African/Black History: Rarely talked about outside of Afro-history classes.

The Dryad

Since I started the whole Egyptology thread, it's been in my mind to start another thread- about the most destroyed, demonized, stolen, ignored and denied history in the world, and how can we as humans completely discount a portion of human history because "it doesn't fit a narrative" (of imperialist lies, essentially), or "it doesn't have enough evidence", because quite a bit is lost, or buried in sands, or was destroyed or stolen in wars or during imperalism.

But unlike the skepticism of Egypt overall, I want to only post things that are "hard facts" which is fairly loose in general considering the hard evidence and circumstances.

But I'm looking for things in fairly modern history (argued to be 1492, when Columbus sailed the ocean blue, to 1812ish?) And especially post-modern history and ancient history....and medieval history.

Do if you know something, especially rare stuff, please post!

Informal Sources: (To be updated, as the conversation expands)

"Medieval POC blog, Tumblr, Twitter"

https://mobile.twitter.com/medievalpoc?lang=en

"African Kings by James C. Lewis" (artist renditions)

African American Registry

You know how slaves invented things, but weren't allowed to own anything (or claim ownership), if a slave created something, the credit went to the master, which is what happened with Jack Daniel's whiskey (and a lot of other things people refuse to admit)

https://unclenearest.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_"Nearest"_Green

At least his legacy gets recognized, even if his descendants don't get the generational wealth that Jack Daniel's family did.

Not sure if this fits here - There was Ibn Battuta, a Muslim from Morocco who traveled extensively in the 1300s (by the western calendar).

Then there were a number of Saharan and sub-Saharan kingdoms and empires that had big impacts in their day, from Kush and Punt to Mali and Songhai to Great Zimbabwe.

@daveb yes, this is what I'm looking for, essentially, but a bit more rare facts. :)

3 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

@daveb yes, this is what I'm looking for, essentially, but a bit more rare facts. :)

I'm afraid I have had little education on it myself. :( 

The Mali Empire

Everyone knows about Mansa Musa, who is/was known as the world's richest person until present day era, the King who went around destabilizing economies of the countries he traveled through

Kankan-Moussa-Mali-empire.jpg

The-History-of-the-Mali-Empire.jpg?fit=9

(Artist renditions of Mansa Musa)

And the legacy of Timbuktu

230px-Great_Mosque_of_Djenn%C3%A9_1.jpg

(Great Mosque of Djenne)

47595b99883fc7f99d2d8b4a7bc989ec--mali-e

mali-11.jpg

But I've never heard, until recently of the King before Mansa Musa, Abu Bakr II (Abubakari Keita II), who abdicated his throne to sail to the west, and is recorded as lost at sea.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8hqxCZ4YeN2O-LwiC1rH

Exploration 

Two of the most interesting native born black Africans who were explorers were

Estevanico, Esteban the Moor, Mustafa Azemmouri

estevanico.jpg

He is often credited with being the first black man in the New World. While he was acting as a guide during exploration, the group was attacked by many groups of Natives, in which Estevanico escaped, and became, or rather "became" a respected medicine man, and different groups of Natives would accompany him to the next village, until he was killed by a hostile group of Natives.

And

Juan Garrido

Juan-Garrido-300x300.jpg

Who is especially special because he was a free man, who migrated of his own free will to Spain, and became a conquistador under Ponce de Leon, (and others) and was the first to farm wheat in "The New World" Mexico, where he settled. (It can be suspected that history hasn't whitewashed him because he wrote a letter to the Spanish royalty, where he bares his name and black skin in written word.)

"I, Juan Garrido, black in color, resident of this city [Mexico], ...

Princess Yennenga

(*who should definitely have a Disney movie, just saying..)

CAtJDXDWEAATQv4.jpg

(Dagomba Princess, Mother of the Mossi Kingdom (founded by her son)).

