Caffeine poll (because reasons)

scarletlatitude

How many caffeinated beverages do you drink per day?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. How many caffeinated beverages do you drink per day?

• None
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • More than 5
    • The limit does not exist

This poll is closed to new votes

Life With Masks

I never drink coffee because If I was made to drink coffee I would start to freak out about how this foreign subtance would play in my body.

Caffeine does nothing for me, sooo... meh. Somewhere between 0 and 1, much closer to 0. As in, 3 or 4 cups a year :D

sometimes I don't drink any for weeks and sometimes I drink an amount that some experience as an overdose.

I am that person who still can sleep after 20 cans of energy drink and a litre of coffee.

caffeine is good for your health, it keeps your heart beating.

But I learned thru experience that you must never drink more than 40 cans of energy drink a day, it will feel like you are going to die. 

As a general rule, I take in no caffeine whatsoever. The only exception would be if I had a sneaky bit of chocolate on the odd occasion, but that is rare. I certainly don't ever drink anything with caffeine in. It is not because I disapprove of caffeine or am averse to it per se; it just happens that all drinks which contain it (tea, coffee, coca-cola, energy drinks etc.) are drinks that I don't like. I have never even tried a single cup of coffee in my life ever, and I don't need to do so to know that I wouldn't like it.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:17 AM, scarletlatitude said:

And quick follow up question - if you say "zero" I would like to know what magic you possess. 

I am not magic. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Gareki said:

Am I the only one here who drinks coffee by the pot? :ph34r:

I'll generally consume the entire pot, if I brew it.  filled up to the 8 "cup" mark which is more like 1.5 liters or  about four regular sized (12 oz) mugs.

Depends on the day...

1-2 if I'm tired, didn't get enough sleep and have to work. Cause omg working special needs education takes a lot of energy and I can't afford to be drowsy and tired with those kids. 

None if I'm not working and can just do my natural schedule and get proper sleep. 

Tea. A cup of tea on getting up ( first thing I do is fill the kettle ), mid morning, early afternoon, and very occasionally, another cup late afternoon. So, 3 to 4 cups a day. For the taste not for the caffeine.

Generally none, I have a cup or two of coffee every couple weeks and a caffeinated soda more rarely. I haven't been able to tell if it keeps me awake or not, if I knew I would drink more, lol.

0 and since you asked "It just tastes bad, just like alcohol" 

sure i drink coca cola or pepsi now and then, meaning 0,5 liters almost weekly, those have some caffeine in them?

I developed a caffeine addiction during my first year of Uni. Early mornings and long days. Consciously got rid of it later, but I find myself drinking more caffeinated drinks (coca-cola and this drink called Fenix which has much more caffeine than cola drinks usually do) whenever I need to get up early in the morning consistently. In general when I'm allowed to live my night owl schedule I can do it entirely without caffeine, including the occasional early morning.

Back to Avalon

I almost never drink caffeine. I never got into the daily coffee habit, probably because I find the taste of it just okay, something I can take or leave. I don't drink coffee with dessert because I sweeten my coffee and don't want a sweet drink with dessert. I might have a cafe mocha once in a while if I'm out early enough, but that's very rare. I drink pop only if I'm out to eat, which is also rare. Too much caffeine makes me jittery and have to go to the bathroom. It would keep me awake if I drank too much too late, but I'm not sure how much it would wake me up in the morning. There's no substitute for a good night's sleep.  

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, 1-2 on average.

everywhere and nowhere
On 1/12/2019 at 2:35 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

Now, back to the tea. I'm a teamaniac and every day I drink several glasses of tea (personal best: probably 20) - and my habit is never to drink the same tea more than once daily. So these are different kinds of tea. "Tea sensu stricto" is made from leaves of Camellia sinensis, with or without other ingredients, so it includes black tea, green tea, white tea, oolong, pu-erh etc. Camellia sinensis naturally contains caffeine. "Tea sensu largo" includes beverages which are brewed just like tea, but aren't made from Camellia sinensis - fruit teas (people who are more pedantic say "infusions"), herbal teas, rooibos, yerba mate etc. With the exception of yerba mate, they don't contain caffeine. The hard part is to say how many of them belong to which category, particularly since it varies...

