Who else is into D&D?

DeathMunchkin

DeathMunchkin

Basically what the title says. Who else on here is into D&D (Dungeons and Dragons). I myself discovered it about a year and a half ago and it's become a huge part of my life since. I'm actually looking to start Dungeon Mastering a long term homebrew campaign this year, so that'll be fun!

Got any interesting stories, experiences, characters or worlds you'd like to share with us? I'd love to hear all about it! :)

no-longer-in-use

I love D&D. I'm currently playing a badass human samurai (fighter subclass) and a wood elf Circle of the Shepherd druid!

I've been playing since... well lets just say AD&D didn't exist back then...

Its great fun - even after decades.  I love it as a psychology experiment to see how people behave in different situations.  They may be "role playing" but often something real shows through.    

Its also great mental exercise.  To my way of thinking, the DM's goal is to provide an infinite, seamless world.  When the characters go off script (like suddenly deciding to take a ship to another continent (yup)) to be able to make that look as fully detailed as the world you had planned. 

We have our own rules set that fits our style of play better than D&D but really the rules are a minor part of it. 

Classic fantasy works well, but Star Wars can be pretty good too.  Modern adventures are tough because of the temptation to call in the marines.  

Knight of Cydonia

My first introduction to D&D was through playing Baldur's Gate II when I was a kid - it was a computer game that used AD&D 2E for rules. (Side note: I highly recommend it. It's one of the greatest computer RPGs of all time for good reason.)

It wasn't until a few years ago that I finally got to play tabletop D&D with some friends. We played 4E for a while, and recently switched to 5E (I vastly prefer 4E, but got outvoted - ahh well). In the current campaign I'm a tiny 5-year-old kobold fighter, and he's a lot of fun! He left his kobold pack at the age of 3 - he'll tell anyone it's because he never fit in due to his hatred of dragons (kobolds, of course, being hardcore dragon worshippers and minions), but secretly it's because he's absolutely terrified of them.

I'm in a second 5E campaign with a different group that just started up, in which I'm a high elf fighter/rogue. A rebellious and stubborn girl, she ran away from her sheltered noble home because her parents wanted her to take on the family business and impose a life on her she didn't want for herself. A thieves' guild took her in and taught her how to survive, and now she wants to see as much of the world as she can.

DeathMunchkin

Since we have people sharing, I figured it's only fair for me to share some stories too. I'm involved in 4 major campaigns at the moment (though two are with the same group on an alternating schedule). Two of my most played characters are as follows:

Tara: A female gunslinger and younger (by 1 minute) sister to her twin brother Sorrow. They were born into a cult and despite having human/elvin parents they are tieflings due to a dark ritual performed during their mother's pregnancy. Being the younger (and completely unexpected) sibling she was designated the role of "spare parts" whilst her brother was raised as the "chosen one" of the cult. She learned gunslinging from a mentor she met while sneaking out of the house as a child, who later helped her and her brother escape. She is very gloomy and serious, though has a bit of a trickster attitude (loves to play pranks).

Dax: A male kobold arcane puppeteer/wild sorcerer. Unlike traditional D&D kobolds he is a "metallic" kobold and thus worships Bahamut and other 'good' dragons along with the rest of his metallic tribe. He ran away from his tribe though because they refused to let him use magic (he nearly burned down the chief's tent once). He's very chaotic and silly, but generally good natured. He also has a very funny way of speaking.

DeathMunchkin
4 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

I love D&D! Sadly I don't have anyone to play it with anymore...

Have you considered joining clubs (like adventures league)? Or playing with people online?

41 minutes ago, DeathMunchkin said:

Have you considered joining clubs (like adventures league)? Or playing with people online?

I didn't know any such clubs existed... as for playing online, timezones tend to be a big issue.

DeathMunchkin
3 minutes ago, StomachGod said:

I didn't know any such clubs existed... as for playing online, timezones tend to be a big issue.

I believe Adventurers League is mostly an America based thing, so I don't know if that's anywhere near where you are, but if you're interested you can check them out here.

Something which also helps is to go to orientation days at universities. I know it sounds a bit weird, but trust me they tend to promote a lot of clubs and you're not required to be a student to join the extra curricular clubs, or at least that's how it is where I'm from. That's how I found my groups actually. Alternatively you can just ask around at local game stores, they tend to have info stuff like that.

Hope this helps :)

I recently started my very first game of D&D! I've been wanting to get into it for a while now and after dropping hints and suggestion for a solid year in my friend group, we've finally started! It's pure chaos at this point because all of us are excited to play but we have zero experience except for the DM. He has played once or twice as a player so we keep the handbooks in arm's reach for almost every check but we love it so far. 
So far half the party got drunk while attempting to rescue some villagers and a skunk (one player REALLY loves animals) leaving the rest of us to battle the giant guard-spider alone while keeping them from wandering drunkenly into its path. 
If anyone has any tips on what new players should be aware of or look out for I'd love to hear it. 

DeathMunchkin
4 minutes ago, Eline said:

I recently started my very first game of D&D! I've been wanting to get into it for a while now and after dropping hints and suggestion for a solid year in my friend group, we've finally started! It's pure chaos at this point because all of us are excited to play but we have zero experience except for the DM. He has played once or twice as a player so we keep the handbooks in arm's reach for almost every check but we love it so far. 
So far half the party got drunk while attempting to rescue some villagers and a skunk (one player REALLY loves animals) leaving the rest of us to battle the giant guard-spider alone while keeping them from wandering drunkenly into its path. 
If anyone has any tips on what new players should be aware of or look out for I'd love to hear it. 

The main advice I can give is have fun, and never ever split the party :)

2 hours ago, Eline said:

My only tips:

1) different groups play differently. It can range from problem solving to "exploring" to social interaction. Figure out what the group you play with likes to do.

2).  Usually games are best as collective story telling.  The goal is to make the story good, not to "win". 

I mostly DM, but I'm a player in a campaign my brother is running.

The party recently got marooned in the middle of nowhere when the goblin we hired as a gunner stole our ship.  When we finally found a cave to shelter in for the night, it turned out to be already occupied by a dragon.  We would have all died, but our rogue miraculously managed to sweet-talk her into not eating us.

DeathMunchkin
2 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

The party recently got marooned in the middle of nowhere when the goblin we hired as a gunner stole our ship. 

Never trust a goblin xD. Our goblin party member betrayed us all, left us in a middle of a battle and stole a whole tree (note, the tree was several stories tall. Magic was obviously used).

Goblins seem to be a recurring motif in my campaigns.

In the adventure I ran with some folks from the gaming club last semester, the party hired a goblin for the princely sum of one copper piece per day.  However, he had to be paid extra to go into combat.

I generally give goblins goofy technology. 

Orcs on the other hand are the fallen descendants of the noble race that served the dark lord.  The are just waiting for a leader to restore them to their former greatness.  For now though they just squabble among themselves.   (In one game the PCs introduce them to communism...)

Pity the poor ghouls,  results of dreadful experiments to turn humans into more robust slaves.  Now shuned, they hide in tunnels and graveyards, eating the dead as their only source of sustenance. 

I've only started playing since I got to uni so we tend to run most of our campaigns in the couple of weeks after exams but before everyone goes home - we've tried a summer campaign using roll20 and discord but it didn't work unfortunately

I tend to play rangers/druids (I'm slowly but surely making character sheets for identical twins where one is a ranger and the other is a druid and the only way to tell them apart is by the colour of the ribbon tying their hair back

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, Ardoise said:

Rangers and druids are deeply underrated.

Archived