A known warrior skilled in javelin, bows, and spears and skilled horsewoman. At age 14, she helped defeat the Malinkés and lead her own army. She was such a good warrior that her father refused to let her marry. To express her unhappiness, she planted a field a wheat, that was so fine, that her father boasted about it, but she also let it rot in the ground, to which she expressed her own likeness to that field of wheat. Her father was outraged and locked her away. One of the King's horsemen helped her disguise as a man and escape. She rode North until she was exhausted and met a elephant hunter who saw through he disguise and they fell in love. Her son created the Mossi Kingdom in Burkina Faso.

Amanirenas, of Meroitic Kush/Nubia

C7Q3mET.jpg&key=b8fe37a4c032a9c7765b80a8

(Present day Meroë, Sudan)

(Kandake/Candance)

African-queen.jpg

a5432caf87e451c4335ea19e865eae2e.jpg

amanirenas.jpg

Noted as "the brave one-eyed Queen" and known for driving out the Romans in her region.

Yasuke (also known as the Black Samurai) an African born man, likely Mozambique, but it's also contested.

12003ca3686cf51f12aa3c4ddab96bec.jpg

8b8564718c1a054eb2368113687712d0.jpg

Listed as the first foreign born Samurai (but there have also been Korean, Chinese, English, and Dutch Samurai, after him, as well as others who carried swords of foreign born statures).

He entered Japan as a slave to the Italian Jesuits, and caught the interest of Oda Nobunaga after causing a stir among civilians. Nobunaga originally thought that his skin was dyed with ink and made him strip and scrub himself. Later, it was proved that Yasuke was "as strong as 10 men", and eventually Yasuke became a Samurai.

(The anime, Afro Samurai is inspired by Yasuke)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign-born_samurai_in_Japan

Jack Johnson (1878-1946) , "Galveston Giant"

First African- American world Heavyweight

220px-Jack_Johnson_and_his_wife_Etta_LCC

jack-johnson-boxer.jpg

playboy.jpg

His boxing made him an early legend, but because he defeated "white supremacy's heroes", he was held in bitterness by the majority of the audience. He was mocked for his "love of white women" and would be racially targeted for crimes like battery, or for violating the Mann Act. He received a sentence of one year in prison for his "crimes". He died of a car crash when he was 68.

He was pardoned of his "crimes" by Donald Trump in 2018.

**Unfortunately, at the height of Jim Crow, successful black people did not escape caricature, and it's been suggested that the 1933 film "King Kong" was inspired by Johnson's giant stature, the ever famous caricature of "black people are monkeys or apes", in which Johnson is depicted as "King Kong", and his white companions are "Ann Darrow", but unfortunately, there is no true proof of this, however, the film "The Great White Hope" (1970), is based of the life of Jack Johnson and probably most accurately describes his life.

Cartoon_about_imminent_downfall_of_Jack_

black-boxers.jpg

Queen Moremi 

Nigerian Queen (Ile Ife)

maxresdefault.jpg

moremi.jpg

moremi-statue-2-e1503575754892.jpg?resiz

Like many royal families, the Yoroba Royal family claims to have descended from gods, in their case being Orisha, (the same Gods used in ancient and modern voodoo (vodun) in the Caribbean, South America, and especially Louisiana, especially using Oshun (also known as Mami Wata, a mermaid water goddess))).

Queen Moremi was known to be a legendary beauty, that she was incomparable to anyone else in her region. Her kingdom was facing some attacks from the local forest people who frightened the people of Ile Ife, thinking them venegful spirits. Queen Moremi summoned Oshun and promised that if she could invade the forest people and learn how to defeat them, she would make a very expensive sacrifice. When Queen Moremi left and let herself be captured by her enemies, the King did not want her to be a slave, but wanted to marry her because she was so beautiful. Moremi learned that the forest people's secrets were made up of dried leaves to make themselves look unnatural, and discovered that their weakness was fire. Eventually, she escaped, and returned to her kingdom, and when the forest people can again, they were prepared and drove them off. However, when it came time to pay Oshun, the only thing the goddess saw fit to take was her son, and he was lifted to live among the Orisha pantheon. The people of Ile Ife saw that their Queen was saddened by her sacrifice and declared themselves all her children from then on. Recently, there was a stature in Nigeria that was lifted to celebrate her.

