What's Your Major?

Ldlelee

Hey, everyone. I'm sure there is a thread similar to this buried way back in the pits of this forum, but I thought I would do it anyway.

For those of you currently attending college, those that attended college in the past, or those of you planning to, what did you/are you planning to major in? I've been weaving between a degree in English Language and Literature and History, or possibly both, but lately, I've been leaning more towards the latter (to my and everyone else's disbelief) because I've found I love it. I love learning about different cultures and their pasts, what influenced them, and what made them what they are today.

What about you? I'd like to hear what everyone's passionate about and what they're studying, whether it's for their career or to better themselves. :)

For me, it was Mathematics, Physics and Art.

When I first entered college I was majoring in Nuclear Physics, for complicated reasons I had to stop. I later got an AA equivalent in Programming and that became my eventual profession.

I am currently in college and History major.

I love understanding the present and to better understand the present one must understand the past. Also it overlaps with Economics, Politics, and Anthropology, my other favorites.

2 minutes ago, Aebt said:

I am currently in college and History major.

I love understanding the present and to better understand the present one must understand the past. Also it overlaps with Economics, Politics, and Anthropology, my other favorites.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one pursuing History, then. :D

I'm curious: do you have a career mindset?

I started out as a Computer Science major (game track) but I decided that I did not want to become a developer/programmer. I changed my major to environmental biology and kept with CS as an Associate's degree. However, my school just added Data Science this past semester and I ended up changing my major to that (still keeping with the CS Associate's degree since I'm almost done with it).

I got my Bachelors in History and Criminal Justice. Then I got my Master's in Criminal Justice. My focus was on cyberbullying.

Bachelors in Marketing

Minor in Sociology

Debating a masters in psychology - specifically Mental Health Counseling (not a switch, just another addition)

Business Administration starting when I was in community college. Once I transferred to university and had to pick a focus (since business adminsistration has many focuses like marketing, finance, etc.) I started out with Accounting, but it was way confusing for me, so I switched to Finance eventually. Business/Finance might seem like a weird thing to be passionate about but I really enjoy working with the mathematical aspect of it.

I studied Computer Science! I was going to study Chemistry but there was a little bit of drama (by which I mean earthquakes) so that didn't turn out.

I’m working towards going to Uni for Chemistry with French. I love chemistry with a passion, and it has so many different real world applications, from pharmaceuticals to makeup to explosives. There’s just so many cool stuff. There’s a whole bunch of jobs opening up in new energy, from the generation of power, to the production of new cheaper catalysts (hydrogen fuel uses platinum which is super expensive), to filtering particulates in the air for more healthy living. I could go on for days haha :) 

Back to Avalon

I majored in history, but a bachelor's in the subject didn't get me anywhere. The only jobs I managed to get after college were ones that didn't require a college degree. If you want to make history your career, I strongly recommend keeping your grades up and going to graduate school to become a professor, teacher, museum curator, etc. History can be a good background for a career in a different but related field, like law, ministry, and probably others. There are probably a lot of things you can do with it, but my best advice is plan on going to grad school, no matter what you want to do with history.

I have a bachelor's degree in biology and a second in business management (emphasis in entrepreneurship), a master's degree in public health, a doctorate in veterinary medicine, and I'm working on board certification in anatomic pathology and a second doctorate in biomedical sciences with a focus on molecular diagnostics.

If I could go to medical school just for the courses and skip the clinical portion, I totally would; thankfully, veterinary pathologists are trained comparatively and I can get a job teaching med students. If I teach 'em, I can take the courses for free, I just won't get the degree that goes with. =] It'd be fascinating to compare pathophys in all of our other species to humans, though.

Up until this summer I was thinking about going into Broadcast Journalism, and so was majoring in Communications.  As a former actor, I started getting scared I was jumping from one unstable industry to another, so I'm now a double major in Communications/Political Science.  I'm not sure where all of this will lead, but once I moved away from the Broadcasting it felt best to leave college with broader knowledge/options. 

