As Nature Intended

Tyger Songbird

Tyger Songbird

I'm sorry, but I get so confused as to how sex can possibly be natural at all. A lot of people who overall look at asexuals have a hard time thinking, "How can this be anywhere near natural?" Well, for me, sex is the thing that's unnatural, really! I don't understand how sex can really be natural, or how that act is something that every human being is somehow required to do. Sex is in no way a natural thing. How is this act something as nature intended? Everyone tries to convince me that it's perfect and wonderful, but I just can't see it that way. What's wrong with me then that I can't see what others do? The only thing I see is a lifetime of being alone with my dog, because there's no way I could dare do that. How could I possibly date with the world being sexual is beyond me. Maybe that's just as nature intended.

Try and change my mind.

I won't try to change your mind. I'll just say:
Everyone is different, and what is natural to them is unique to them.
We are all in a sense, as nature intended.
Even if nature was pretty cruel sometimes...

Let me preface this the fact that I am asexual and even a bit disgusted about sexual activity. However, most advanced life forms on the planet (yes, even plants) use sexual reproduction. It IS natural by the definition of natural

natural (năchˈər-əl, năchˈrəl)►
adj.    Present in or produced by nature: a natural pearl.
adj.    Of, relating to, or concerning nature: a natural environment.
adj.    Conforming to the usual or ordinary course of nature: a natural death.

Now, sex is totally bizarre to me. I have often thought that sexual reproduction is proof positive against "intelligent design". Seriously, if I were to be standing next to the creator of the universe and was being shown developments and it said "look bisexual reproduction" we have two parts of a species and one will fling a part of its genetic material at the other which will then produce the next generation. My response would have been "you are shittin me, right? That has to be the dumbest thing anyone has ever  conceived of"

but the fact that I find it nasty and strange does not make it against the natural order of things.

Some sexuals tend to find it unnatural to not want sex.

Some asexuals find it unnatural to want sex.  

Most people can understand that diferences in feeling between people don't mean that one or the other is wrong.  

There's nothing to change your mind about.  

RoseGoesToYale

I don't believe nature intended anything. It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants, regardless of whether it follows its own rules or not.

We could argue that nature intended humans to have sex, based on the presence of genitals, but that's our human interpretation of nature, almost personifying nature as an entity that gives meaning to biology. The ability to have sex could just be a giant coincidence that some people use that just so happens to be quite useful in creating new humans. Maybe it's as natural as it is unnatural. Just because there's a carrot growing in the garden doesn't mean the bunny has to go and gobble it up. He could, because carrots can be used for that, but he doesn't ever have to.

Nature isn't always a pretty glamorous thing.  Poop is natural.

Honestly I don't think I can make an effective argument, given what I'd be trying to work with here. And also my complete lack of interest in trying. If it's not natural to you, that's fine. Saying it's not natural as a whole is ludicrous.

firewallflower

The key point to keep in mind here, I think, is that something can be natural without being natural to you (or to me, or to any other given person out there).

As has been said (and as I'm sure you've already heard too many times—or at least, I know I've heard it too many times :P), sexual activity is by definition "natural," in that it occurs throughout nature, without (generally speaking, at least 😏) being artificially produced. And, bewildering as it may seem to you and me (note that I write this as someone who is fairly sex-averse/repulsed myself, as well as being—so far as I can tell—asexual), the vast majority of our fellow humans do indeed find sex completely natural, not to mention appealing... which, again, suggests that, in terms of its innate existence, sex itself is indeed very "natural".

This does not, however, mean that sex is natural to every human in existence—asexuality, of course, being evidence of this. To me, the concept of sex seems odd, if not outright disturbing, and were I ever to engage in it, I fear it would feel like an extremely forced, "unnatural" experience. There are many other people out there who feel the same way, or similarly. That doesn't mean sex isn't natural. It doesn't mean sexual people aren't natural. And it doesn't mean asexual people aren't natural. All it means is that we're different, and different things come naturally to different people... which is absolutely fine. Each of us have a unique nature (if you'll forgive the wording).

I won't get into the whole debate as to whether nature ever "intended" anything in particular—but suffice to say, if nature intended sexual people to have sex, then it only stands to reason that nature also intended for asexual people to not have sex. (Why, after all, would nature screw up on that one little point, if everything else evolved "as intended"? 😃) You're by no means obligated to have sex, to want sex, or even to understand sex (as far as I can tell, it's one of those things that it is incredibly difficult, if not outright impossible, to "understand" if you've never experienced the desire). I have no reason to try to change your mind on your personal feelings on sex.

I'd say the important thing is to differentiate between sex, in and of itself, being an inherently natural phenomenon, as opposed to the "naturalness" of it to individuals. To any extent, we humans all seem to have a tendency to assume that things that appear "unnatural" to us are also "unnatural" in essence (and vice versa), and that simply isn't the case much of the time.