Yesterday I drank: two glasses of black teas, two glasses of green teas, one glass of pu-erh tea, two glasses of fruit teas, three glasses of herbal teas, one glass of rooibos. Unless I have forgotten something... Which makes five caffeine-containing drinks and six caffeine-free drinks.

OK, a more detailed list of Poland's biggest teamaniac's teas. ;)

c+ = with caffeine, c- = without caffeine

This day (which can last beyond midnight - from waking up until going to sleep. How I hate sleeping and how I wish I could rest without sleeping... :() I drank the following teas:

1. Herbal tea for allergy with a lot of medicinal herbs which would be hard to translate. Probably won't help, but won't do harm either. ;) c-

2. Yerba mate (normal "mate green" and roasted mate) with rooibos, tangerine and cinnamon. c+

3. Green tea with carrot, cardamom, ginger, Roman chamomile and ginseng. c+

4. Fruit tea with a blueberry and vanilla flavour. c-

5. Ayurvedic herbal tea with cinnamon, mint, licorice, ginger, fennel, allspice, cloves, parsley leaves and tulsi (Indian holy basil). c-

6. Mint tea (actually, "strong mint" - peppermint fortified with a bit of peppermint oil. What an aroma 😄). c-

7. Pu-erh tea with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and pepper. c+

8. Herbal tea for blood circulation, ingredients - see point 1. c-

9. Black tea with vanilla flavour (banal and not very good, but I'll use it up together with vanilla ice - of course, I just eat some ice ice and wash it down with tea, I don't mix them directly - yuck). c+

10. Green tea with lemon, mint and lime leaves. c+

11. Rooibos and honeybush with lavender and rose petals. c-

12. White tea with mulberry, papaya and jasmine (an amazingly sweet aroma and taste 😲). c+

13. Fruit tea with raspberry and chilli. c-

14. Rooibos with orange peel and yoghurt flavour. c-

15. Fruit tea with sea buckthorn, hibiscus, ginger and lemongrass. c-

Together: 6x c+, 9x c-.

Apart from that, I drank a few gulps of water. No other drinks. I drink almost exclusively broadly understood tea and water.

Most days 1, in the morning on work days. Usually on weekends too but not always. But usually its only a small cup or half a mug, so I don't go overboard. And I don't drink soda, so that's it for me. :)

I drink a couple a week.  Mostly caffenated sodas and teas.  I don't like the taste of coffee, so it was very easy for me to not building up a caffine dependency.

Fluffy Femme Guy

Coffee > True Love

On 1/12/2019 at 2:48 AM, Chimeric said:

It's complete insanity how potent coffee can be, and we don't even realize. Honestly, I went into the detox as moral support for Evil, I figured it wouldn't be too bad for me since I was "only" having 1 cup a day... my best friend pointed out it was "only" 1 cup a day for so long, though. Incredibly eye-opening experience! Even knowing all of this I still can't kick the habit completely, coffee is too important to me. That's a strong drug. 

Yeah, it's a strong drug indeed. I realised that far too late, but now I see that coffee is partly to blame for my messed up health.

I used to drink 3-6 cups a day (!) for many years, then a couple of months ago I decided to cut it down to 1-2 cups rather than go cold turkey. It worked, for a while I felt much better. Now I fell back into the habit of drinking too much coffee.

Does anyone have advice on how to efficiently fight this addiction? 

Chloe O'Leary

At least 3 mugs of tea a day, probably 4 or more. Often in pint-sized mugs.

Being a tea fiend tends to run in our family. 😉

WinterWanderer

Usually 1 cup of coffee a day, but varies from 0-3 cups. I don't drink it for the caffeine, but rather for the taste and texture when I add cream. I have the best non-dairy creamer that completely makes my day. 

Since I don't need/want the caffeine, I should probably switch to a non-caffeinated beverage, like herbal tea. I'm not dependent on caffeine at the moment, but over time I probably will be.