The US teaches very little about anything other than US history post revolution and European history.        I don't know to what extend these days they cover slavery and the native american genocide. 

For earlier history, the focus on Europe is silly. Europe was a backwater between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.  Technology and civilization were consierably  behind China, the Islamic world and at some time messoamerica. 

1 hour ago, uhtred said:

The US teaches very little about anything other than US history post revolution and European history.        I don't know to what extend these days they cover slavery and the native american genocide. 

For earlier history, the focus on Europe is silly. Europe was a backwater between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.  Technology and civilization were consierably  behind China, the Islamic world and at some time messoamerica. 

This is true, but honestly, even in world history there was an inane focus on Europe, but thankfully we focused mostly on Mesopotamia, India, and China quite a bit too. But African history was extremely brief and overwhelming non-native, which is unbelievable and it's ridiculous you have to go to a specific Afro-studies class to learn history that in other peoples we're taught freely. Why does no one question this?

1 hour ago, The Dryad said:

This is true, but honestly, even in world history there was an inane focus on Europe, but thankfully we focused mostly on Mesopotamia, India, and China quite a bit too. But African history was extremely brief and overwhelming non-native, which is unbelievable and it's ridiculous you have to go to a specific Afro-studies class to learn history that in other peoples we're taught freely. Why does no one question this?

We know a lot about African history during the time of Islamic expansion, and of course much earlier from ancient egypt through Carthage and Roman era.   That is mostly northern and eastern Africa.  I don't know much about south-western African history. 

4 hours ago, uhtred said:

We know a lot about African history during the time of Islamic expansion, and of course much earlier from ancient egypt through Carthage and Roman era.   That is mostly northern and eastern Africa.  I don't know much about south-western African history. 

That's non-native narratives with non-native culture...but no one asks the natives about their history, which I'm sure they know because of history being passed down orally over centuries. How can you say you know African history from the lense of foreigners? You know a narrative.

It is true that with Islam that some parts of Africa built mosques/universities and libraries with Arabic and they "began to actively record" their histories, past and present....but that narrative ignores indigenous script and art that was already in the region- like they suddenly became civilized by the Arabs- which is the same racist narrative people have historically had about native African inventions- like Great Zimbabwe, the Benin Wall- foreigners, especially Europeans thought that black Africans were too primitive to have created these things and previous white people or Arabs must have created them- that's why I have been focused on solely learning about black Africans and their own creations without influence.

55 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

That's non-native narratives with non-native culture...but no one asks the natives about their history, which I'm sure they know because of history being passed down orally over centuries. How can you say you know African history from the lense of foreigners? You know a narrative.

It is true that with Islam that some parts of Africa built mosques/universities and libraries with Arabic and they "began to actively record" their histories, past and present....but that narrative ignores indigenous script and art that was already in the region- like they suddenly became civilized by the Arabs- which is the same racist narrative people have historically had about native African inventions- like Great Zimbabwe, the Benin Wall- foreigners, especially Europeans thought that black Africans were too primitive to have created these things and previous white people or Arabs must have created them- that's why I have been focused on solely learning about black Africans and their own creations without influence.

Where is the information on what I guess is pre-Islamic, sub-Saharan Africa? It it easily accessible anywhere?    Post Islam, or Mediterranean norther African there are a lot of written records so those can be recorded, translated etc.   Oral traditions are much more difficult to record.  They are also more difficult to verify: Its easy to determine that a sample of written information is original. Oral traditions can be accurate, but can also drift or be intentionally modified over time. 

So we know a fair bit about say the Maya because we have a lot of written language samples.  We know a lot less about the Cahokians because as far as I know they didn't.  That doesn't directly imply that the Cahokains were less "advanced" than the Maya, but it makes it very difficult to know much about their culture. 

