Online love

James121

27 minutes ago, MiseryInvictus said:

@Ficto. that is frightening! It would seem that they knew how to break into your OK Cupid account. But I'm pretty technologically incompetent so its just a guess.

I have now deleted the Cupid account (after months of writing my profile, it was a masterpiece! Y_Y) and I shan't be making another one, haha. Threats like that just aren't worth it!!

9 hours ago, Ceebs. said:

Aww, that made me really happy to read, @Chimeric. :D In part because many aspects remind me of how my own relationship began. I wouldn't have ever met the love of my life and my favourite human being in the universe if it weren't for the bloody internet -- and AVEN specifically, even though neither of us is asexual, haha (I once wondered if I might be though, hence my 15-year, undoubtedly sometimes annoying presence round here). And yeah, what you said... it's worth it. All so very worth it.

I wish all the best for the both of you in the future. :) 

You met your SO on AVEN? :o

That is creepy, ficto. Sorry to hear that but I too would be freaked out about it.

39 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

I have now deleted the Cupid account (after months of writing my profile, it was a masterpiece! Y_Y) and I shan't be making another one, haha. Threats like that just aren't worth it!!

Did you use any common photos across the two accounts?  Image search is a not-rare way people creep on others from platform to platform...

52 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

Yep, we've got a bit of a... story. Quite a bit of a story, haha. I still feel weird being open, but I've been told it's alright to do so. 😬 And if you creep round the entirety of the forums enough it's dead bloody obvious anyway. :lol: But yeah. Thanks to AVEN, I happened to meet my favourite human. Aka, Skullz. 

(Who is not around at the moment... asleep, I believe... and 100% not allowed to kill me for posting this! :D)

Oooh. Makes sense. You two always got along well. 😛

you two planning to make it in person primary then since its OK to be open ? :o

Joe the Stoic

I disliked Skulls at first and had her blocked.  Then she and I somehow found common understanding.

Interesting stories here.

1 hour ago, Serran said:

Oooh. Makes sense. You two always got along well. 😛

you two planning to make it in person primary then since its OK to be open ? :o

I will send you an email, my friend... lots to catch you up on. 

50 minutes ago, Skullery Maid said:

I will send you an email, my friend... lots to catch you up on. 

Haha ok, ty :D I have missed loads !

2 hours ago, Ceebs. said:

It'll be a... long road to something, hopefully? We both have life shit to sort out. One day at a time.

I was not always the biggest Skullery fan back in the very early days. :lol: She scared the crap outta me on occasion. S'okay though, I can be a very terrifying human myself. And hey, it makes for an interesting story.

My wife found me scary at first on here too. 😛

6 hours ago, Ficto. said:

I'm just trying to say that while being fucked over online does indeed suck so bad (and that's horrible that happened to you and I feel so sorry for the effects it had on you, that's awful... and I'm slightly scared it may have been the same person but almost certainly not) 😕 I want to say for others reading who might be thinking 'see!! That's exactly why you should avoid online relationships!'

that it happens just as easily in meat life too, and the effects can actually cause physical harm when you get STIs etc as a result of the cheating :c

Umm dunno. I just know my ex talked to many people here on AVEN and they are popular and have many "fans" here. They definitely propositioned someone from here, who is no longer active here (and told that person they have other crushes too). I didn't ask any details about who else they pursued because I was already upset and was feeling like dying. But I won't be surprised if they have contacted many females on this forum, and they are most likely still looking for dating opportunities here. They are very nice as a friend so I can see people falling for them unfortunately.

"happens just as easily in meat life too" Yup! Despite my experience I still prefer online friendships.

2 hours ago, Vincent Van Schmo said:

I disliked Skulls at first and had her blocked.  Then she and I somehow found common understanding.

Interesting stories here.

Yeah I'm not sure if @Skullery Maid remembers but her and I had some massive fights before we got used to each other.. oh man I thought some days if we were in the same room we'd have gotten into actual fist fights :P now she's one of my favourite AVENites haha!! 

Spoiler

Oh by the way I'm going to get back to you re. That other thing. Just need some actual time to sit down at my computer as I hate doing emails on my phone. :)

14 minutes ago, Chihiro said:
Spoiler

Umm dunno. I just know my ex talked to many people here on AVEN and they are popular and have many "fans" here. They definitely propositioned someone from here, who is no longer active here (and told that person they have other crushes too). I didn't ask any details about who else they pursued because I was already upset and was feeling like dying. But I won't be surprised if they have contacted many females on this forum, and they are most likely still looking for dating opportunities here. They are very nice as a friend so I can see people falling for them unfortunately.