WinterWanderer
On 1/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, kiaroskuro said:

Yeah, it's a strong drug indeed. I realised that far too late, but now I see that coffee is partly to blame for my messed up health.

I used to drink 3-6 cups a day (!) for many years, then a couple of months ago I decided to cut it down to 1-2 cups rather than go cold turkey. It worked, for a while I felt much better. Now I fell back into the habit of drinking too much coffee.

Does anyone have advice on how to efficiently fight this addiction? 

From what I've seen, you have to quit cold turkey.

My sister has been trying to cut down on coffee for the past year. She went from 1 cup to 1/2 cup, then 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. Each time she lessened the amount, she felt miserable for a few days while her body adjusted. She was afraid of what the withdrawal symptoms might be if she actually went from 1/4 cup to none at all, so she never gave it up completely. And now she's back to drinking the full cup again.

Yeah... caffeine affects her so much that even a half-cup difference gives her withdrawal symptoms! Can only imagine what it's doing to her body, then. It really does affect her like a strong drug.

I think she would've gotten more out of it, if she'd gone cold turkey and suffered for a week. Versus dragging it out.

Most days I don't drink anything caffeinated, the most I ever drink is three, but that's very rare. 

(the only caffeinated drinks I drink are pop, I don't like coffee, so I don't drink that)

Humm I drink chai lattes, hot chocolate, fanta or sprite and have recently started drinking cold infusion teas so maybe 1. Somedays I need a chai but mostly just water.

Thanks for your feedback, @Rynn.

I guess that I'm not as easily affected by caffeine reduction as your sister. Plus, I don't really want to give up coffee completely. (Oh god, a life without coffee, I can't even imagine it!)

I'm currently trying to replace one cup of Joe per day with some nice black tea.

• 3 weeks later...
MonsterTurtle

0 because i don't like the taste of coffee and caffeine doesn't even do anything for me 💁‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...

I have a coffee when I get into work and one for the road, that's enough for me

I put "more than 5" as my option, my intake varies greatly depending on my day and my mood, a busier day leaves me with less time for consuming coffee, but a more idle day (and if I'm in the mood for it) means I can consume more coffee. I go anywhere from no coffee in a day to 2 litres of unsweetened black coffee.

My friend calls me a coffee peasant though as I don't really care what coffee I drink, I drink too much to go for anything fancy so I just drink instant coffee.

I was concerned about addiction and withdrawal as well as the effects of coffee (both good and bad), so I experimented by quitting cold-turkey for 2 weeks (coffee has a 4-6 hour half-life so it takes a while to completely exit the body).

It seems the only effect caffeine has on me is I need to visit the bathroom more frequently, aside from that it has no other effects on me and I suffer no withdrawals 🤔

So I can get back to attempting to replace my blood with coffee, and in case anybody is wondering, the Blood Services (SANBS on my side) does NOT do caffeine transfusions in exchange for blood, I did ask...

On 1/13/2019 at 6:23 AM, firewallflower said:

... but a pentagram or two never hurts. 😄

Mine is a tattoo so it hurt a bit, the other I wear as a pendant so no pain there 😋

firewallflower
14 minutes ago, Infinita_Nox said:
On 1/12/2019 at 11:23 PM, firewallflower said:

... but a pentagram or two never hurts. 😄

Mine is a tattoo so it hurt a bit, the other I wear as a pendant so no pain there 😋

Hah, fair enough. I stand corrected. 😜

But it sounds like your pentagrams didn't have the effect of stopping you drinking coffee. Perhaps you forgot the necromancy/benign spellcraft combo? 😉

5 minutes ago, firewallflower said:

Hah, fair enough. I stand corrected. 😜

But it sounds like your pentagrams didn't have the effect of stopping you drinking coffee. Perhaps you forgot the necromancy/benign spellcraft combo? 😉

Nope, working as intended. Caffeine-immunity spell FTW. My wand has a skull on it, I don't think it does benign at all 😆

Archived