There are multiple problems with why African history is shunted to the side in History classes and etc.

Firstly is racism: due to Africa's colonial history (and not particularly good showing in the post-colonial period) it allowed endemic racism to exist in the first place and allowed racism in bits to survive well past the colonial era. This is pretty self-explanatory.

Secondly is lack of availability of sources: Africans really didn't have a lot of written records, and when they did it tended to be by groups with Islamic (or in the case of Ethiopia, Christian) influence. This was compounded by the destruction of Africa's oral history by the imperialists. If the leaders did not cooperate they would kill them, if they did not just outright genocide them (looking at you Heinrich Göring, father of Hermann) or slowly kill them; all of this worked to eliminate their traditional institutions such as oral history and storytellers. Also few study African languages, making translating the scant sources we have even harder.

Third is disinterest: Not many people are as keenly aware of African history as they might be about European history. Everyone gets fired up about the Crusades but no one knows of Njinga Ndambi of Ndongo and their defeat of the Portuguese. Culturally one is significant while the other is not. People dream of visiting Europe but people don't often dream of visiting Burkina Faso (or for that matter many Middle-East locations like Gaza unless one is like me and wants to travel to the most bizarre and possibly deadly places).

Fourth is the present importance: Africa today as a whole is in a sorry state, sure there are some stable democratic countries, but there not many. If a country or continent is a major power it will be talked about more, because as citizens you will need to know how foreign relations between the major countries effects you. If the USA had a trade embargo on Cameroon no one would notice in the USA, Cameroon is not presently important. People sat by when the Rwanda Genocides happened because they did not view it as important. This goes beyond economic or geopolitical importance. Although Africa exports huge mineral wealth one of its largest cultural exports is the stereotypical African dictator; a big black guy on a jeep with a 4x8 foot picture of himself behind him surrounded by his military (think Idi Amin, Mugabe, Mobutu, etc.) proclaiming a "new era" for all, that will end/ended in death, suffering, and an enormous bank account for the perpetrator and his supporters. Although that is not a true representation of Africa by any stretch it is one people think about: Africa, the land of Dictators. Africa lacks a cultural voice, and some of that is because of economic, social, and political problems, that both and been forced upon it, and that it has itself fallen into.

By the way, China's "investment" (exploitation) in Africa is a major problem, I hope the Africans don't fall into a Chinese Debt Pit like the fell into the Western World Debt Pit back in the 70's.

15 hours ago, Aebt said:

snip

By the way, China's "investment" (exploitation) in Africa is a major problem, I hope the Africans don't fall into a Chinese Debt Pit like the fell into the Western World Debt Pit back in the 70's.

This last is an interesting issue.  On the one hand, of course China is making investments in order to gain control - very few organizations spend billions out of the goodness of their hearts and China is not known for its happy friendly approach to the world anyway.

OTOH, the governments they are dealing with are run by intelligent adults, not children.  They have full access to China's record and have the right to make a deal with the devil if they choose to do so. 

It is not clear to me that its actually bad for the populace at large.  The chinese investment will improve infrastructure and bring more wealth and jobs into the country. For the average worker, does it really matter who owns the factory?

1 hour ago, uhtred said:

It is not clear to me that its actually bad for the populace at large.  The chinese investment will improve infrastructure and bring more wealth and jobs into the country. For the average worker, does it really matter who owns the factory?

