Caffeine poll (because reasons)

scarletlatitude

How many caffeinated beverages do you drink per day?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. How many caffeinated beverages do you drink per day?

• None
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • More than 5
    • The limit does not exist

This poll is closed to new votes

scarletlatitude

How much caffeine do you drink daily? You can pick the closest estimate if it varies every day. 

And quick follow up question - if you say "zero" I would like to know what magic you possess. 

None - I have insomnia and stopped drinking any caffeine over a decade ago to help deal with it. More recently I also found out that I have interstitial cystitis and the extreme diet for that cuts out all coffee, tea and sodas (and a ton of other stuff). I keep to the diet and limits because I feel a million times better on the diet

1-2 or 3-4 depending on my day and how we measure this. I am trying to find a more natural source of caffeine than the awful sodas I drink.  

None most days, 1-2 cups of coffee on the weekend (and on vacations), absolutely never more than 3 cups a day. Makes me feel too jittery.

everywhere and nowhere

Hard to say exactly. However, I only drink caffeine in form of tea and non-traditionally brewed yerba mate (the traditional form is just way too bitter for me, so I brew it like tea - and, anyway, for me yerba mate is a part of the category "tea sensu largo") - which also have less caffeine than coffee and much less than "energy drinks". I hate the taste of coffee, very rarely drink any cola, will probably never again try an "energy drink" because for me it felt almost scary...

Now, back to the tea. I'm a teamaniac and every day I drink several glasses of tea (personal best: probably 20) - and my habit is never to drink the same tea more than once daily. So these are different kinds of tea. "Tea sensu stricto" is made from leaves of Camellia sinensis, with or without other ingredients, so it includes black tea, green tea, white tea, oolong, pu-erh etc. Camellia sinensis naturally contains caffeine. "Tea sensu largo" includes beverages which are brewed just like tea, but aren't made from Camellia sinensis - fruit teas (people who are more pedantic say "infusions"), herbal teas, rooibos, yerba mate etc. With the exception of yerba mate, they don't contain caffeine. The hard part is to say how many of them belong to which category, particularly since it varies...

Yesterday I drank: two glasses of black teas, two glasses of green teas, one glass of pu-erh tea, two glasses of fruit teas, three glasses of herbal teas, one glass of rooibos. Unless I have forgotten something... Which makes five caffeine-containing drinks and six caffeine-free drinks.

coffee in the morning. a pop with lunch. that's my average, somedays I will have more.

I used to drink "1 cup" (it was a 16 oz mug...) of black coffee a day, and had done almost daily for over a decade (it was more in vet school; I would easily put back 4-5 cups of coffee, and on exam days [which were frequent; up to 3 times a week for about 1/3 of the semester] it was that plus 1-2 Red Bulls). @Evil challenged me to caffeine detox recently, and I cut it out cold-turkey for about a month... the difference was outrageous. The first week was awful (headaches, I was grouchy, I couldn't get my thoughts organized), but after that - I would actually wake up with energy (this hasn't happened in years), I was never jittery, I felt like there was less cloud in my head... it was great. Now I have coffee 2 times a week, and I have to be careful not to make it too strong, because the effect i has on me is nuts. I used to occasionally nick my ex's prescription amphetamines (important sidenote: don't do this - I was young and stupid), and the effect that 16 oz of strong coffee has on me now is more than what his meds had. Jitters, my brain feels like it's going 1,000 MPH but I can't actually get anything done (I'm too busy trying to get everything done)... it's madness! And the tolerance builds up so quickly; I had three cups this week and I'm already waking up groggy, slow, and grumpy.

It's complete insanity how potent coffee can be, and we don't even realize. Honestly, I went into the detox as moral support for Evil, I figured it wouldn't be too bad for me since I was "only" having 1 cup a day... my best friend pointed out it was "only" 1 cup a day for so long, though. Incredibly eye-opening experience! Even knowing all of this I still can't kick the habit completely, coffee is too important to me. That's a strong drug. 🤣

RoseGoesToYale

One every morning, another one if there's a late hockey game. Any more and my body would be very unhappy with me.

Zero because it absolutely wrecks me. Makes me anxious and sweaty, ugh. I wish I could have it, as I am constantly tired and in need of any boost I can get

Usually 2-3. A large percentage of my daily liquid intake is iced coffee. Sometimes tea too. I can’t do energy drinks though, last time I had one of those I ended up sick in bed all day.

No coffee for me. I do drink tea sometimes (black tea or herbal tea, although the latter doesn't have caffeine), but usually not in the morning (unless I'm traveling somewhere like the UK and get breakfast with tea). I also drink hot chocolate, which I suppose also comes under the heading of caffeine drinks. But again, I don't drink it for the caffeine.

