How do you want to be buried?

Dreamsexual

Corpse disposal  

228 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want your body dealt with after death?

• Buried
    • Cremated
    • Donated to science or art
    • Sky burial
    • Buried at sea
    • Something else?
    • Don't care
    • Cryogenics

This poll is closed to new votes

On 5/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I kinda wanna be thrown into the firebox of a steam loco

Haha, that sounds like an awesome way to go.

Personally I'd like my body to feed wild animals.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, i aced it said:

Donating is the cheapest way to go, unless you can find someone who will buy your dead body from your family, but I feel like there would be something illegal about that

I agree. But I would also like it if I can be compost or fertilizer. More greenery and flowers 🌳🌻

A couple of days ago I read there's now a company that composts human bodies. This is clearly my favourite option now as it is fast, efficient and environmentally friendly.

1 hour ago, timewarp said:

A couple of days ago I read there's now a company that composts human bodies. This is clearly my favourite option now as it is fast, efficient and environmentally friendly.

Yes, I saw Trevor Noah talk about it during the week

I want to give medical professionals 3 days to harvest my organs for recycling (spare parts for other humans).

and after that just dump my remaining's in the corps pit, wishing well, or somewhere else... I don't care.

Maybe pig food, maybe some creep wants to make a nice lampshade out of my skin. After I'm dead I will not be there to care about it.

CelesteAdAstra

I'd prefer another option, namely immortality, if that is alright 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Organs donated and a natural burial with a tree planted as my tombstone.

Cremated or donated to science (not on exhibition but for medical schools or as an organ donor). Not for art x/

Donate for sure, but this is all riding on IF I die, and, honestly, we have no proof that I will. I haven't died even a SINGLE time, so y'all can keep waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
Anonymous Axolotl

I don't want to be buried. Since I have various chronic illnesses/conditions, I'd much rather have my body be studied in hopes of gaining a better understanding of how to treat and potentially cure these problems. After my body has been studied in whatever way, a body farm (if they accept bodies after study) or decomposition sound like good options.

AwkwardAxolotl
2 hours ago, Anonymous Axolotl said:

I don't want to be buried. Since I have various chronic illnesses/conditions, I'd much rather have my body be studied in hopes of gaining a better understanding of how to treat and potentially cure these problems. After my body has been studied in whatever way, a body farm (if they accept bodies after study) or decomposition sound like good options.

I also thought going to a body farm after I die could be cool. My family was horrified though when I mentioned it.

Anonymous Axolotl
1 minute ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

I also thought going to a body farm after I die could be cool. My family was horrified though when I mentioned it.

A similar situation for me. Well, they weren't necessarily as horrified as much as unsettled by the fact that body farms exist. When I explained what they are for they thought that they were interesting, but they still didn't feel entirely comfortable with the idea.

(And nice to meet you, fellow axolotl!)

20 hours ago, AwkwardAxolotl said:

What is a body farm? Never heard of it (at least in English).

Anonymous Axolotl
51 minutes ago, naakka said:

What is a body farm? Never heard of it (at least in English).

A "body farm" is a research facility for studying how bodies decompose. Getting a better understanding of what happens to the human body after death without interference has helped in solving murder cases and seeing a broader view of the food chain.

Here's an interesting article covering the brief history and role of body farms (warning for graphic images of deceased people): https://allthatsinteresting.com/body-farms

Tibetan Sky Burial, where they dismember you and feed the birds.

Really, I don't have a preference. It would be nice to help science or art. At least take whatever organs can help. The rest I don't care about. Feed me to a tree. I certainly don't want to take up real estate or sit in an urn on someone's mantle (or more realistically in a box in the back of their closet with unused tennis rackets)

A body farm is an interesting idea. They can take whatever they can get, and you're still helping.

13 hours ago, Anonymous Axolotl said:

A "body farm" is a research facility for studying how bodies decompose. Getting a better understanding of what happens to the human body after death without interference has helped in solving murder cases and seeing a broader view of the food chain.

Here's an interesting article covering the brief history and role of body farms (warning for graphic images of deceased people): https://allthatsinteresting.com/body-farms

Oh I see! I've actually seen a documentary about body farms but just couldn't connect the dots here :D

Btw, I don't understand how body farm is so unthinkable to many, while no-one even thinks about what happens to their body after buried at the normal funeral. The exact same thing happens to your body regardless, on the body farm it just helps others in addition.