Of course it matters, improve infrastructure, bring more wealth and jobs? That's laughable and extremely gullible, China is only there for the same reasons American companies like Nestle are there- did Nestle truly improve the African status or did they bring modern day slavery? Especially child slavery, Madagascar vanilla (McCormick)keeps children out of schools, it doesn't send it to them, because parents need their help with harvesting as much as possible because of exploitation (not paying a fair wage). Yet they sell us "organic, free trade, Madagascar vanilla" for $11 USD or more, and cheaper for the conventional stuff, yet real farmers don't see anything like that). African diamonds, gold, emeralds, oil etc. alone should be enough be stabalize the whole continent, it it should reflect that it's the wealthiest continent....if it weren't being exploited by France and other European (and other) nations....if the world didn't have African gold tomorrow....what would happen? But let's be honest...Africa has long been traveled to and exploited because of it's wealth- Arabs knew about African gold when they came to conquer bilad-as sudan for "black gold". But modern African people are convinced that their diamonds and gold aren't worth more than the paper money they get. I'd love to be able to go out in my backyard and find a diamond there...a gold nugget here...but that won't happen because this land isn't as wealthy as Africa and will never be. What would France especially look like today if it didn't exploited Africa on a daily basis? 

5 hours ago, uhtred said:

The chinese investment will improve infrastructure and bring more wealth and jobs into the country. For the average worker, does it really matter who owns the factory?

I love infrastructure, and Africa badly needs some in some places, but it allows two things. Firstly it allows minerals to flow out, preventing Africa from gaining the Factories, since the factories need not be where the resources are. Secondly it allows goods to flow in. If African-made goods can be undercut by Chinese ones it collapses what little industry exists in Africa. Think Nigerian Textile manufacturing collapsing in the wake of cheap Chinese imports. The problem is often times the factories are not built in Africa at all, rather they build Railways to exploit the resources, to move them out rather than process them there. Think TARZARA Railway-esque. Even when the factories are the wealth the generate is often transferred overseas. If Africa is to develop it must move past merely a mineral-exploiting industries to manufacturing industries, etc.

This also all allows China (and other nations) to in effect export their pollution into Africa, rather than being responsible and cleaning it up.

It's also an ignorant assumption that people don't want to travel to Africa... And I do agree that Africa needs infrastructure in some places, especially cities, other places, people voluntarily live naturally (which can also be found in Asian tribes).... But besides that, there are quite a few places that I would want to go to (besides South Africa), Nigeria is a good example of a futuristic country, Eko Atlantic City, Banana Island ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,yikes!), Victoria Island....Lagos Island all have the skyscrapers, businesses and middle class housing that most first world countries have, and they seem to be like Dubai in many ways (over flaunting the wealth of a few, while people live in slums around the corners), but....Banana Island is a dream most people would wish to travel to, as well as Eko Atlantic City. Victoria Island is also affluent, but not at the same level.

150803133113-eko-atlantic-marina-super-t

EKO-BOULEVARD-VIEW-HD-1024x706.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/amp/

Princess Mkabayi

sydafrika-1880_large.jpg

Born of two twin girls, who contrary to Zulu tradition, were both spared. She was one of the most, if not the most important figure in Zulu history besides Shaka Zulu, because of her role of seating kings, unseating him, and acting as regent herself.

Queen Gudit/Yodit (Judith)

Queen-Gudit-1-e1466893033695.jpg

Queen-Gudit-001.jpg

She was a non-Christian queen who laid waste to Axum and attempted to completely erase the Axum royal lines as well as destroying churches and other monuments and signs of the Christian Axum Kingdom. It is inferred that she was either Isrealite or Jewish from the region of Lasta, Beta Isreal or of a pagan- hebraic religion. 

Queen Makeda, of Axum, (Queen of Sheba/Saba)

Queen-of-Sheba.jpg

Wife of King Solomon of Judea, mother to Menelik I (the first Solomonic King of Ethiopia), the line which Ethiopia traced it's history from the last emperor of Ethiopia (Haile Selassie I).

Queen Arawelo, Queen of Somalia ,

The Land of Punt, Ta Netjer (The Land of God in Egyptian)

Queen-Arawelo-of-Somalia.jpg

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Legendary and Notorious, Queen Arawelo, led the first major feminist movement in Africa, and reigned in a true matriarchal state. She inherently believed because women gave birth to men, they were more qualified to rule. It is said that her female subjects took up all of the weapons and castrated up to 90% of the male population (some were kept for breeding), and men were hung up by their testicles as punishment. She supported role-reversal were men took up a role of a child provider and caretaker of the house, while women had more active roles in society. She was also said to have received gifts from the Queen of Sheba as congratulations.