1 hour ago, Back to Avalon said:

I majored in history, but a bachelor's in the subject didn't get me anywhere. The only jobs I managed to get after college were ones that didn't require a college degree. If you want to make history your career, I strongly recommend keeping your grades up and going to graduate school to become a professor, teacher, museum curator, etc. History can be a good background for a career in a different but related field, like law, ministry, and probably others. There are probably a lot of things you can do with it, but my best advice is plan of going to grad school, no matter what you want to do with history.

That's what I'm afraid of. 😬 I love history, but I'm not sure what I'd be able to attain with the degree. Everyone I mention it to asks me if I want to be a professor. That's why I've also thought of studying it as a minor, and majoring in English as I'd planned.

Also, everyone's responses are really interesting so far. 😊

3 hours ago, Gareki said:

I'm curious: do you have a career mindset?

I have two in mind. I do not want to teach though, I don't think I could put up with half the people I see in History classes.

1) Museum Work: I love talking History, all parts of history to anyone who will listen and be interested. I love trying to make it interesting for the listeners, relating it all together with whatever they themselves enjoy. If I could be like a question-answering machine for random historical information that would be great! I also live close to D.C. so there are tons of history museums and national parks there.

2) I like taking History to solve problems to present-day events. I have plans on top of plans for solving major global problems (think Israel-Palestine conflict, underdevelopment in Africa, etc.). The only way I can translate this into a job though would seem to be a think-tank. Maybe some foreign policy think-tank or something that deals with global issues like an NGO or maybe some international institution.

I probably have not given it enough thought. If I have to get a masters or doctors degree to achieve what I want to achieve I am not at all adverse to that at all, honestly my adviser says I should that whole concept of going for a doctors stresses me out right now, I will take it as it comes I guess.

firewallflower

I'm in my first year of college, majoring in music, which has been insanely intense but also wonderful so far. I'm also interested in a number of other subjects and considering a minor and/or additional major from a range of areas of interest, including Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, and Anthropology. I plan on taking more classes before making a firm decision, however. My ongoing challenge with these sorts of things has always been a) I'm notoriously indecisive and b) I find everything interesting (pretty much—I'm definitely not oriented towards math and physical sciences, however), which makes it difficult to determine what I find interesting enough to want to put that much energy, time, and money into studying. (Perhaps I should really be majoring in generalism. 😉) So we'll see what happens.

And then, the other unfortunate catch is that I still have little to no idea of what in the world I want to do in the long run in terms of a career/life, so... *deep breath and does not have an anxiety attack* 😶

"Business Information Technology" (Effectively 50% economics, 50% computer science)

--> From what I use now on a day to day basis for my job, the computer science lectures were the only relevant part.

However, the economics parts were the more interesting ones for me, so no regrets! :D

That being said, the US government does not recognize my degree as a college degree (as it was only 3 years rather than 4), so depending on your definition I also might not have attended any institution classifying as a college :D

I'm in my 5th semester of uni and studying biology :)

My associates is in Computer Science

My bachelors is in Computer Information Technology

I'm debating getting a masters, but if I want to teach the majority of my masters credits need to be in the area where I'm planning on teaching and I'm not sure teaching is for me so masters a little undecided 

I'm going to uni soon, and I'm still not sure what I want. I'm thinking about graphic design or art history. I studied graphic design for past 4 years and that's what I want to do, but I love art history and I feel like I won't have another chance

Ecosystem Science and Sustainability!

If you are trying to decide, it is helpful to look up what jobs the major generally leads to. Then think about which major leads to the kind of jobs you would be most interested in doing in the future (or pay the best lol).

Psychology and American Sign Language. I want to be a psychologist for the Deaf and LGBT+ communities!

I was a physics major - back when that involved the mysteries of inclined planes and other new inventions....

I've enjoyed a career working at the boundary of engineering and physics. 

Violin Performance and Music Business! (Currently in the middle of my second year and I just added music business last semester after dropping music education)

Emily Dialga Watson

I'm currently majoring in English literature and language, and would also like to go in for creative writing when I've finished.

I think the UK system works differently but I'm in my second year doing Maths

I’m a psychology major with a minor in child and family development!  I am also planning to go to graduate school when I graduate.  I am in my third year now 

Archived