. Govs until now, have not accepted there are people whom are not sexual in nature.

At least its a start.

I appreciate that govs have to have ways to control society. I just want them to accept, that there are at least people whom have no interest in sex, and i want them to reconsider, how they just blanket those people, as anti social, or something.

I'd like asexuality and aromanticism to be more well known to the general public.

I'd like asexuality (and more LGBTQ stuff in general) to be taught in sex education. I want young adults to be taught that it's okay to have sex if it's safe and consensual, but it's also okay to not want sex, and you shouldn't be ashamed either way.

I'd like people to know that asexual and aromantic people aren't cold and heartless.

I'd like people to understand that many asexuals still have romantic relationships.

And that many aromantic people still have sexual attraction.

I'd like the general population and alloromantic asexuals both to know that aromantic asexuals are loving and caring too.

I'd like people to understand that we're not broken and our sexuality wasn't caused by trauma or abuse.

I'd like there to be research into the biological components of asexuality like there are for gay, bi and trans identities.

I want ace and aro people to know that they aren't broken and alone.

knittinghistorian

I feel like dispelling misconceptions (we don't really exist, we're cold and heartless, we're incapable of love, we're prudes, there's something wrong with us, we're naive and innocent, we think sex is wrong and hate people who have it, etc. etc. etc.) might be the first step.  Once that's done, we can move forward with some hope of getting somewhere.

Facts are awesome. I support facts!

RoseGoesToYale

Being able to tell people "Hey, I'm asexual." and not have to repeat myself 10 times much to their confusion.

I find that aromantics (and especially sexual aromantics) haven't received that much representation, with comparably limited media coverage, and no academic attention to date. So it might be worth having a segment or two devoted to highlighting those stories.

Thanks guys! 😊

It seems like the general consensus is that misconceptions need to be tackled. I was thinking of doing a new video about that (the last one I did was just a bit of fun). Maybe I'll go through a few at a time, and tackle why they're wrong. Putting all the misconceptions in one video might be a bit much, especially if I want to talk about them properly. Ooh, maybe that can be my next video series! (I did one on Asexual Relationships last year)

14 hours ago, Pramana said:

I find that aromantics (and especially sexual aromantics) haven't received that much representation, with comparably limited media coverage, and no academic attention to date.

The reason I've strayed away from talking about aromanticism much is because I'm not aromantic myself. I'm going to try to get an aromantic person on to talk about it in the future though. I definitely agree that it's important 

As for more general public awareness, I can't promise anything unfortunately. My channel's really small, and I get nervous about advertising it because I don't want to spam 😝 Feel free to share it if you think it's good and want to get info on asexuality out there

5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

As for more general public awareness, I can't promise anything unfortunately. My channel's really small, and I get nervous about advertising it because I don't want to spam 😝 Feel free to share it if you think it's good and want to get info on asexuality out there

With YouTube I'd imagine that most of the people searching for asexuality channels probably already have some personal connection to the topic. Perhaps something to consider would be avenues for reaching a broader audience. Afraid I don't have any ideas though.

21 minutes ago, Pramana said:

With YouTube I'd imagine that most of the people searching for asexuality channels probably already have some personal connection to the topic. Perhaps something to consider would be avenues for reaching a broader audience. Afraid I don't have any ideas though.

Yep, that is the problem. The only way you'd find it is if you were searching for asexuality in the first place

ButterflyBlues

I always hate when I come out to someone and they ask how I knew I was ace if I hadn't had sex and I'm like "You don't have to have sex to know you're ace??" so maybe you could say something about that to spread awareness, idk.

7 hours ago, ButterflyBlues said:

I always hate when I come out to someone and they ask how I knew I was ace if I hadn't had sex and I'm like "You don't have to have sex to know you're ace??" so maybe you could say something about that to spread awareness, idk.

I've got a video planned on that. I'll move it up the schedule 😊

Archived