What do you think when people say "People can't be friends with the opposite sex"?

(Creative name)

1 hour ago, Telecaster68 said:

Sorry, I don't understand the concept of seeing that film too many times... 

😂 Fair enough. I didn't care for it.

I can't recall having being told this. I do know that in my 20s I hung out with and did a lot of outdoorsy stuff with a female friend.

Of course this lead to the "Anna is your girlfriend and you're sleeping with/banging/(fill in the blank) her eh? "She's a friend who is a girl and I'm not (fill in the blank) her!"

As much as I tried to deny it nobody would believe me.

WoodwindWhistler
On 7/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, Nylocke said:

Really ...??? How many anime conventions have you attended again???

In my personal experience I find that the fanboys and the fangirls of anime tend to be on the younger side especially the ones that get into it in their teens. It is possible to outgrow that phase as one gets older though and to also develop a genuine appreciation for anime as an art style, a medium of entertainment and whatever else anime might mean to them. Though there are some that never outgrow this phase and that's just some people. Remember, everyone is different.

Uh . . . *counts on fingers* Four? Five? And a couple of those I've been to 2 or 3 times. I don't make a habit of making assumptions about people based on their age. (Although I have seen actual academic papers doing some other data gathering on con goers) Are you claiming that males have more 'sticking power' than females, per the original question at hand? :/ Which was: is there an imbalance of males and females. I think it's more likely that it's now acceptable for females to be into nerdy stuff, therefore they may skew younger. And how old are you and your friends, exactly? Older than twenties? 

WoodwindWhistler
On 7/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, bookwormgirl said:

My mother would say when I was young that it's dangerous to be friends with the opposite sex, especially if you or they have a significant other. 

I didn't get it then. I don't get it now. 

For whatever reason, I tend to end up better friends with men than other women. And I would expect any potential partner to realize that I know the difference in my own feelings as to whether or not I am romantically attracted to another guy. (In which case, yes, I would have the common sense to put space there if I was already seeing someone).

I've been regularly texting a male friend of mine lately. He knows I'm ace. I know he's heterosexual. He also has a girlfriend. It doesn't freaking matter what other people think. We both know where we stand. 

The only way it would be 'dangerous' is if someone had no emotional awareness of their own feelings. If you start to develop feelings for another person when you have an S.O., that's not some doomsday death sentence that you have to cheat . . . it's just a signal to pull back. I'm pretty sure even allos don't just suddenly get hit by the "let's f*** now" bug generally. I mean maybe it's that way for some. But to force that advice on everyone else because some people can't handle it is like saying NON ONE can drink alcohol or smoke marijuana because A FEW people are alcoholics or total worthless stoners. 

On 7/25/2019 at 1:24 PM, caLIBRAtor said:

Yeah, I don't really get that. It's just a heteronormative thing people say i guess. People think that since ''everyone is straight'' they can't be friends with each other without developing some deep serious romantic feeling even though that is not the case. 

And then there's the old standby . . . 'what would that mean for bisexuals? They can't be friends with anybody?'

On 7/25/2019 at 3:42 PM, 3Xi3X said:

See, growing up I was that guy who chose to walk with literally a mob of girls around me. I was just talking to them and validating them and being real with them and we were always deep in conversation and interested in the topic. Guys hated me or treated me like I was “not normal”.

It's funny because my current boyfriend and a sort-of-QPR I had both are both this way. XD But I prefer the company of men . . . Said QPR had a pretty insecure, jealous and clingy girlfriend and he tried to make it work, but she just could not get used to the fact that he was platonically invested in girls.

Comrade Kitty

To answer the original question I think, no just shut up.

12 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

Uh . . . *counts on fingers* Four? Five? And a couple of those I've been to 2 or 3 times. I don't make a habit of making assumptions about people based on their age. (Although I have seen actual academic papers doing some other data gathering on con goers) Are you claiming that males have more 'sticking power' than females, per the original question at hand? :/ Which was: is there an imbalance of males and females. I think it's more likely that it's now acceptable for females to be into nerdy stuff, therefore they may skew younger. And how old are you and your friends, exactly? Older than twenties?

