African/Black History: Rarely talked about outside of Afro-history classes.

The Dryad

3 hours ago, uhtred said:

But surely the leaders of the African countries know this. In the distant past, there was limited global communication so it might have been easy for western companies to trick / deceive the African governments, but that isn't the case now.  They must understand the risks.

They understand it, but they understood it when they became indebted to the Western World also, they need to get investment from outside sources. Africa took the risk before, by becoming very indebted to the Western World, they rolled the dice and lost. Now China comes by again, asking them to roll the dice. It may no longer be the 50's but the dice are still around and Africa has not improved much since the 80's (Africa's GDP growth rate has been 0.2% from 1980 to 2010, it was only marginally better, 1.2% from 1950 to 1980).

Whether it be a private company from the West or the Government of/Government Supported by the Chinese both are interested in one thing, achieving their goals. To create wealth. Both do not care whether Africa gains or not. The autocratic leaders of Africa don't help either, think about how the USA supported Mobutu's Zaire unflinchingly, while he became a billionaire, left his country in shambles, and was brutally tyrannical. But he was Anti-Communist, allowing USA-based private companies to continue operating at the expense of the people, so the USA, and international community as a whole, accepted him and helped give huge loans to him.

The few African nations that I think will be able to survive the Chinese debt they are incurring are those that are already stable democracies, like South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana and nations with reasonably-good resources and transport already, like Mozambique, etc.

I would say Kenya and Tanzania but they have other problems and I fear they will falter.

Zambia is in particular danger, being dependent on Iron Ore, lacking the refining capabilities, and needing good transport, I seriously doubt they will be stable and reasonably democratic into the future.

DR Congo is probably a lost cause at this state, for the betterment of it's people and isolating its' problems to prevent them from spreading it should be split into at least 2 nations, one being based in Kinshasa and the other in Lubumbashi (maybe one in Kisangani too). Lubumbashi and the southern section has promise, but the DR Congo is too large and so very diverse and non-interconnected that it will probably never be stable and democratic.

Angola is effectively a one-family dictatorship with huge backing from China and Oil interests.

Zimbabwe is in a similar position to Zambia, it has the capability to industrialize but lacks the transport and stability, not even talking about democracy.

Not sure what the solution  is.  Its very difficult for a capital-starved country to grow without outside investment, but organizations that invest billions are out to get something in return. 

1 hour ago, uhtred said:

Not sure what the solution  is.  Its very difficult for a capital-starved country to grow without outside investment, but organizations that invest billions are out to get something in return. 

It's a matter of business bartering, seen who can survive without who for the longest, in my opinion if Africa wants to thrive, they have to stop selling their minerals and resources at such low prices. But I'm not sure that will work because of the wealth the West have systematically built upon Africa already, but it definitely depends on self-producing, self managing, etc. Which is also something Europe suppressed with imperalism... If everyone has been playing this game of Monopoly for hundreds of years, while taking your fair share, when you enter the game, you're going to be at a continuous disadvantage and I completely believe it's intentional.

Sure they're "investing" buildings in another continent to pollute there instead of their home and get free/cheap labor all at the expense at "the people they're helping, be grateful"😒

1 hour ago, uhtred said:

Not sure what the solution is.

Unfortunately there seems no easy solution. Economics, Politics, Environment, Stability, Democracy, Infrastructure, etc., they all interact and it seems like one big "Chicken or the Egg" problem that lacks an easy or completely satisfactory answer.

Although as The Dryad said is true, I think there are other ways also.

African Governments need to get committed leaders, ones who clean up corruption, drive forth capital projects, etc. Even if they are undemocratic but relatively benevolent for a dictator (think Ataturk).

Any formerly undeveloped country that has managed to pull itself into the 2nd or 1st world did so with at least some government intervention. Think Nasser's Egypt, China, et al., the government must take a roll, even if a side roll; it must take a roll to navigate in driving forward progress. If mining companies refuse to pay reasonably for minerals and environmental damages, threaten them with nationalization. Iran did it successfully and pulled themselves forward, yes Mossadeq was murdered by the CIA, but look what Iran got in return. I dislike the autocracy that Iran has, but standard of living has drastically improved since the days of the Shah and with improved standards of living make it easier for people to start agitating for political change. Now the African countries can not go full Communist, I am not arguing that at all, but a timely state-intervention in the economy and a good nationalization and distribution of the profits can bring huge rewards.