Her downfall is said to have come by her daughter who fell in love with a man (whose name translated to "wise coward"), because of this he was placed in prison, but escaped. The princess found him and eventually they had a son together. Arawelo wanted to have the babe castrated upon birth, but the daughter convinced her mother to wait. Eventually, the boy grew up, and killed Arawelo, ending her reign.

It is said today, that men throw stones at her grave in Somalia, but women, especially when angered throw flowers, and Arawelo is a common nickname for girls who are overconfident, and a name many give to honor the Queen.

Father and Son, Piye and Taharqa, founder and successor of the 25th dynasty of Pharonic Egypt and Kush (Nubia)

King Piye

maxresdefault.jpg

Founder of the 25th dynasty, the two snakes of his headdress represent his rule of both Egypt and Kush, his invasion and control was said to have only lasted for about thirty years.

***It is said that he originally took over to restore Egypt to Nubian ways believing Egypt to have descent from Nubia, originally. He is the famous face from the National Geographic magazine cover that finally recognized Nubian/black rule and existence in Egypt.

King Taharqa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcpVtVhzeVBdat4cJQ1ev

440px-SphinxOfTaharqa.jpg

(Sphinx of Taharqa, in Sudan)

Taharqa is said to have been the King who stopped Assyrian advancement into Jersusalem in the Hebrew Bible, as well as been mentioned by Herodotus.

"My mother was in Ta-Sety …. Now I was far from her as a twenty year old recruit, as I went with His Majesty to the North Land"

"Then she came sailing downstream to see me after a long period of years. She found me after I had appeared on the throne of Horus..."

are ancient lines said to have described Taharqa's youth, or a prophecy to his reign.

Taharqa is also known to have built and restored many monuments and buildings during his reign.

Mumia Abu-Jamal,

United States Political Prisoner, Journalist (Former President of the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists), Political Activist (Former Black Panther)

mumia.jpg

Mumia was a former Black Panther Party spokesperson at the age of 14, and when he was 15 he was placed on an FBI watchlist because of his association with the Black Panthers. In 1981, Mumia was found trying to save a dying person and in 1982 he was convicted of the murder of that person- a white police officer, Daniel Faulkner. It is widely accepted that Mumia is a political prisoner, who experienced extreme bias and prejudice in the courts against him.

***As of 2019: six "mysterious" boxes have been found to be linked to Mumia's case and Mumia is getting the chance to appeal his sentencing.

Mumia's books are well known, and his most recent work was in 2017.

41pzCNcfYeL._AC_SY400_.jpg

18 hours ago, Aebt said:

I love infrastructure, and Africa badly needs some in some places, but it allows two things. Firstly it allows minerals to flow out, preventing Africa from gaining the Factories, since the factories need not be where the resources are. Secondly it allows goods to flow in. If African-made goods can be undercut by Chinese ones it collapses what little industry exists in Africa. Think Nigerian Textile manufacturing collapsing in the wake of cheap Chinese imports. The problem is often times the factories are not built in Africa at all, rather they build Railways to exploit the resources, to move them out rather than process them there. Think TARZARA Railway-esque. Even when the factories are the wealth the generate is often transferred overseas. If Africa is to develop it must move past merely a mineral-exploiting industries to manufacturing industries, etc.

This also all allows China (and other nations) to in effect export their pollution into Africa, rather than being responsible and cleaning it up.

But surely the leaders of the African countries know this. In the distant past, there was limited global communication so it might have been easy for western companies to trick / deceive the African governments, but that isn't the case now.  They must understand the risks. 

The problem is that countries that don't have capital are stuck - they can't improve their own infrastructure enough to increase their productivity unless they have a source of outside investment. 

Archived