Impartiality

James121

I think anyone of any orientation is capable of being a competent moderator if they're mature.

What do you anticipate the difference being? Are you looking for an underlying consistent bias towards whatever sexual members say? Because I'm sexual and if I modded this forum, I'd be attempting to treat everyone fairly and logically.

If this is a reaction to your thread that finally got locked yesterday, I'll remind you that a decent number of us who were not in agreement with your positions and behaviour are sexual. 

10 minutes ago, Ceebs. said:

I think anyone of any orientation is capable of being a competent moderator if they're mature.

What do you anticipate the difference being? Are you looking for an underlying consistent bias towards whatever sexual members say? Because I'm sexual and if I modded this forum, I'd be attempting to treat everyone fairly and logically.

If this is a reaction to your thread that finally got locked yesterday, I'll remind you that a decent number of us who were not in agreement with your positions and behaviour are sexual. 

Oh no it’s not a reaction to the thread getting locked at all. I knew it would the second people started throwing personal insults about the potential size of my.....(fill in blank) and my employment status.

I just think it would be a great demonstration of being truly inclusive.

I could easily be a moderator here if I wanted, any sexual person without an active warn can be a moderator (edit: if members vote them in of course)

Would that change things more to your liking, do you think? 

I thought there already were such mods? Unless they have since left.

Just now, Tercy said:

I thought there already were such mods? Unless they have since left.

Yeah Serran was modding for a while (I can't remember if she is still a mod or not??) and she is not ace. :) 

@Lady Girl is an admin and she is a sexual partner of an ace (she's been married to her partner for decades from what I remember)

So there you have it @James121, I hope that satisfies your curiosity. 

2 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

I could easily be a moderator here if I wanted, any sexual person without an active warn can be a moderator (edit: if members vote them in of course)

Would that change things more to your liking, do you think? 

I’d love to see a sexual mod. I think it would be great. I suppose it would be to my liking then!

8 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

I could easily be a moderator here if I wanted

You're that confident you could secure the votes, eh? ;)

4 minutes ago, Tercy said:

How many people are on Aven and how many get to vote?

1 minute ago, Tercy said:

Hah I meant if the membership voted me in, but the fact is there really isn't much competition these days for certain positions, and as long as you're dedicated to answering everyone's questions and can prove you have the time to dedicate yourself to your role there's a very high chance one can get voted in, especially for modding roles in for example sex talk or sexual partners (because a sexual person is far more likely to be chosen for those positions and very, very few sexual people ever run for mod). So yeah, for those reasons if I wanted to I'm almost certain I could get in, AVEN isn't going to be biased against me just because I don't ID as ace.  Plus I've been around for long enough that many people know me and appreciate a lot of what it is I have to say. Sure there are members who hate me, but I also get many PMs from people thanking me for saying this or that so I do know a lot of people here like me enough to consider me as a mod if I wanted to run. *shrug*

1 minute ago, James121 said:

How many people are on Aven and how many get to vote?

They run modding campaigns (there is one running for the hot box at the moment). Once a few people are running for a certain mod position, members can ask them questions and run them through a bit of a gauntlet to see who they want to vote for, then they vote for whichever person they like and trust the most (and think would be best for the specific job) out of the people who are running. 

5 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

They run modding campaigns (there is one running for the hot box at the moment). Once a few people are running for a certain mod position, members can ask them questions and run them through a bit of a gauntlet to see who they want to vote for, then they vote for whichever person they like and trust the most (and think would be best for the specific job) out of the people who are running. 

Do you have to come on aven every day? Do you think I would have a chance if I ran?

2 minutes ago, James121 said:

Do you have to come on aven every day? Do you think I would have a chance if I ran?

1 - You're expected to, more or less. And should be letting the rest of the admod team know if you're going to be away for a bit.

2 - Probably not.

Just now, Ceebs. said:

1 - You're expected to, more or less. And should be letting the rest of the admod team know if you're going to be away for a bit.

2 - Probably not.

1) thanks

2) I cant think why

One of the main tenets of AVEN is that people don't have to declare anything about their sexuality. It is up to the individual if they wish to do so. Likewise gender, romantic orientation and anything else. 

Also all moderators are expected to be impartial in all backroom activities. 

1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

Also all moderators are expected to be impartial in all backroom activities. 

That must be very hard!

Winged Whisperer

11 minutes ago, James121 said:

2) I cant think why 

You sure seem like you have a narcissistic streak.

BTW this is both an answer to your question and an observation of how utterly oblivious you are that you don't see any reason for why you couldn't mod.

8 minutes ago, James121 said:

2) I cant think why

You need to be very understanding and accepting of asexuality and ace issues, regardless of which subforum you run for or what orientation you identify with (if any). You have shown a reluctance to understand the ace experience, and have actually continuously denied the experiences of aces and non-typical sexual folks like myself, @Serran, and @Ceebs. on this forum. Hence why you probably wouldn't be able to get into a mod position. There are a certain criteria one needs to meet, especially when it comes to asexual issues, and you have proven yourself time and time again to not meet that criteria. 