I drink 1-1.5 liters of coffee per day.  rarely some hot or iced tea.  Sometimes a diet coke and I like to slam red bulls on the weekend, sometimes mixed with vodka.  

Honestly my body can't absorb caffeine because it's a jerk.

Am I the only one here who drinks coffee by the pot? :ph34r:

I'm not kidding, though. I'll drink coffee in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I hate energy drinks and usually don't drink soda. Sometimes I'll have tea, but it's usually herbal. Coffee is the only caffeine I consume, but I drink it like it's liquid youth. I don't feel like myself unless I've had at least three cups...and most of the time, I wonder if I'm feeling them at all.

Celyn: The Lutening

I am just constantly drinking tea, so "the limit does not exist".

I have two cups before I leave the house, then one once I get into work. After that just whenever I feel like it or if someone offers (never decline tea).

Not crazy about coffee or energy drinks. Only copious amounts of tea.

I think I already have had 3 cups of tea and it is not yet midday.

On weekends, over 5 cups of tea. On weekdays it is harder. In the morning at least 1 but ideally 2. At work, I have peppermint tea so that is ok, doesn't count.

In the evening at dinner time, probably 3 so I'll go with 5

Because I drink it for the taste and not he caffeine (coffee in small doses actually makes me sleepy) I have the bad habit of not realizing how much coffee I drank until I get all gittery and/or can’t sleep that night. And since caffeine doesn’t usually affect me that means I’ve had to have drank more than a cup per hour, or exceeded 6-8 cups that day with the last several close to bed time. So because I like sleep (and not bouncing off walls more than normal) I force a 3-4 cup limit my self, if I remember - sometimes. I often fail

Depends. I hate coffee but I will drink Coca Cola sometimes. Caffeine seems to have a weird effect on me - it makes me more talkative for some reason

10 hours ago, Gareki said:

Am I the only one here who drinks coffee by the pot?

My mom is right there with ya - she used to go through 2-3 pots a day!

1 hour ago, Chimeric said:

My mom is right there with ya - she used to go through 2-3 pots a day!

Yikes!

That’s actually a bit impressive.

I used to drink a lot of tea, then I realized that it was contributing to my sleep problems.  Now I don't drink anything with caffeine.

On a side note, I had a friend in high school who had the exact reverse of the normal effect from caffeine.  The stuff made her sleepy.  She had ADHD, so that might have been why.

I drink hot tea  or hot chocolate in the winter usually 1 in the morning and another around 2pm and the summer months i make ice tea earl gray or a green tea with lemon.

Alejandrogynous

I used to drink a pot of coffee a day but challenged myself to go cold turkey about two years ago. I didn't get any headaches, to my surprise, but the muscle aches I got instead were no joke. I still drink coffee now because I like it but I limit myself to about one cup in the morning, two for extreme circumstances. On my off days, I sometimes have chai tea instead. In the evenings, I often drink green tea or hot chocolate but I'm not fussed about that low level of caffeine. 

One cup of strong coffee in the morning, usually that's it 

firewallflower
On 1/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, scarletlatitude said:

And quick follow up question - if you say "zero" I would like to know what magic you possess.  

It's a combination of necromancy, benign spellcraft, and the inevitable pentagram. A proper wizard's staff is also helpful, although a wand will suffice in a pinch. Just remember to stay away from running water, or it's all for naught.

... no, just kidding. Probably. 😏

I pretty much never drink caffeinated beverages... and I pretty much never have. That latter point is perhaps what I have to thank for the fact that I'm seemingly one of the few among my peers who can survive without drinking at least a cup of coffee every day. 🤔 I don't drink it, so I can function without it, and I don't really know what I'm missing (which I'm fine with!). Caffeine certainly has its value, but the problem, I think, is that it's one of those substances that we can become dependent on too easily. (Describing it as addictive is controversial, and it's certainly not on the same level as other addictive drugs... but yes, I do consider it somewhat addictive, albeit mildly so.) I don't get enough sleep, so I'm tired too often... but, while of course when I have miles of work to do I wish I wasn't tired, drinking caffeine to stay awake wouldn't address the underlying problem; as a general rule, treating the symptom (being sleepy) rather than the cause (sleep deprivation) is probably going to be worse in the long run. So I suppose that belief, if anything, is my "magic".

Of course, the vast majority of people I know drink coffee and other caffeinated beverages on a very regular basis, which is fine—you do you. 🙂 Just speaking personally here. I also suspect that I'm someone who could become dependent on a morning cup of coffee pretty easily, which just augments my determination to avoid it in the absence of necessity.

... but a pentagram or two never hurts. 😄

None. 1 very rarely, and that one would be hot tea, cocoa, or soda (though I tend to get caffeine-free). I go through most days tired no matter what lol...caffeine affects my heart palpitations and anxiety in general, doesn't necessarily make me more "awake" lol, so I keep it to a minimum. :P

Archived