As much as I love Keynes and Keynesian Economics, African nations might do well to sponsor their own native industries by trade tariffs. Tariffs are horrible for developed nations (everyone from Adam Smith to Karl Marx to John Keynes to Milton Friedman agrees, and those people are all over the political spectrum) but developing ones it can be good. Sadly this would require them to not listen to the requirements put in by the World Bank, other Western Financial Institutions and the Chinese Government on their debt. At the present time I would think if they pick and choose carefully what requirements they ignore they can get away with it. Africa now has two sources of credit, the West and China, play they off each other! Get better rates and less requirements by bargaining. Maybe give the company who built the Railway for example a 25 year lease, nearly free, but regulate the prices they charge and monitor to make sure they maintain it. After it have the state take it over to run for the long term. This might get infrastructure built while in the long-run giving more benefits to the state and people rather than to investors.

Again, these are just theories and independently they will probably not work, but united with themselves and others they may be able to.

6 hours ago, Aebt said:

snip

African Governments need to get committed leaders, ones who clean up corruption, drive forth capital projects, etc. Even if they are undemocratic but relatively benevolent for a dictator (think Ataturk).

snip

This seems very difficult to do in poor countries (inside African and other places).  For some reason they tend to often attract short sighted, selfish leaders.  (maybe lack of communication and education of the populace contributes).

I travel a lot, sometimes to poor countries like Cambodia, Nepal, and Tanzania.  I go as a "wealth" tourist and it would be great if the money I spent there went to the people - but it doesn't. In many these I heard from locals that government corruption takes all the tourist money and very little gets to the people who need it. 

its too bad.  Tourism of course has its problems, but it can bring in a large amount of outside money without the sort of issues that things like Chinese industrial investing bring. 

Museums I find interesting that tell history without sugarcoating it.

Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia

jim-crow-museum-at-ferris.jpg

AAuE7mAaNIAJVl0h6h5p8ttPkkc2vtAuAnh-5l69

fceb65a6aa543fa874e933fe77af6fd4.jpg

767ef7577c0d9ac04a6a25ae134b5eec.jpg

12-lb-brightencream-600.jpg

National Memorial for Peace and Justice (Founded by the Equal Justice Initiative)

(The main exhibit are the blocks the size of coffins hung up like bodies from a lynching that display counties where a lynching took place and the names of the victims that could be found or reported; many people like to go there to find a relative's name to pay respect)

636461607814596597-170728-The-Memorial-t

Lynching-memorial.jpg?fit=768,512

AP18112846142562.jpg

042118_AD_MonumentForPeaceAndJustice_EJI

Also good ones:

America's Black Holocaust Museum

(Founded by James Cameron in 1988, the only known survivor of a lynching)

The Legacy Museum (Equal Justice Initiative): From Enslavement to Mass Incarceration

Black Societies

51LG+-iiiKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(The group that was originally described as W.E.B. Dubois' "talented tenth", most were "mulattoes" "creole" or "octaroon", who had strict rules to their society (just like any other society) called the Blue-Vein Society at times (must have skin light enough do that your veins show up blue or at times green), the Brown Paper Bag rule (skin must be the same color or lighter than a brown paper bag) and the ruler test (hair must be as straight as a ruler or let a ruler pass through)

This book mostly tells of Daniel Murray and other black people in his social group. "The elite were primed to assimilate into the cultural fabric as Americans first and people of color second. Education was a pearl of great pride, and they sent their children to the best schools—Phillips Academy, Cornell, and Harvard. They belonged to exclusive clubs, cultivated genteel manners, owned opulent homes, threw elaborate parties, dressed to the nines, and summered in special enclaves.

The rug was pulled from under all African Americans when they were betrayed by the federal government as the cost of reconciliation with the South. With their education, refinement, and accomplishments, the elite had only further to fall. In response to renewed oppression, Murray and others in his class fought back, establishing themselves as inspiring race activists."

51ruo6RnTqL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Where Margo Jefferson tells of growing up in black society (born in 1947), where the mother and father drove strict messages into her head about black upper class representation, and experiencing both privilege and under privilege simultaneously as well as her experiences in black society (Jack and Jill, Alpha Kappa Alphas and other sororities in the Divine Nine, as well as the Links, and etc.)