Anonymous Axolotl
7 hours ago, naakka said:

Oh I see! I've actually seen a documentary about body farms but just couldn't connect the dots here :D

Btw, I don't understand how body farm is so unthinkable to many, while no-one even thinks about what happens to their body after buried at the normal funeral. The exact same thing happens to your body regardless, on the body farm it just helps others in addition.

Similar situation for me some years ago. I saw a documentary about them, forgot what they were called, and then sometime later came across an article of "cool things to do once you're dead." Reading the article, it re-explained to me what body farms are. (That article also had some other strange things to do with your body, such as being made into an artificial diamond, getting your ashes launched into space, etc.)

Part of me wonders if, at least for some people, it as to do with religion or comfort. Even though the body is going to decay one way or another, the whole idea of a ceremony going hand in hand with a funeral might be much more soothing for them/their family. Of course, the person who is dead isn't going to get to see the funeral, but before death, the idea of "I'm going to have a funeral when I die" might be more comforting than "my body is going to put on a 'farm' and left to decay with a bunch of others for study."

You can still have a good memorial event without sinking a few thousand into a wooden box and hole in the ground.

I'm not saying it is wrong to want that kind of thing, or to want a good funeral, but the concept of death needs to be normalized so people can make decisions like that. Having these discussions with family should be common, not something to avoid.

1 hour ago, Anonymous Axolotl said:

Part of me wonders if, at least for some people, it as to do with religion or comfort. Even though the body is going to decay one way or another, the whole idea of a ceremony going hand in hand with a funeral might be much more soothing for them/their family. Of course, the person who is dead isn't going to get to see the funeral, but before death, the idea of "I'm going to have a funeral when I die" might be more comforting than "my body is going to put on a 'farm' and left to decay with a bunch of others for study."

It probably has a lot to do with religion/beliefs/not wanting to think about the reality on the sad moment. Still, there could be equally beautiful ceremony, there could be a place for the memorial stone (thomb stone?) etc. It literally makes no difference whether there's a buried body, a urn, or a body donated to help science. I think it's also partly due to people not knowing anything about the body farms and the first thing that pops up their mind is something from a horror movie or something. 

Anonymous Axolotl
2 hours ago, naakka said:

It probably has a lot to do with religion/beliefs/not wanting to think about the reality on the sad moment. Still, there could be equally beautiful ceremony, there could be a place for the memorial stone (thomb stone?) etc. It literally makes no difference whether there's a buried body, a urn, or a body donated to help science. I think it's also partly due to people not knowing anything about the body farms and the first thing that pops up their mind is something from a horror movie or something

Empty casket burials are a thing, anyway, so you could still have the ceremony while something else is done with your body. I think there needs to be a lot more awareness of body farms as well. 

I don’t really care cremate me and flush it

Ideally, I’d just be tossed out somewhere for the animals to eat me. Circle of life and all that good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Grimalkin said:

And plant a tree over me. I'll be great fertilizer.

That's how I want to go! everyone looks at me weird but maybe because I just simply state "I wanna be a tree!" and run off

On 6/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, Anonymous Axolotl said:

Empty casket burials are a thing, anyway, so you could still have the ceremony while something else is done with your body. I think there needs to be a lot more awareness of body farms as well. 

Body farms! I have wanted this for my corpse since I learned of them. Seriously. Let them harvest anything they can use for living people... and learn what they can from anything left over. It's not me anymore. Reuse and recycle, man.

Feryn_Hyte

Literally just chuck my body in the forest and let nature have its will. I have no more use for it after all...

I'm not all that fussed, but I know my family would be, so ideally donate organs, cremate what's left and use the ashes to plant a nice tree.

I do know someone who wants to turn their ashes into a firework though so there's that 😁

For some reason I was actually dreaming (vaguely) about this. I stand by my not caring about disposing of myself, but I really understand the desire to build a monument for a loved one. Not my thing, but I can imagine losing, say, a child, and needing a way to grieve with that loss. Lord knows I keep tons of junk around my room as little monuments to things that have happened. So I really have to try to respect other people's desire for a memorial, especially if it is for their family.

• 1 month later...
DragonSpirit

What a morbid topic--perfect for me.

I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered over the ocean. No way is my body gonna rot in the ground. Ew. Plus, if there's a zombie apocalypse, it won't involve my corpse!

• 2 weeks later...

No one in my region practices the same religion as me. So I'm out of luck. 😖😭 Burnt it is, hopefully my family follows my Will or I will poltergeist their lives.

DuranDuranfan

I’ve requested cremation. And I’m gonna have my ashes placed under the headstone in cemetery.

Archived