New Moderator Needed: Hot Box and Asexual Relationships: Nominations

Kelly

Join the team!

If you think you would be interested in being the new Hot Box Co-Moderator and Asexual Relationships Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning.

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 10 January to Thursday, 17 January: Nominations.

Thursday, 17 January to Sunday, 20 January: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 20 January to Sunday, 27 January: Voting.

The Terrible Travis

So is this election for both positions? Whoever wins will become the new moderator for both Hot Box and Asexual Relationships? Or will there be a separate election for each of them?

What actually is the difference between a moderator and a co-mod? Do they have different responsibilities, or does a forum having a co-mod just mean that there are two moderators?

@Toads There isn't a difference. Co-mods are just for forums that have a lot of traffic, so they need two people to moderate them. Hot Box is one of them.

8 minutes ago, Gareki said:

@Toads There isn't a difference. Co-mods are just for forums that have a lot of traffic, so they need two people to moderate them. Hot Box is one of them.

Correction. There's a slight difference. Co-mods can't solo-mod their forums (I mean, I never thought to ask, but you'd step on toes if you continuously made decisions regardless of what your co-mod said.)

Idk if any current mods solo-mod or not. Generally mods don't like to solo, my theory is just recognizing we're not perfect, so we like to have a second opinion.

And for users that are confused, solo-modding doesn't mean a mod can hand out warnings/nudges whenever they want with no oversight. It's just a different method to handle reports that I, personally, thought was beneficial in cases where I would say, "this person is continously breaking this rule and causing a lot of issue. I want to get this nudge/warning out faster so they won't cause further issue."

NerotheReaper

I encourage those who are interested to run, don't be intimidated by Hot Box. It does take some getting used to, but there is an amazing team to help you out. The team really works together and help each other out. 

@NerotheReaper I am glad that AVEN works to keep the space safe and that there are people who do the work. Hot Box is a space that I actively avoid and one cannot volunteer to help keep a space safe if one is afraid to enter said space.

@daveb is a cool cat to co-mod HoBo with, and Rels can have some of the most supportive threads that may warm your heart. There is an awesome training team to help you, so don't let a lack of experience stop you from joining the team. Also there are cat pics. 

Elftober Country

Tempting, but sometimes I can’t even read hotbox!

I don't even want to touch hot box with a 2 miles long pliers. 

1 hour ago, Kimmie. said:

I don't even want to touch hot box with a 2 miles long pliers. 

Yes. I understand what you mean. For some, life's already difficult enough for LGBT+ members who may live with family members--or in communities--who don't accept them (and where they might already constantly have to hear the same arguments discussed in Hot Box); so, it'd probably be extra-difficult, emotionally, for those members to mod the Hot Box and have to also read the same, anti-LGBT+ arguments in that forum, too, constantly.

Joe the Stoic

Ordinarily, this forum is one I would like to assist in moderating, but I myself am hesitant to declare candidacy because I share many of the reservations that other members have voiced about the forum, even though I tend to be more critical of safe spaces.  There is a unique toxicity to the forum that I myself would like to help to reduce, but I worry that by stepping forward and trying to tackle this beast, I am inviting that toxicity upon myself in a way that AVEN, with its current structure and protocols, does not know how to address.

I have moderated communities before.  It's a role I enjoy taking on for my community members, but currently I see little reason to put my name forward or anyone else's.

Meh, Rels seems like too much of a pain in the arse to deal with.

I must speak up in favor of Hot Box, which I frequent because to me that some of the most serious and interesting discussions happen within Hot Box.  Over my 10+ years on AVEN I've been warned once and have had a number of nudges, but I've been impressed with how calm and gentle mods have been in keeping order.   Daveb seems to be doing excellently as a Hot Box moderator, and I don't think that he is someone who  searches out controversy, nor is he interested in trying to change Hot Box into something it is not.   I don't think there is a need; I don't find it to be "toxic."

TLDR:  I don't think anyone should be afraid of moderating Hot Box.  If you enjoy using Hot Box, you'd probably be a very good moderator of it.  

*It's probably obvious that I'm just defending Hot Box, not wanting to be a mod.*

40 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Depends what sort of rels :P:P

6 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

well that depends, does rum and metal count as a rel? :P

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
19 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:
25 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

well that depends, does rum and metal count as a rel? :P

Yes to rum and metal.

What kinda rels :P 

A question what would happen if no one step up? 

@Kimmie., we'd try again to see if an existing admod wants to take it on. If that doesn't work we'll readvertise 

Is it just me or are there less mods than last time I was back there?

2 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Is it just me or are there less mods than last time I was back there?

13 moderators and 6 admin at present

Joe the Stoic
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Kimmie., we'd try again to see if an existing admod wants to take it on. If that doesn't work we'll readvertise 

Just in case that happens, I will put my name forward to forgo that process.

If someone else nominates, then I may pull out.

11 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Speaking as the Rels mod, for the most part, it's not too much trouble. It's mostly reading and moving threads accordingly. I think a lot of people get the wrong idea about Rels because they associate it entirely with romantic relationships, but that's not it. It's a place for relationships in any form.

I hope you'll consider running! :)

It isn't that long ago that I ran to moderate Open Mic and Co-moderate Questions about Asexuality, and I don't regret it.

So I encourage anyone to run, who's interested in moderating Asexual Relationships and Co-moderating Hot Box!

And good luck!

Archived