Seneca Village (the history of how Central Park came to be)

400px-Seneca_Village-Central_Park-Nyc.gi

Founded around 1825 when free blacks began to buy up the land and invited others such as Germans ,Irish, and Native Americans to live with them. Talks of a public centralized park began and people who wanted the land began to describe Seneca Village as "a shanty town filled with squatters and criminals", the landowners fought to keep their land, but it was razed and "they were offered $2,335".

Black Wall Street and other "Black Wall Streets"

black-wallstreet.png

IMG_2840.JPEG

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/the-other-black-wall-streets-1823010812/amp

The Black Economy (what is was and why it's the way it is now)

The day before Dr. King was killed, he gave the "I've been the the Mountaintop" speech, which spoke of the racial inequality and biblical references that is known of MLK, but what's not talked about it he told of methods of economic independence and security.

Now, if you are not prepared to do that, we do have an agenda that we must follow. And our agenda calls for withdrawing economic support from you."

And so, as a result of this, we are asking you tonight, to go out and tell your neighbors not to buy Coca-Cola in Memphis. Go by and tell them not to buy Sealtest milk. Tell them not to buy -- what is the other bread? -- Wonder Bread. And what is the other bread company, Jesse? Tell them not to buy Hart's bread. As Jesse Jackson has said, up to now, only the garbage men have been feeling pain; now we must kind of redistribute the pain.

We are choosing these companies because they haven't been fair in their hiring policies; and we are choosing them because they can begin the process of saying they are going to support the needs and the rights of these men who are on strike. And then they can move on town -- downtown and tell Mayor Loeb to do what is right.

But not only that, we've got to strengthen black institutions. I call upon you to take your money out of the banks downtown and deposit your money in Tri-State Bank. We want a "bank-in" movement in Memphis. Go by the savings and loan association. I'm not asking you something that we don't do ourselves at SCLC. Judge Hooks and others will tell you that we have an account here in the savings and loan association from the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

We are telling you to follow what we are doing. Put your money there. You have six or seven black insurance companies here in the city of Memphis. Take out your insurance there. We want to have an "insurance-in."

Now these are some practical things that we can do. We begin the process of building a greater economic base. And at the same time, we are putting pressure where it really hurts. I ask you to follow through here.

Now, let me say as I move to my conclusion that we've got to give ourselves to this struggle until the end.

-excerpt from MLK's "I've been to the Mountaintop" speech.

It's long been said that black people sacrificed what little economic power they had for civil rights/human rights; the Black owned groceries, general stores, farmers, insurance companies, butchers, bakeries, and etc. are all gone now, replaced by Asian owned black hair beauty supplies, Hispanic groceries, and products specifically targeted to black people and bought by mostly black people are companies that don't support the Black community (hair relaxers owned by L'Oreal, Hennessy alcohol, etc.), the price of assimilation.

Our Black Year-Maggie Anderson

51VX6OtCpHL._AC_SY400_.jpg

This project and book is by Maggie Anderson (former aide to John Lewis), as her family experienced financial success, she wanted to empower black communities and families and study other community's buying power (Jewish, Italian, Hispanic, Chinese, etc.)

It’s all right to talk about “long white robes over yonder,” in all of its symbolism. But ultimately people want some suits and dresses and shoes to wear down here! It’s all right to talk about “streets flowing with milk and honey,” but God has commanded us to be concerned about the slums down here, and his children who can’t eat three square meals a day. It’s all right to talk about the new Jerusalem, but one day, God’s preacher must talk about the new New York, the new Atlanta, the new Philadelphia, the new Los Angeles, the new Memphis, Tennessee. This is what we have to do.

Now the other thing we’ll have to do is this: Always anchor our external direct action with the power of economic withdrawal. Now, we are poor people. Individually, we are poor when you compare us with white society in America. We are poor. Never stop and forget that collectively — that means all of us together — collectively we are richer than all the nations in the world, with the exception of nine. Did you ever think about that? After you leave the United States, Soviet Russia, Great Britain, West Germany, France, and I could name the others, the American Negro collectively is richer than most nations of the world. We have an annual income of more than thirty billion dollars a year, which is more than all of the exports of the United States, and more than the national budget of Canada. Did you know that? That’s power right there, if we know how to pool it.