As far as I know I hear there are more females into anime then men these days. I don't know what you mean by "sticking power". Still in my 20s but generally the early 20s is where the "fangirl/fanboy" deal starts to taper off.

12 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

The only way it would be 'dangerous' is if someone had no emotional awareness of their own feelings. If you start to develop feelings for another person when you have an S.O., that's not some doomsday death sentence that you have to cheat . . . it's just a signal to pull back. I'm pretty sure even allos don't just suddenly get hit by the "let's f*** now" bug generally. I mean maybe it's that way for some. But to force that advice on everyone else because some people can't handle it is like saying NON ONE can drink alcohol or smoke marijuana because A FEW people are alcoholics or total worthless stoners.

My mom has also mentioned this "not being friends with someone in a relationship" deal due to the same kinda issues. She literally stated that people in relationships usually wanna only hang out with other people in relationships because its easier for them. I can't say I relate exactly because meeting people of any type single or not is not so easy for me but I guess people will do what they're gonna do.

i think it’s so stupid honestly but i’ve had some guy friends that just claim that it’s impossible and try to get at me a lot and it makes me uncomfortable.

i really enjoy talking to guys just cause they’re funny and cool or whatever and i’ve always dreamed about having a strictly platonic friendship with a guy but it’s so hard to find.

but yea dood i think it’s BONKERS for heteros  to think men and women can’t be friends like shii r y’all that unable to keep it in ur pants?? buncha loonies.

WoodwindWhistler
On 7/29/2019 at 11:23 AM, rawersace said:

i think it’s so stupid honestly but i’ve had some guy friends that just claim that it’s impossible and try to get at me a lot and it makes me uncomfortable.

i really enjoy talking to guys just cause they’re funny and cool or whatever and i’ve always dreamed about having a strictly platonic friendship with a guy but it’s so hard to find.

but yea dood i think it’s BONKERS for heteros  to think men and women can’t be friends like shii r y’all that unable to keep it in ur pants?? buncha loonies.

Horn dogs. 

If you want a strictly platonic relationship with a guy (really? You never have?) then try an app like Yubo that's more geared toward friendship than its dating aspects. Or go on Acebook! Meet Mindful is one that I've been meaning to browse, too. 

I don't think this attitude is as prevalent in like, churches and stuff where sexuality isn't so much of a capital-I identity. Hardly any still have the old conservative idea that men and women should be de-facto segregated. There are some that have "Billy's Rule" which is basically no two people of the opposite gender should be completely alone together, but that still leaves meeting in public, mixed groups of three and whatnot. 

2 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

Horn dogs. 

If you want a strictly platonic relationship with a guy (really? You never have?) then try an app like Yubo that's more geared toward friendship than its dating aspects. Or go on Acebook! Meet Mindful is one that I've been meaning to browse, too. 

I don't think this attitude is as prevalent in like, churches and stuff where sexuality isn't so much of a capital-I identity. Hardly any still have the old conservative idea that men and women should be de-facto segregated. There are some that have "Billy's Rule" which is basically no two people of the opposite gender should be completely alone together, but that still leaves meeting in public, mixed groups of three and whatnot. 

thank u for this i’ll def try Yubo and Acebook!! i’ve never heard of the two so thank u :)

nutterwithasolderingiron

short answer? "bollocks" 

longer answer? i find it more of a telling sign when people cant see someone of the opposite sex as a friend. to me it shows a horrible attitude that i avoid at all costs. usually these are the same people who think the friendzone exists and thinks incels speak 100% truth

honestly, there is an animated series i really love called people watching and i think they do a better job describing the whole think in 7 mins than i ever could

bangyougotme

I only had issues with this when I was younger. It was normally men who I was close with who would develop feelings for me. I would tell them “I am asexual, no thank you.” And they would use this line. I always thought it was a very manipulative move.