1 minute ago, Ficto. said:

You need to be very understanding and accepting of asexuality and ace issues, regardless of which subforum you run for or what orientation you identify with (if any). You have shown a reluctance to understand the ace experience, and have actually continuously denied the experiences of aces and non-typical sexual folks like myself, @Serran, and @Ceebs. on this forum. Hence why you probably wouldn't be able to get into a mod position. There are a certain criteria one needs to meet, especially when it comes to asexual issues, and you have proven yourself time and time again to not meet that criteria. 

That’s not fair. I said I wasn’t a believer in a blanket excuse and I did not single out anyone and claim they were lying. I was labelled as someone calling others liars by virtue of my general opinion.

A bit like if you don’t believe in Jesus and that he died on the cross to redeem us of all our sins, Christians can’t claim you are calling them liars.

5 minutes ago, Winged Whisperer said:

You sure seem like you have a narcissistic streak.

BTW this is both an answer to your question and an observation of how utterly oblivious you are that you don't see any reason for why you couldn't mod.

Again slightly unfair but your opinion. Equally I would say that your narcissistic traits are beyond a ‘streak’.

7 minutes ago, James121 said:

That’s not fair. I said I wasn’t a believer in a blanket excuse and I did not single out anyone and claim they were lying. I was labelled as someone calling others liars by virtue of my general opinion.

A bit like if you don’t believe in Jesus and that he died on the cross to redeem us of all our sins, Christians can’t claim you are calling them liars.

I didn't accuse you of that, I said you have shown a reluctance to understand asexual issues which is a completely different thing. 

Whether or not Jesus died on a cross to redeem us of all or sins is literally a matter of opinion (regardless of how vehemently some believe it to be true), but when someone (or actually a whole group of people) are trying to explain their actual lived experience to you, which you then continue to deny and instead make blanket negative judgements about all those people, that's when you're displaying a total unwillingness to understand or empathize with said group of people. As this website is dedicated TO understanding and empathizing with that exact same group of people, you must be able to see that your attitude is not one that many people (if any) will welcome around here?

Winged Whisperer

It's been maybe 6 or 7 years -probably even longer- since I've engaged in a verbal spat with someone on an internet forum and I have no intention of getting into a new one. You do you.

1 minute ago, Winged Whisperer said:

It's been maybe 6 or 7 years -probably even longer- since I've engaged in a verbal spat with someone on an internet forum and I have no intention of getting into a new one. You do you.

No spat. You engaged me personally, I responded. End of story. Glad we don’t need to discuss it further as equally I don’t want any fall out.

2 minutes ago, Ficto. said:

I didn't say you were a liar, I said you have shown a reluctance to understand asexual issues which is a completely different thing. 

Whether or not Jesus died on a cross to redeem us of all or sins is literally a matter of opinion (regardless of how vehemently some believe it to be true), but when someone (or actually a whole group of people) are trying to explain their actual lived experience to you, which you then continue to deny and instead make blanket negative judgements about all those people, that's when you're displaying a total unwillingness to understand or empathize with said group of people. As this website is dedicated TO understanding and empathizing with that exact same group of people, you must be able to see that your attitude is not one that many people (if any) will welcome around here?

All I said was....

actually dont worry. We just differ in the way we interpret things.

Tasha the demi squirrel

In answer to your original question I don't think it makes any difference if a moderator is Ace or Sexual I don't think it makes any difference what label (if any) a moderator identifies with as long as they are understanding and fair to EVERYONE 

I'm sure keeping an eye out for disagreements and making the decisions about who to give a warning to etc isn't the easiest thing in the world so out of curiosity why would you want the responsibility? 

:ph34r:, As a Mod, I try to do my best to keep things neutral, and of understanding of each ones experiences. It's not an easy thing. But with a team, to reflect upon with it's so much better.

Also, let's keep to personal shoutouts, to a "let's just not do this" ok? 

There are sexuals, grey, demi and aces on the moderation team already. It is rather varied.

But, having a sexual member of the team, or at least someone who understands sexuals, does help. Some things said in hurt and frustration would have been warned for when I was modding if not for Lady Girl, myself and others giving our takes on a sexual partners pain not meaning to come out bigoted against aces. 

Tasha the demi squirrel
5 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

:ph34r:, As a Mod, I try to do my best to keep things neutral, and of understanding of each ones experiences. 

That's all anyone can ask for

3 minutes ago, Serran said:

Some things said in hurt and frustration would have been warned for when I was modding if not for Lady Girl, myself and others giving our takes on a sexual partners pain not meaning to come out bigoted against aces. 

That's a fair point as it's not easy to know if your own interpretation of what someone wrote is how they meant it to come accross therefore making it difficult to know when someone is being offensive intentionally or not 

2 hours ago, Ficto. said:

Oh believe me, I know exactly what you said. You repeated it often enough. 

Like I say ficto, if you don’t believe in Jesus it doesn’t mean you are calling people who claim they have had been contacted by Jesus, a liar. You won’t find any post where I called anyone a liar. 

And as for my argument...

Well take a look at the thread “I knew I was asexual when”.

It is lost after post of people knowing when they were young. It completely supports what I was saying and what you were all shouting me down about.

Archived