We don’t have to argue with anybody. We don’t have to curse and go around acting bad with our words. We don’t need any bricks and bottles. We don’t need any Molotov cocktails. We just need to go around to these stores, and to these massive industries in our country, and say, “God sent us by here, to say to you that you’re not treating his children right. And we’ve come by here to ask you to make the first item on your agenda fair treatment, where God’s children are concerned. Now, if you are not prepared to do that, we do have an agenda that we must follow. And our agenda calls for withdrawing economic support from you.”

- excerpt from "I've been to the Mountaintop", Dr. Martin Luther King 

Miss_Bookworm

It's so cool to see things like this a. just as straight-up facts and b. in general.

In school, we only learn about American History for the most part, but I remember in 6th grade we learned about a bunch of other cultures and histories from around the world and that was probably one of my favorite classes.

I can't wait till next year when I can take world history and learn more about stuff like this!

Sorry if this off-topic😁

@Miss_Bookworm thanks, it's for that reason you mentioned that I started this thread, and another reason is because I've experienced some very... ignorant people and attitudes on AVEN , and because it was on AVEN, then I must post the facts on AVEN.

Haiti (reasons why the economy is historically poor)

***Haiti is famous for it's slave revolt that made it the first black ruled government in the west- but from what I know, some Polish people also helped fight with the revolution and they also became ironically black.

Many people are not taught in history classes that Haiti had an external debt to France from 1893 up until 1947 (Restitution and Reparations of 90,000,000F- 150,000,000F, which translates to billions of USD in today's money)

Sticker_demanding_reparations_for_Haiti,

Another thing that isn't regularly taught is that Haiti was/is an ignored country in the West- it was stigmatized and obviously other countries did not want to trade fairly with them, so they often entered predatory deals to keep the economy alive, for basic survival, not thriving. If you're not thriving economically, you can't improve infrastructure, schools, etc. 

To give you another perspective, Haiti was once the richest colony in the West, these slaves and former slaves were skilled in architecture, farmering, etc.

U.S. occupancy (re-enforced slavery)

In 1915, the U.S. spread propaganda about Haiti, and invaded the country, changed the economy and laws to what will benefit the U.S. (and other countries), and abused people of the country. Occupancy ended around 1934.

The CIA involved itself 1991 with the Haitian president of that time, and the U.S. also invaded Haiti in 1994 and 2004. The U.S. sponsed a U.N. "intervention" if you will, that kept corrupt and unpopular presidents and introduced cholera for the first time (killing around 10,000 people in biological warfare)

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/magazine/the-uns-cholera-admission-and-what-comes-next.html

2010, the earthquake, and Hillary Clinton and the Clinton foundation, and charities.

The Clinton foundation came in to Haiti to exploit and steal funds, in which she and her well-to-do friends and family systematically... didn't do much of anything and forged that they did in order to warrant the "spending" of the money. Charities often raise quite a bit of money as well, but more often than not, the people who really need that money, don't get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/posteverything/wp/2018/01/12/this-is-how-ignorant-you-have-to-be-to-call-haiti-a-shithole/

Black industriousness. Part one.

(Black slave inventions, white Master patents, and black Craftsmanship (Architecture, welding, etc.) learned from white Masters and improved upon)

The patent. We're taught whoever patented it first, must have invented it, right? Wrong. (Usually)

https://theconversation.com/amp/americas-always-had-black-inventors-even-when-the-patent-system-explicitly-excluded-them-72619

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/with-patents-or-without-black-inventors-reshaped-american-industry-180962201/

BENJAMIN_BANNEKER_-_ASTRONOMER-CITY_PLAN

I believe my U.S. history class might have taught me about Benjamin Benneker, but I don't remember him being described to me as a black Freedman who was a brilliant mathematician and astronomer...

*(...but rather just another person, and one of those reasons might be the Daughters of the Confederacy and their control of textbooks, but I'm not going to speculate.)

Benneker is rare because he actually gets government recognition and credit.

Buildings that slaves built

https://www.theroot.com/6-historic-structures-in-america-that-were-built-by-sla-1790856172/amp

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/white-house-was-fact-built-slaves-180959916/

Major universities, The White House, the U.S. capital, many monuments, railroads, Wall Street, etc.

Black Enslavement by Native Americans. (Yes, victims can do horrific things too), and how some white people bought tribal membership for $5.