Spoiler

Urgh I really hope it's not the same person,I don't think it is though. Mine hasn't been on in about a month or so and was more popular in chat than on the forums (though yes, made a lot of friends very easily). Normally I wouldn't even say this much but he's cruelly screwed me over after 5 years of friendship and after ...welll, so much. So I'm not feeling that tight lipped right now, just very angry at his callousness and manipulation. All I can do is hope it's not the same person because that would just be weird and messy Y_Y

4 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

Yeah I'm not sure if @Skullery Maid remembers but her and I had some massive fights before we got used to each other.. oh man I thought some days if we were in the same room we'd have gotten into actual fist fights :P now she's one of my favourite AVENites haha!! 

Reveal hidden contents

Oh by the way I'm going to get back to you re. That other thing. Just need some actual time to sit down at my computer as I hate doing emails on my phone. :)

Actually, I don't! I'm surprised we would have brawled. 

Lol this is a common theme in my life though, where someone's like "I really didn't like you, we fought a lot" and I'm like "I thought we were having fun!" 😂

1 minute ago, Skullery Maid said:

Actually, I don't! I'm surprised we would have brawled. 

Ahaha yeah you told me to learn to comprehend English!!! And I was saying that you're the one who can't comprehend English, and we had a very long very mean-spirited argument about what bigoted means :P That's the first time we interacted with each other. And we fought a lot for some time after that until I worked out you were actually quite cool and we didn't fight anymore after that which is good because you're really scary when you're angry haha!! The few times I see you mad at someone nowadays I'm like 'thank God that's not me anymore!' :P

5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Did you use any common photos across the two accounts?  Image search is a not-rare way people creep on others from platform to platform...

No that's what's so weird about it. He actually told me 'i mirror searched your photo which led me to your articles which let me to your Facebook'. BUT I've only ever used one image professionally for my writing which I've never used on Cupid or Facebook, and neither that picture nor any of my Cupid pictures are on Facebook,AND I use a completely different name for my articles than I do on Facebook ...so.. you just can't connect them.

I think Cupid has security issues because once they messaged me (like the website itself messaged me asking to help moderate) and the email said 'Hi Ficto' 😧 but AVEN is the only place I have EVER used that name, and the email address I use for AVEN is completely different than my Cupid one (which are both different from my Facebook email address).. and I've never mentioned AVEN in my profile or to anyone on Cupid. So how did they know one of the names I use online (only on AVEN) is Ficto??? 

So yep,my Cupid profile is now deleted. I don't have time for these kinds of concerns!

1 hour ago, Serran said:

Haha ok, ty :D I have missed loads !

My wife found me scary at first on here too. 😛

Haha, maybe some of the best pairs of friends/partners etc. have that happen? One of my best friends thought I was scary and hated her when we first met. xD

14 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

Ahaha yeah you told me to learn to comprehend English!!! And I was saying that you're the one who can't comprehend English, and we had a very long very mean-spirited argument about what bigoted means :P That's the first time we interacted with each other. And we fought a lot for some time after that until I worked out you were actually quite cool and we didn't fight anymore after that which is good because you're really scary when you're angry haha!! The few times I see you mad at someone nowadays I'm like 'thank God that's not me anymore!' :P

Oh man I'm sorry! I'm a nightmare. 😂 I'm very glad we became friends though, you're one of the best and good lord aven is lucky to have you.

I wish I could say I am happily single and drama free, but only the first part is true. I am dealing with self drama, thanks to my body. Love-hate relationship with self sucks too! -_-

Too bad I can't online relationship with my body :lol:

8 hours ago, Ficto. said:

Aaaand speaking of scary online stuff, I just got a message to my private Facebook account from someone who says they found me through OkCupid. But... I don't use my own name on Cupid (obviously) and my FB is set to completely private so no one can browse through my pics or anything to try to ascertain who I am. Are there any tech-savvy people who know how this person might have done this??? I'm kind of freaked out because I'm the only person in the whole world with my real name (hence why I don't use it on Cupid) and that would make me quite easy to find in real life if someone decided they wanted to come over here and stalk me 😕 How they fuck did this guy find me through OkCupid???? 

One of my pals, Micheal, was into computers a bit. Apparently a lot of information can be garnered simply by email accounts. I think I set foot on facebook once a decade back, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you need an email account to sign up correct?