Sex is natural to the extent that there are very few species that reproduce without it. However it is not something every member of the species does, either because they're not equipped to, such as some members of large insect colonies, or never get the opportunity to, such as the weaker members of a primate colony. 

In most species sex is simply procreative, but in others such as dolphins, bonobos and humans sex is also a pleasure activity or form of social bonding. 

Hence it can be seen that both sexuality and asexualality occur outside humanity 

My point of view is that we humans simply cannot compare ourselves to other life forms on earth.This is due to the simple fact that humans have something called consciousness(for lack of a better word). Animals are simply slaves to their body and its needs, whereas humans have a mind, reasoning, morals and ethics. For example, rape is a very natural thing in the animal community, but not so in human society. Polygamy is also the norm in most animal species, but frowned upon by humans. Hence, something cannot be natural to humans just because it is the norm for animals. Asexuals have a different mind that is simply not interested in sex. Asexuals can get aroused just the same as sexuals, but they don't attach it to a person or wish to act upon it. This is natural to us.

That said, there are documented cases of asexual animals, so asexuality is probably quite natural in the animal kingdom as well. 

I would advise you to not think too much into this and accept yourself as you are. And you could very well find an asexual partner, so don't give up hope. 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

@tygersongbird It's OK to not want or dislike sex but you still have to face the fact that it's a natural function in terms of keeping life existent. None of us would be here without the biological urge to reproduce. It's a basic code to prevent extinction in scietific terms. Sexual acts as such are not uncommen or unatural but highly overrated by society.

My point of view is that we humans simply cannot compare ourselves to other life forms on earth.This is due to the simple fact that humans have something called consciousness(for lack of a better word).

The better word you're looking for is sapience, which is more or less the step beyond sentience.

MakeupJunkie4
On 1/9/2019 at 8:25 PM, Philip027 said:

Nature isn't always a pretty glamorous thing.  Poop is natural.

THANK YOU FOR SAYING WHAT I'VE THOUGHT FOR SO LONG 😂😂😂

How long were you thinking about poop?

MakeupJunkie4
2 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

How long were you thinking about poop?

LMAO! This is actually something that crosses my mind when people say stuff about sex being natural, etc. Like yeah, but so is vomiting or going poop - and beautiful it ain't! 😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, Jenna444 said:

LMAO! This is actually something that crosses my mind when people say stuff about sex being natural, etc. Like yeah, but so is vomiting or going poop - and beautiful it ain't! 😂😂😂

But the item in question is not "Is sex beautiful/pleasant/nice" it is "Is sex natural"

MakeupJunkie4
9 minutes ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

But the item in question is not "Is sex beautiful/pleasant/nice" it is "Is sex natural"

I think so. But for the reasons you've mentioned (and I agree with)....that doesn't mean it's ideal for everyone.

1 minute ago, Jenna444 said:

I think so. But for the reasons you've mentioned (and I agree with)....that doesn't mean it's ideal for everyone.

I agree, even when I thought that I was hypersexual the idea of sex made me squeamish 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:46 PM, tygersongbird said:

I'm sorry, but I get so confused as to how sex can possibly be natural at all.

If it is demonstrated repeatedly in nature, it's natural - sex is natural. 😃

Incidentally, so is asexuality. A lot of social species rely on asexual members in order for their society to function. They both of their natural places in life!

On 1/10/2019 at 3:59 AM, lazypanda said:

My point of view is that we humans simply cannot compare ourselves to other life forms on earth.

I disagree with this adamantly. We're only different because we can overthink thing (and because we possess a crazy species narcissism) - in every other way, we're the same as our animal brethren. 😃

There's no such thing as "nature."  Nature is a word that's derived from "nat", born, as opposed to that which was divine.   Anything that a specific human being feels (including desire to have sex or not have sex) is natural.  

I hate how everybody is expected to do it. My mum told me 'everyone starts having sex sooner or later,' which made me really depressed.  I can't stand the idea of my mum imagining me have sex, ew, but that's another topic... I hate how it's being imposed on us. Is everybody having sex cause they really, really want it or cause they just want to be like everybody else?

15 hours ago, Chimeric said:

We're only different because we can overthink thing (and because we possess a crazy species narcissism) - in every other way, we're the same as our animal brethren. 

I actually heard there's a new form of neurons that is only found in humans. But, yes, we are every bit the same as animals.

10 hours ago, R_1 said:

I actually heard there's a new form of neurons that is only found in humans. But, yes, we are every bit the same as animals.

Betcha my life savings (all 10 bucks!) we find it in another species within the decade. 😃

19 hours ago, archie17 said:

Is everybody having sex cause they really, really want it or cause they just want to be like everybody else?

To be fair, most people have it because they want it, and most people want it because millenia of evolutionary programming has instructed us to reproduce. It isn't entirely our fault. 😃

It's natural to them but not to me. I've come to accept that.

Archived