People will often scoff at black people (more than white people, especially with the Pocohantas clause, more on that later) when they say " I'm Cherokee" or "Creek", especially when DNA tests come back and prove they have little to no native American ancestry, so are they lying? Not exactly, truth is Native Americans (especially the biggest tribes) had black slaves, and they also raped and had children with those slaves, but many black slaves also considered themselves of the tribes, as well as the white people who were with them, and they all traveled together and suffered together under the Trail of Tears- but the end of slavery left people with Dawes Rolls ancestry (rather than DNA ancestry) and titles like "Cherokee Freedman" or "Creek Freedman". (Example: Sarah Rector, Creek Freedman, listed as white because of her tribal wealth)

220px-Freedmen.jpg

It's been rather recent that a judge ruled to have Cherokee Freedmen recognized as a part of the tribes, which was televised, and gained some exposure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/15/im-a-descendant-of-the-cherokee-nations-black-slaves-tribal-citizenship-is-our-birthright/

America's first Black Wall Street Millionaire, "The Prince of Darkness", stock broker.

Jeremiah G. Hamilton

S4kG_TZg_400x400.png

114409167_1390755377.jpg

Born in Haiti, he migrated to the U.S. by stowaway on a ship with counterfeit coins. He amassed his fortune by being ruthless and sometimes unwise in the face of white supremacy. In his boldness, he also had a white wife that had him even more hated in the industry he worked in, and he was almost lynched if not for his quick thinking. By the time of his death, he amassed ~2 million dollars, which some say would be about $250,000,000 in 2018.

Madame C.J. Walker, hair care, her house, civil rights, and her modern revival.

The first female millionaire

madame-cj-walker-9522174-1-402.jpg

layerslider-madamewalker-vegeableshampoo

Born Sarah Breedlove, she amassed her fortune by teaching and selling black hair care products,( especially ones that would help with assimilation.)

Villa Lewaro

800px-Villa-lewaro_crop.jpg

Villa_Lewaro_1576_crHistoricNewEngland_D

Designed as an Italian mansion by a black architect , Vertner Woodson Tandy, for Madame C.J. Walker, named by Enrico Caruso for Walker's daughter, A'Lelia Walker.

Was at one point named the Anne E. Poth home

Madame C.J. Walker was also a major player in the early pre-civil rights movement with black upward mobility, meeting with DuBois, and lending her house as a meeting place for the NAACP and other black organizations and charities.

Fredrick Patterson, the Patterson-Greenfield automobile, Greenfield Bus Body Company

The first black automobile manufacturer and later bus company.

The_C.R._Patterson_&_Sons_Company_Patter

The C.R. Patterson & Sons Company was a carriage building firm, and the first African American-owned automobile manufacturer. The company was founded by Charles Richard Patterson, who was born into slavery in April 1833 on a plantation in Virginia.

I can attest to the point that a lot of why Africa struggles is a lack of strong leadership. The developing African countries like Nigeria, South Africa and the like show great potential for growth but are being held back by corruption and political tensions. There are countless programmes within the countries to address the poverty levels, time and time again plans are made for economic growth over five years, ten years, twenty years but because of the corruption the money to fund those projects end up in the wrong hands and the income gap between the upper classes and the lower classes. The government and population are more concerned with the internal social struggles and less so with the country's global position. The debt being wracked up to China and to the West is a lesser concern when you're aware of the debt the government is wracking up within itself. 

The lack of industry and infrastructure is also a lot of the time due to corruption. The money that is supposed to be going into the secondary sector is going into politician's pockets. (This may sound like generalising but it's pretty evident.) There's a whole lot of attention paid to service delivery and again the money doesn't get there. There's a huge emphasis on delivering education so the youth can be self-sufficient in ways past generations couldn't, which is good but it leaves a gap in the market for semi-skilled labour to work at secondary and tertiary levels. It also leaves a lack of young Africans who want to work or own businesses at a secondary level.

As for the mining sector, that is a very white/foreign dominated sector and Africans still haven't been empowered enough to break into it. The unfortunate truth is, black people don't own the mines yet and there's still a long way to go before Africans are financially stable enough to acquire them.

(Or anyway that's the way I've experienced the situation. Don't know if my opinion is well read enough.)

The rise of Hip-Hop, the rap game, and street gang culture, where it came from, what it was and still is notorious, and everything corrupts over time.

