Does height matter?

verymelancholic

verymelancholic

I consider my height to be my biggest insecurity. Being almost 17 and only 157.5 cm / 5’2”,  it really sucks. I have barely grown an inch since 2016. Even if I just grow to be 173 cm / 5’8”, it would be a huge boost. Anyone else struggling with being short? Does it really matter or am I screwed for life?

As long as professional basketball wasn't your big dream in life, I don't see any significant problem?

Slice of Ace

Not at all, besides really specific cases as @Philip027 mentioned. I have a friend who can't give blood because of her height (and weight), but it doesn't disadvantage her besides that.

Do you mind specifying what about your height bothers you?

I'm 5' 1" - I accepted long ago that there is nothing I can do about it. It can be embarrassing when you have to ask other people in the supermarket to get something on the top shelves, when even 'short length' pants are too long, being called 'short a**e'. But, I saw a lovely meme on Fb couple of years ago and I quote it now whenever I get the disparaging remarks 'God only lets us grow until we reach perfection. Some of us get there sooner than others'. It's a challenge at times, but but learn to use it to your advantage 

Nope. You can't change your innate bone structure without highly risky and expensive modifications.

No point in being upset about what you can't change.

Usually insecurity about being short comes from a romantic insecurity, especially for short men, thinking that nobody would find them attractive like that and I was going to say that some people really like short guys (I actually have a preference for them) but I see you're aromantic. In that case, does it help if I mention I'm 5'1? I've always loved it, though. :P Maybe you can try and learn to like your height? For me I don't know what it is that I like so much about being short, I just think it's cool, lol. Maybe I think it makes me unique? Idk but I love always being the shortest in a group. You know how tall people always stand out, literally? I guess being short is like reverse standing out, lol, maybe I like it cause it's something that inevitably brings attention on you and I've always liked being the center of attention. 😁

I am short (161cm/5'2) too at first I hated it - a tall girl bullied me for being short which made me self-conscious about my height. Plus everyone thinks I'm a child and treats me like such. I've always been a very short person. But since my role model is short too I have learnt to accept my shortness.

It matters to some people but to me I don't care - height is out of our control so picking on people for it is mean.

It's the way you're built and doesn't really matter. The people that will judge you for it aren't worth knowing. Admittedly, it's worse for a male to be short than for a female but it still doesn't matter. Maybe focus on the positives of being short. :) 

Yeah, I'm hella sensitive about my height. I'm 5'2" as well and while it benefits me because of the romantic thing with girls wanting tall boys and boys wanting girls shorter than them, I'm just hella short. I hate still buying clothes in the junior's section because most of the women's section has stuff way too big for me (petite areas are a blessing). I hate always being pushed to the front for pictures. I hate being mistaken for a teenager (doesn't happen so much since I've become an adult and dress like one). 

I'm currently living in Japan and am actually having the problem of stuff for adults being too small for me, and I can tell you it's definitely a boost to my self esteem. I'll be fine when I go back to the states because I've gotten better with embracing my body the way it is, but it's still nice to not always be one of the shortest people around. 

As a short guy there is a lot of difficulty, especially since Americans are the second tallest population on Earth, so even guys at 6 feet are considered short now internationally.

Height doesn't really matter unless you are too short to reach things you need on grocery shelves yet you aren't too tall to hit your head on the door.

I’m 5 4” and absolutely hate it being the shortest in my family yet the second eldest of my siblings I get teased about whenever I’m over. Plus it means weight shows on me like a flashing beacon.

6 hours ago, sithgirlix said:

I'm currently living in Japan and am actually having the problem of stuff for adults being too small for me, and I can tell you it's definitely a boost to my self esteem.

That reminded me of this song:

It doesn't actually matter, but short men in Western societies do get short shrift (no pun intended... okay it was a little bit intended). They aren't outright discriminated against, but they tend to be taken less seriously in the workplace. You aren't screwed for life - everybody has hurdles to overcome, and this may be one of yours. Most short people succeed just fine, you'll just have to be prepared to stand your ground and deal with assholes making "short" comments.

Semiterrestrial Scientist

It does to me. I’m barely 5’ so I’m slightly sensitive about height. 

Nah, not in most situations. It's not too prohibitive, unless like others said you were interested in the NBA, or something.  You're certainly not "screwed for life". If this is about the comments/memes people write on Twitter or dating apps or whatever about height, don't even worry about it. Anyone that would diss a person for stuff beyond that person's control is not worth knowing or valuing. 

Squirrel Combat

I wish I could've reached a full 6 feet. But I'm the tallest in my family, so yay-hoooray!

RoseGoesToYale

Sometimes I have a bit of a height complex (like when I have to climb into the cold case because what I want is up too high, grr), but for the most part being 5'3" isn't too bad. Besides, I like being small enough to fit into various little hidey-holes and secret passages.

If you want to be something like a policeman, i would think height does matter.

But for most jobs, i would think height for males is not a thing that matters. It really depends on what your career will be, if you have one, or get one, depending on where you are in life.

If your really worried about it, go for a career in life, where you do not have to be a certain size as a male. There are some jobs, that require a certain height, just avoid them, if you are worried about height, as you may feel more concious in those sorts of jobs about your height.

3 hours ago, RoseFrozeToHail said:

Sometimes I have a bit of a height complex (like when I have to climb into the cold case because what I want is up too high, grr), but for the most part being 5'3" isn't too bad. Besides, I like being small enough to fit into various little hidey-holes and secret passages.

5'3"? Wanna trade? I don't like being 6'2"😅 well I'd maybe prefer 5'8" but can't be picky...

Life With Masks

I have normal height for my country and I like having normal Height but I wouldn't mind to be 5 centimeters taller. If I was too short or too tall I would bring too much attention towards me and I don't like it. 

I don't understand the metric system here but I'm making an effort to learn.

Funny how height works in the world. 

In some parts of it, you're close to average. 

Height only affects your dating if you're male. 

It otherwise doesn't affect most of your employment prospects.

Make good money and want to date? Your height all of a sudden, is irrelevant. 

Something about a nice car that has some forgetting about those things. 

I was always insanely scrawny. I stopped dwelling on it, and just worked on loving who I was.

Confidence will trump anything.

I have this great love of short people, so your height sounds pretty perfect to me, think of the cuddling opportunities. However I can understand why it would be frustrating, the world really isn't the right size for shorter or taller people. Also if you don't like to cuddle that could be a problem.  

Well you are still 17, possibly you could have 4 more years of growth. Probably you will not get as tall as you want, but you may very well still gain some height, even if you have not grown much in the last year. And no, it doesn't matter, I myself am not short (5'10" and still growing) but most of my friends are quite a bit shorter than me and they seem to have no struggles, baring one's dream of being a Basketball player (but he was not that good so that dream was killed before).

If you are worried about Romantic possibilities of being short, my shortest friend (5') is the only one who is in a romantic situation.

The plus side of being short, is that your body/heart doesn't have to work as hard to pump blood all that distance at least that's what my short AP teacher decided to tell us one day.

your height actually doesn't even limit you in pro basketball. It may make it harder, but there's have been short people in the NBA. Muggsy Bogues was only 5ft 3

Archived