What's Your Major?

Ldlelee

EggplantWitch

I have no god damn idea about majors and minors and all that American hooey, but I can tell you I'm studying English Literature with Creative Writing. It's not terrible, but boy oh boy I can't wait to graduate. I want a job! And to not live in a town full of old white Tories!

HusbandoGoddess

I'm a Writing, Editing, and Publishing major! I was hesitant about majoring in writing, but throughout my academic career, I've been told time and time again by teachers that I'm an excellent writer. My college prep teacher encouraged me to do it and said something along the lines of, "I don't usually recommend this but you're a really good writer."

Majored in geology in the 1970s, so long ago that people were still arguing over major parts of the theory of plate tectonics. It was an interesting time. One of my older professors was Jewish, and had smuggled his collection of thin sections (microscope slides bearing tiny sections of rock for  analysis) out of Austria in order to avoid confiscation by the Nazis. He was lucky to emigrate while he still could.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, EggplantWitch said:

I have no god damn idea about majors and minors and all that American hooey

Just to spread knowledge for you and others I'll tell that in America there are 4 types of degrees. First is an Associate's Degree, which takes 2 years. Then there's a Bachelor's Degree (also called a major) which takes 4 years. Also available are minors (also called an emphasis) that are roughly equivalent to an Associates degree but it's only awarded to you in conjunction with the award of a Bachelor's Degree. Following that is a Master's Degree, which typically takes two years and can only be taken after the completion of a Bachelor's degree. Law school is a Doctorate Degree, but only a specialization in IT Law requires a specific Bachelor's Degree (has to be a STEM degree of some kind). A Doctorate takes an additional 4 to 10 years depending on the field. Typically to become a professor, one must have a Doctorate in that field. You sometimes do not need to have a Master's Degree to get a Doctorate (example being law school).

So, by way of example, I'm Majoring in History, which is a Bachelor's Degree that will require me to take about 50 credit hours. I'm minoring in business administration, which took 18 credit hours, and economics, which will take a total of 14 credit hours. I also need to take 40 credit hours of general education, which does not include the work on my minors. I will graduate with a Bachelor's in History with emphasis in economics and a minor in business administration. Many American degrees require a minor so that students aren't stuck with just one career path by locking themselves in via degree

Geology!  I could go on for days about the applications- geothermal energy, forestry, mining- even possibly colonizing other planets one day!

7 hours ago, Ardoise said:

Geology!  I could go on for days about the applications- geothermal energy, forestry, mining- even possibly colonizing other planets one day!

Please do that sounds really interesting :) 

What are your opinions on dealing with the problems in the world? I’m studying it from a chemistry perscective - so air pollution, water treatment,  waste management and new energies. Forestry and mining to some extent as well.

Just now, Lichley said:

Please do that sounds really interesting :) 

What are your opinions on dealing with the problems in the world? I’m studying it from a chemistry perscective - so air pollution, water treatment,  waste management and new energies. Forestry and mining to some extent as well.

I'm interested in geothermal energy, because it's a sustainable source for electricity.  The pressure and radioactivity of the earth's mantle make it hot enough to liquefy stone.  It's just a question of putting that power in harness.

Another thing- this is less immediately practical, but just as fascinating- if we're ever going to try colonizing Mars, geology is going to be key.  

5 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

I'm interested in geothermal energy, because it's a sustainable source for electricity.  The pressure and radioactivity of the earth's mantle make it hot enough to liquefy stone.  It's just a question of putting that power in harness.

Another thing- this is less immediately practical, but just as fascinating- if we're ever going to try colonizing Mars, geology is going to be key.  

So would you use the heated rock to generate vapourise steam in a procession similar to current hydrocarbon fuel generators? Or would you use the sheer pressure to cause a different reaction to produce the energy?

Do you think they would use the iron (III) oxide as a photo catalyst as its in such abundance that it could easily be considered a cheap way to mass produce energy up there.