The Black Panther Party

(The "original" black street gang)

2-28-69%20cr2.jpg

Truth is, most black street gangs started as protection from police in black neighborhoods, and the rhetoric was always "black criminals" even when they weren't. Especially in California during the race riots, but there were groups like this everywhere but not as prominent as the Black Panthers.

Motown and hip hop, jive talk and rap ("hey let's rap (talk)), spoken word and master of ceremony (MCs)

It is said that rap is a take on the literally definition of the word with African oral history passed down from Egypt, West Africa to the Americas, but we do know that jive speak and other talking games are where rap was born in the 60s in ghettos, but fast, rhyme speaking is present in black communities and song in earlier times. The underground movement took off in the 80s with mixed tapes and overwriting of tapes, and eventually it spread to white communities and culture and became mainstream.

Modern Hip-Hop

Bleed out with internal and external corruption, and blatant disrespect, a tired generation who realizes that America will never give what is owed to the Black community, so they have to take it, through drugs or otherwise. You will still find echoes of the past sampled in the music and the same knowledgeable rebellious spirit.

(Migos, Soul Train parody)

***(Rap "beef" between Pusha T and Drake, inspired Jay-Z to get involved in with he parodied Pusha T, and they both sample Nina Simone, who you can see in Jay-Z's Story of OJ animation "Four Women" Nina Simone, "my skin is black")

Even if you don't like hip hop you have to recognize that people who are given lemons in life make lemonade and prosper.

The Atlantic Slave Trade/Chattel Slavery: The Fallacy of "Black" people selling other "Black" people, and a comparison...

Tribalism runs deep everywhere, before racism, there was always tribalism and propaganda spreads against other tribes of people, and you find evidey if it all over Africa, Europe , Asia, and the Americas. Slavery has always existed as well, but never before in a way that Chattel slavery did- but always in a state of some respect, for the most part across the world. In Africa, still to this day, people with the same skin color do not feel any relation to groups of the same skin color who are of a different tribe, and if both agree that you are not the same people- then you would have no problem selling out "others" of a different group.

To put it in perspective, how did the Greeks feel about other white people? There was racist propaganda spread about "classic barbarian" European tribes similarly to how Jim Crow spread propaganda for black people. 

Truly, in reality, Europeans kidnapped whole villages of people- nobles and peasants alike, stealing anything valuable that they liked as they went, disregarding people are human, which you find evidence all over the world for the Philippines, India, the Americas, Africa, etc.

( Watch time: 3:00-4:30)

(Watch time @7:00- the history of black presence in Europe)

before @7:00  is a breakdown in untruth in general world history and the effects on the psyche of black children especially and the perpetuation of racist beliefs, etc.

(Centre of Pan African Thought)

A casual lecture by Charles S. Finch III, MD. (And his daughter)

There is some touches of mythology, especially Greek and Roman mythology, but most of historical- Dr. Finch is known for his research on Egypt (but I didn't post anything about his research here because I'm tired of talking about Egypt), but his overall understanding of Africa is awe inspiring. I recommend watching the full video, but it's also very long. (~30 minutes)

Lies and truths: Africans are illiterate, they didn't know how to read or write before someone more intelligent taught them.

The lie: Africans (especially West Africans) were illiterate, reading and writing came with Arabs and the spread of Islam.

The truth: West Africa had a sacred writing system, some for common use and some for sacred use that priests used.

Nsibidi (Igbo, Nigerian)

Nsibidi.-Pinterest-e1521719448267.png

Nsibidi+names.jpg

DtbQ16QXgAUkHsz.jpg

400px-Ikpe_nsibidi.jpg

****Another interesting historical note in case you're interested, earlier, I posted about the King/Musa Abubakari Kieta II, and how it's usually recorded that he died at sea with no evidence of him surviving- but that's not exactly true. For one, when Columbus met the Taino peoples, they had already been in contact with black Africans, and secondly this mysterious Brazilian statue no one talks about.

Tablet-in-the-Brazilian-Jungle.jpg

The-Brazil-Tablet.jpg

As you can see, the script written on the statue is very similar to Nsibidi, and is still in the same time period that Abubakari Kieta II would have reached the new world. Found in the Brazilian Jungle.

Lies and truth (part two) On Illiteracy.

***Other written languages that are purely African, I excluded quite a few from Nubia/Kush/Egypt because I don't feel like arguing about the origins of these people.