And no doubt it's the same with ok-cupid. Anybody who knew a little bit of computer fuckery could potentially get your email from OC and do some digging through links. But then again, Facebook is a tad more protective of its data than a dating site. There's also a slim chance it could be a bot. Those fuckers know how to dig through data.

I hope that's not alarming either. The only test would be to see if your email gets pinged at some point. If that happens, then somebody knows your email for certain and if they wanted to they could probably backtrack you to any site you've visited. Again, that's rather alarming, and I hope that it doesn't cause undue alarm. All you can do is wait and see.

As somebody else suggested, reverse image searching could have also been the culprit. No such thing as a perfect defense. There's holes in security anywhere.

14 hours ago, Ceebs. said:

Yep, we've got a bit of a... story. Quite a bit of a story, haha. I still feel weird being open, but I've been told it's alright to do so. 😬 And if you creep round the entirety of the forums enough it's dead bloody obvious anyway. :lol: But yeah. Thanks to AVEN, I happened to meet my favourite human. Aka, Skullz. 

(Who is not around at the moment... asleep, I believe... and 100% not allowed to kill me for posting this! :D)

Wait, was this not already out in the open? =O Gosh I just assumed, thank goodness I didn't put my foot all the way in it!!

Happy for you both. 😃

Well, I didn't know. I don't traverse so much, nor have I been present quite so long.

I think there is something about meeting someone within an online community - rather than through the intentional approach of online dating - then coming to be together "in person" - that is particularly special. I may be biased. :)

Joe the Stoic
4 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

A little off-topic, but I really don't undestand the blocking feature on here... however I think that may speak to my own self-control (or lack thereof) more than anything. When you block someone, they still see everything of yours and you still see that they posted something and have the option of clicking to reveal it. That would be guaranteed useless for me 100% of the time hahaha, I'd be like, "Ok, what is this stupid fucker saying now?" and unhide it. Temptation will always get the better of me in any situation, for better or worse. :lol: 

I don't have that problem, mainly because I would assume they have nothing useful for me to read.

Plus, with new AVEN and the dark theme, it's harder to see that prompt.

7 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

That would be guaranteed useless for me 100% of the time hahaha,

Same, it would actually make me aware of (and therefore tempted by) posts I would probably never see otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

I don't know how to advertise myself as something of potential interest to someone. 

Smart, beautiful, sassy crazyperson seemed to work on me. :wub:

Joe the Stoic
14 minutes ago, Skullery Maid said:

Also same, I always open them anyway. 

And if you block me, you're missing out on some major pearls of wisdom. 😎

I think I broke protocol and read some of your posts because there was a larger discussion in Site Comments about something important and fairly impersonal, and then I saw good guy Skulls.

14 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

I feel like this works really really well with the fact that you're the dude who threw out his bottle of vanilla extract once he discovered it contained alcohol. :D 

I probably have the personality type for this kind of thing.  In elementary school, there was a school counselor who would visit all the classes from third to fifth grade and teach us some morality lesson once per month.  At the end, she had a candy bar game, where whoever guesses what kind of candy bar she had hidden in a bag would get the candy bar.  Most kids tried to read her mind and think what the logical choice would be for that instance (one time it was a Pay Day because she visited us on her pay day).  I didn't do that.  I saw that I had three years, so I just consistently guessed my favorite candy bar, Butterfinger, assuming that eventually I would get it and did not need to win every time.  Toward the end of fourth grade, this strategy worked.

BUT THEN someone else had guessed Butterfinger that day, so she had to decide how to to hand out the prize.  She said we could split it or do a coin flip.  I opted to split it.  The other guy wanted it all for himself.  In a move uncharacteristic of any school counselor I've ever heard of, she went against the sharing solution and solved it with a coin flip, which he won...

But in essence, all of these thought processes have a pretty fill-in-the-blank approach to them: The best way to ensure X is to Y.

• The best way to ensure that I avoid conflict with an AVENite is to block them and then not click the prompt.
  • The best way to ensure that I will win a Butterfinger is to guess it every time.
  • The best way to ensure that I will eat that Butterfinger is not to risk losing all of it in a coin flip.

I guess that's just how I work.

Joe the Stoic
1 minute ago, Ceebs. said:

Joe you're ruining the atmosphere, we're supposed to be gushing about love here. 😂

There is no love in my life, only a winding road of low risk but likely and steady rewards.

Archived