Ooh geology would be really key for mining the moon to, there’s a tonne of precious metals out there, and some people have theories that the first person to do so will likely become the first trillionaire. It’s got tonne of silicone-based structure up there like on Mars as well :) 

The heat produces steam, which moves a turbine, like hydrocarbon burners.  You can also just use the heat to warm your bathwater, or your greenhouse.  Theoretically, you might be able to use the pressure to generate energy somehow, but with the technology we have at present, it's not workable.

And yes, the moon and the asteroid belt contain loads of valuable minerals.  It's just a question of getting at them.  Personally, I think building a space elevator is a good idea, but that's really the engineers' problem to figure out.

Back to Avalon

Since we're on the subject of solving the world's problems, I've often thought that environmental engineers should figure out a way to pump the excess water out of the oceans, clean and desalinate it, and make it available for drinking, irrigation, and everything else. The oceans are rising, and the planet is going to run out of potable water in about 20-30 years. It seems like we could solve two problems at once, but I'm not a scientist or engineer. This is probably outrageously expensive or difficult, or someone would have started working on it by now.

38 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

Since we're on the subject of solving the world's problems, I've often thought that environmental engineers should figure out a way to pump the excess water out of the oceans, clean and desalinate it, and make it available for drinking, irrigation, and everything else. The oceans are rising, and the planet is going to run out of potable water in about 20-30 years. It seems like we could solve two problems at once, but I'm not a scientist or engineer. This is probably outrageously expensive or difficult, or someone would have started working on it by now.

None of the methods available at present for desalinization are very efficient, so they would be hard to use on a large scale.

Back to Avalon

Thanks for the answer, @Ardoise I figured there had to be a reason no one was doing this, but I'd long wondered what it was.

Not in college yet, but I have a T-Shirt that says "I major in Mathematics. Let's save time and assume I'm always right."

So I guess that counts?

Back to Avalon
2 hours ago, Augie279 said:

Not in college yet, but I have a T-Shirt that says "I major in Mathematics. Let's save time and assume I'm always right.

That reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in a catalog that says, "I'm an English major. You do the math."

When I started college, I was majoring in Animal Science. I love animals, and my dream since I was 9 was to be a veterinarian. I liked most of it, just had a hard time with the 101 class. Mainly, with the professor and how he did things. I got much more out of the horse management and companion animal classes. 

I realized at some point that it wasn’t really working out. So, I switched to Anthropology. I was doing a general major and had to decide on taking Anth 101 or Econ 101. I was too scared of taking Econ (not sure why), so I thought Anth was my only choice. I fell in love with it almost instantly. More so than with AS. Did really well with it, too. Then, I became sick, had to skip a couple of semesters because of it, and was eventually ‘stopped out’ because I had to miss so much. Being sick for a while ended it for me. I had no control over it. Been sick off and on ever since, and actually as of July 2015 have a chronic physical illness. So it’s constant, but a different type of thing. If I could go back (after paying off my debt and being truly in remission/manageable), I’d finish it with a focus either on Cultural or Linguistics. Learning about cultures and languages and how they came to be is like my jam. It would be really great. There are lots of things people can do with both of them.

Theater/Movie/TV studies. 

My two minors were phonetics, and general linguistics.

(So, nothing of practical use whatsoever... but you'd have guessed that much from knowing me. 😜)

I'm currently a Biology major with an emphasis in biodiversity, although I'm starting to find Evolutionary Biology extremely enticing, but we'll see where I end up! ^-^

Minoring in Anthropology because I find the subject enjoyable.

I'm studying English Philology.

I have returned to college in my 30s and my major is psychology and early childhood education. ☺️

On 1/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, Lee 🌸 said:

Hey, everyone. I'm sure there is a thread similar to this buried way back in the pits of this forum, but I thought I would do it anyway.

For those of you currently attending college, those that attended college in the past, or those of you planning to, what did you/are you planning to major in? I've been weaving between a degree in English Language and Literature and History, or possibly both, but lately, I've been leaning more towards the latter (to my and everyone else's disbelief) because I've found I love it. I love learning about different cultures and their pasts, what influenced them, and what made them what they are today.

What about you? I'd like to hear what everyone's passionate about and what they're studying, whether it's for their career or to better themselves. :)

I plan on majoring in Biology 

Archived