Tifinagh writing system: Traditionally used by the Berbers/Moors of North Africa before the Arabization of the region.

tifinagh.gif

cc7cteb773_Tifinagh.jpg

Vai writing system- typically used by the people of the Liberia and Seirra Leone region can be found on ancient African walls in the region.

400px-Vai.gif

Ge'ez- traditional Ethiopian (previously abjad or more correctly comparable to abjad)

200px-Ethiopic_genesis.jpg

(Ethiopic Genesis, in Ge'ez)

**I also disregarded proto writing systems especially of "Egyptian descent" and a couple of other Nile culture languages out of Sudan, and etc.

The Ladies (of high standing)

*Note: I'm not going to mention Queen Sophie Charlotte or Princess Philippa of England because it's speculation at this point if they were mixed children or simply "Portuguese", but there has been some speculation on Moor blood in the English Royal family.

Sarah Forbes Bonetta

(Nigerian Princess of Yoruba tradition, God daughter to Queen Victoria)

220px-Sarah_Davies_(n%C3%A9e_Forbes_Bone

170px-A_portrait_of_James_Pinson_Labulo_

TMC_PF_CDV_0037.jpg

Originally meant to be an ironic gift to the Queen as a slave, instead Queen Victoria felt pity for the princess and raised her and had her tutored properly where she was a brilliant student and a favorite. She eventually married a well-to-do noble Nigerian business man.

Dido Elizabeth Belle

300px-Dido_Elizabeth_Belle.jpg

belle011.jpg?w=640&h=415&crop=1

Made famous because of the 2013 film, Dido was born to an affair her father had with a Caribbean slave, but almost unheard of- he actually cared for his child and sent her to live with his family when her mother died. She was particularly close to her cousin Lady Elizabeth Murray. Dido's role was strange, even though she was being raised to be a free gentlewoman, she also felt the pressure of being black and different but also better than the slaves (help), as you can see, her hair was covered and her dress plain, in the original portrait, but the feather and pearl necklace spoke of her status.

(Extra: I thought it was a cute scene and an important moment because of how black girls are taught to care for their hair differently)

Black Cowboys 

*Note because I live in Texas and don't live too far from the historic Black Rodeo, I feel like I should know more than I do naturally but, sadly I don't.

From what we know, around 25% of all cowboys, whether in the Old West or in Texas and Oklahoma were black.

*(In general, the casting population of Western shows should have shown many more black, Hispanic, Native American and Chinese populations)

Bass Reeves

220px-BassReeves.jpg

Bass Reeves was the first black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi River. He worked mostly in Arkansas and the Oklahoma Territory. During his long career, he was credited with arresting more than 3,000 felons. He shot and killed 14 outlaws in self-defense.

It's been suggested that Westerns like 'The Lone Ranger' and others were based off of the legacy of Bass Reeves, made white for consumers, but there's no proof of that.

Nat Love

220px-Natlove2.jpg

was an African-American cowboy and former slave in the period following the American Civil War. His exploits have made him one of the most famous black heroes of the Old West. In his exploits, he also met other legends like Billy the Kid.

Jesse Stahl

glasseye.jpg?w=840

A black rodeo star and cowboy whose saddle riding and performance is still remembered.

Lies: "The only people who were taken were prisoners of the Africans who sold Europeans slaves"

Ayuba Suleiman Diallo (aka: Job ben Solomon)

487px-William_Hoare_of_Bath_-_Portrait_o

(Portrait by William Hoare of Bath, of Ayuba Suleiman Diallo)

Born into African nobility of Fulani/Fulbe/Fula in Bundu, Senegal and childhood friends with the heir to the throne to the Kingdom of Futa -Toro.

Originally, it is said he was selling slaves to Europeans when he was kidnapped. He was bought and put to work in tobacco fields, until he was found unsuitable, then he was put in charge of cattle until he ran away from being humiliated. He was caught and brought before a court where it was discovered he was no commoner and was extremely intelligent. Coincidentally, another slave who spoke his language translated that he was of noble blood and permitted him to write a letter to his father to send for him. His letter reached the Royal African Company and he was purchased again and learned English. He eventually earned his freedom and worked as a translator and scribe. In 1734, he was freely returned to Gambia and he made his way home. Then he was arrested by the French, and returned again in 1738. His memoirs are also famous.

