113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tan?

• Yes
    • No
    • Occasionally
    • I'm a vampire

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

I might not drink blood, but I sure look the part. In more ways than one.

Except that lard-ass vampires aren't common in fiction... 

AzVh2OdCEAAYh4O.jpg

There's Scary Gary (comic strip vampire), but he's the only one I can think of

No. I spend more than a couple of minutes in the sun and my skin turns a mottled red/white, swells up and starts hurting and itching like Hell. 

When younger I tried - but I would go lobster red, peel and return to pasty white with freckles. Few years ago, I developed basal cell carcinoma on my face - so now it's sun block and floppy hats :)

I don't understand the desire to spend time in the sun in general, never mind tanning. I prefer the dark - must be the vampire in me! 🧛🏻‍♀️

If I do make the mistake of spending time in the sun, I don't tan; I just burn.

(When the sun is unavoidable, I like to carry an umbrella to block its cursed rays.)

• 5 weeks later...

Tanning destroys your skin. I'm in Australia where the skin cancer rates are high because we get lots of hot sun. My skin is for some reason unusually pale and everyone thinks I'm sick even when I'm fine. I've even had my blood tested and I'm not iron deficient or anything - i'm healthy, but I'm just really pale for some reason.

Some people say that tans make you more "attractive" but I don't care because I would rather look like I just crawled out of a dirty dumpster than sexually attractive. Plus fake tans make you look like a neon orange carrot and a certain president who is an idiot

TellurianStomped

I'd like to tan, but I'm a ginger and even though my skin can get darker, it usually just sticks to freckles. So I gave up, but now I'm white as a sheet. It's funny to see pictures with flash because you can barely see any of my facial features, just my eyes!

I certainly don't do it on purpose, and I always make sure to wear sun screen when outdoors for long periods of time, but I do still typically end up with a slight tan on the arms and face by the end of the summer. I'm very light skinned, to the point where I only know one or two people who actually have lighter skin, but for some reason (maybe the olive cast to my skin, which is more noticable in less-pale family members and apparently occasionally makes people question my health), I don't burn any more than most people I know and a lot less than many. Half and hour or an hour in the sun typically produces no effect, unless I'm sitting still or on the water or such.

I used to be so paranoid about sun exposure that I refused to wear anything but long-sleeved shirts going outdoors, but especially since summers have gotten hotter around here, I can't stand to do that and decided that really, sun screen works fine and one light sunburn or two will probably not actually kill me in any case.

Actual picture of my arms after 5mins in the sun

Spoiler

lachs-1.jpg

I try to avoid the sun whenever I can. Surely not paying for that...

I don't tan. I just burn really easily and get a pretty bad burn that does not want to go away for a while.

My answer: I'm a vampire

I'm of mixed descent: Italian and English, and born in Africa. I have the Italian look: dark curly hair, dark eyes, and slightly-olive skin.

I avoid the sun like the plague, the English in me burns, then the Italian side tans, and then the English jumps up again and the tan peels off. 🙄

I'm light-sensitive and a nyctophile so I just stay in the dark as much as possible, I've been on leave for the last 2 weeks and working outside in the shade, so my usually reflective complexion has been ruined by tanning at present. I generally slather up in some SPF50 if I'm going to be outside in direct sunlight or out on the water.

Disclaimer: despite "evidence" or claims to the contrary I am not, in fact, a vampire. I just happen to be very pale, capable of seeing in the dark, have natural fangs, like blood and meat, and have an aversion to sunlight. As proof of my non-vampirism I am able to eat garlic and see my own reflection in the mirror. 😏

I get tan because I spend a lot of time outside in the spring and summer.

I clicked the wrong answer o_O

I don't tan, but I am able to tan which shocks many since am black. 

"You get darker?!"

Uh, yeah....tan lines too when out in the sun. 

1 minute ago, Perspektiv said:

I clicked the wrong answer o_O

I don't tan, but I am able to tan which shocks many since am black. 

"You get darker?!"

Uh, yeah....tan lines too when out in the sun. 

Haha! I was shocked at first, too. Then I spent a summer hanging out with my friend who's black.

5 minutes ago, CajunAce said:

Haha! I was shocked at first, too.

Yeah, I get either shock, or them not believing me. Like this is something to lie about o_O

I had a client tell me I got darker after my trip to Thailand/Hong Kong which ended last week. 

He was white, and you could tell he felt awkward after. I quickly laughed it off, to let him know I knew what he meant. He saw how much I had tanned. 

I don't tan, even at summer camp when I was out in the sun for all day for two months straight. I just burn and peel

user23974865

I clicked no because I don't do it on purpose. I think I do look a little healthier with a slight tan though. Probably because then my face as a whole blends in a little better with the dark circles under my eyes.

I don't tan. I have nothing against it, I just don't want to take any risks, since tanning can be dangerous for skin. And besides I'm very pale, so I burn easily, and I don't like the sun very much, so I tend to avoid it:)).

• 10 months later...

@CajunAce

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived