Any GIS folks here? Need some advice.

Guest community6seasons

Guest community6seasons

A bit of background. I am a B.E. Electronics graduate. I worked for 9.5 years in the IT industry in the field of performance testing. Then I took a break of 1.5 years due to personal setbacks.

I am looking to change my field and found GIS to be quite interesting. There's a local institute which offers a 3-month certificate course. They teach ArcView, ArcGIS, Autodesk, and Microstation, but nothing I doubt in the basics of GIS. Having no background in civil engineering, environmental science or geography, and starting again after a long break, would it be advisable for me to do this course?

Do they have any prerequisites for the course? Maybe you could talk to someone at the local institute who can advise you based on where you are coming from in terms of qualifications or lack thereof? It really depends on how the course is structured and what prior knowledge they assume students should have.

Guest community6seasons
15 hours ago, daveb said:

Do they have any prerequisites for the course? Maybe you could talk to someone at the local institute who can advise you based on where you are coming from in terms of qualifications or lack thereof? It really depends on how the course is structured and what prior knowledge they assume students should have.

Well, in their flyer they mention graduates of geography, earth sciences, and B.E. Civil Engineering are encouraged to apply. But there are no hard restrictions. Plus, I don't really like the strategy of asking them directly cause the way I see it, they would encourage everyone to apply. I mean what do they care as long as the money comes in. 

The course is heavily structured towards teaching the two ESRI products and Autodesk. The focus is mainly on learning how to use the software.

You'd probably learn some background on the job if you get a job in an industry that uses GIS. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have some background in advance, but may not be required.

Guest community6seasons
13 hours ago, daveb said:

You'd probably learn some background on the job if you get a job in an industry that uses GIS. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have some background in advance, but may not be required.

Ok I will give it a go. Thank you for the inputs :).

10 hours ago, community6seasons said:

Ok I will give it a go. Thank you for the inputs :).

Good luck! Hopefully you will find it fun and a great learning experience. :) 

Archived