Tracing migration patterns: West and South African tribes who have oral histories of originating elsewhere (East Africa, the cradle of civilization)

The Soninke people (from Aswan, Egypt)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soninke_people

Claim to have fled because of the fall of the Nile and invasions of foreigners.

The Balanta people

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanta_people

Claim that they migrated from the regions of Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia because of droughts and wars.

The Songhai people

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_people

Speak Nilo-Saharan languages, have written history that attests to them being present in the region and have experience with working for the Pharaohs of Egypt.

Bamileke people

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamileke_people

Semi-Bantu, also have descended from ancient isrealites and speak a language that stems from ancient Egypt.

*Note: It was really interesting to learn about these groups of people, especially when history says Egyptians weren't originally black Africans, but especially learning about how closely interconnected humans in general are, I always suspected it, but never thought there was some proof to some West Africans coming from the Nile region.

Medical Experimentation and Neglect (on Slaves, Freed blacks and modern day black people in the Americas, with a focus on the U.S.)

The Father of Modern Gynecology, James Marion Sims

anarcha3-67b6293f378c18ebc2ce5215ba6dab6

2017-08-19T183343Z_1244753185_RC1F27A0DA

Experimented on slave women like (Anarcha, Lucy, and Betsy) and black children without painkillers and often using cruel methods and racist ideals to justify his treatment and surgical methods. His statue was taken down recently after many protests like the one above.

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/the-father-of-modern-gynecology-performed-shocking-experiments-on-slaves

The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment 

20160524_182651_663632_grw_tuskegeeblog_

The Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male was an infamous and unethical clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 by the U.S. Public Health Service.

The Public Health Service started working on this study in 1932 in collaboration with Tuskegee University, a historically black college in Alabama. Investigators enrolled in the study a total of 600 impoverished, African-American sharecroppers from Macon County, Alabama. Of these men, 399 had previously contracted syphilis before the study began, and 201 did not have the disease.[2] The men were given free medical care, meals, and free burial insurance for participating in the study. The men were told that the study was only going to last six months, but it actually lasted 40 years.[2] After funding for treatment was lost, the study was continued without informing the men that they would never be treated. None of the men were ever told that they had the disease, and none were treated with penicillin even after the antibiotic was proven to successfully treat syphilis. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the men were told that they were being treated for "bad blood", a colloquialism that described various conditions such as syphilis, anemia, and fatigue. "Bad blood"—specifically the collection of illnesses the term included—was a leading cause of death within the southern African-American community.

Hela cells (Henrietta Lacks cells)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPRacdFIY8m6GPsC2xGbi

Henrietta-Lacks+%25282%2529-thumb-400xau

HeLa cells are a group of immortal cells taken without consent from Henrietta Lacks from her cervical cancer cells.

Scientists have used HeLa cells to develop the polio vaccine; they have gone into space and have been exposed to nuclear testing and to toxins. The cells have furthered our understanding of cancer, HIV/AIDS and cells in general, and are still widely used today to grow viruses and to test anti-tumour medicines.

Haiti and the U.S. induced cholera outbreak of 2010

17mag-cholera-1-facebookJumbo.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/world/americas/united-nations-haiti-cholera.amp.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-21546868/un-says-it-will-not-pay-compensation-to-haiti-cholera-victims

Conspiracy theories (cannot be proven)

*The Negro Project, Black Genocide, Margaret Sanger, Planned Parenthood (conspiracy theory)

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2002/feb/8/20020208-035607-4225r/

*Was crack really introduced to black neighborhoods by the CIA?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Alliance

Who gave the African continent it's name? Was it Spicio Africanus? The Arabs? Or did Africa already have a name for itself?

Sometimes false history like to rear it's ugly head and give conquerors more powerful than they actually were, and for some time it was believed that Spicio Africanus named Africa, but in truth his name was taken after his invasion meaning that he took on a name he already knew. Another popular origin story is that the Arabs gave Africa the name of Alkebulan "land of the blacks", and Hoteps (lol) like to throw around that name as the oldest, however, the oldest name for Africa....is Africa, or more likely Afruika. Which is said to be Egyptian, but you see the name translated from many other regions as well.

A conference/lecture (20 minutes)

By Charles S. Finch III MD, from the 90s in which he makes a strong claim that the region known as the Middle East today was an extension of Africa civilizations and cultures and that Africa is the birth place of ancient Judaism and Christianity.

Archived