Not to make anyone super uncomfortable, but I think friendzone culture is rape culture. It is people feeling entitled to other people. 

Summarized feelings: Very uncool

bangyougotme
1 hour ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

honestly, there is an animated series i really love called people watching and i think they do a better job describing the whole think in 7 mins than i ever could

This video is so cute. Goals though.

nutterwithasolderingiron
4 minutes ago, bangyougotme said:

This video is so cute. Goals though.

oh defo. you should watch the 2 seasons. it's great. 

There's seven minutes I'll never get back...

I have that issue all my life. 

Most of my friends are boys. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up too and I do feel slightly more in tune with guys than girls (you'll never catch me talking about makeup or boys *rolls eyes*) though I've met some really good girl friends over the years. 

When it came to boundaries, I have trouble determining what can or can't be done. 

My mom's very conservative. She just can't understand why I run around with boys a lot or talk openly with them. 

I'm too close physically with them, she puts it. 

I honestly don't think so but then I just treat them as how I would with my girl friends. Sometimes it backfires. Sends guys the wrong signals.

Then the friend zone and awkward silences happen.

Ugh.

Honestly, I'll like to think it's possible for guys and girls to be friends without any expectations. 

When you meet someone new especially, it's just so difficult to send that message across. 

This is a bit true for me. All of my straight male friends in the past have asked me out. All of them. I currently only have 1 straight male friend (and he's asked me out multiple times before in the past), and that's it lol. I kinda do think as a woman it can be hard to just be platonic friends with a straight male. Not impossible though, but it's been my experience that it's extremely hard. 

To answer the original question...

As far as I'm concerned, it's some BS that was invented to enforce heternormativitiy.

I treat everyone the same. Gender is like, the last thing on the list of things that make me associate with someone. I just associate with the people I like, which, incidentally, is mostly girls because boys my age that aren't ace are usually jerks, let's be honest.

This is a bit true for me. All of my straight male friends in the past have asked me out. All of them. I currently only have 1 straight male friend (and he's asked me out multiple times before in the past), and that's it lol. I kinda do think as a woman it can be hard to just be platonic friends with a straight male. Not impossible though, but it's been my experience that it's extremely hard. 

Out of curiosity, why are being asked out by someone and being friends with someone mutually exclusive to you?

The only people I've ever confessed a crush to were friends (kinda has to be that way for me, as a demiromantic).  Not all of them have reciprocated, and that was fine; life goes on.  It didn't mean we weren't friends anymore.

I guess it's true that once someone views someone else as a romantic interest but they aren't interested back in the same way, it's typically difficult for them to remain friends with that other person, but I've never understood why.  I feel like I don't get "crushed" by crushes as much as most other people do, which has had me questioning before if they even were crushes.  Mehhh

ElasticPlanet
On 8/6/2019 at 3:58 AM, twetzel59 said:

it's some BS that was invented to enforce heternormativitiy.

I expect you're right that's how it came about... I just find it mindboggling that anyone thought it would actually 'work' and achieve their desired goal. I mean, as someone who used to identify as male and straight (because nobody actually explained properly what binary gender or sexual attraction were, so how was I even supposed to know that I had neither) I resented feeling trapped in an entirely male social circle. And not just because I didn't want to be male! How was I supposed to get to properly know any of the non-male people who I might be (romantically) attracted to?

Even if they assumed everyone was straight, how is isolating people from potential partners supposed to help the creation of more straight relationships?

This kind of system seems to privilege the men with the most social confidence and the most conventional relationship needs/wants, who might somehow be able to end up in a viable relationship after some finite number of dates with women who they knew basically nothing about beforehand. 🙄

5 hours ago, ElasticPlanet said:

This kind of system seems to privilege the men with the most social confidence and the most conventional relationship needs/wants, who might somehow be able to end up in a viable relationship after some finite number of dates with women who they knew basically nothing about beforehand. 🙄

Sure enough, that seems to be the preference of society, unfortunately. Our social structure always expects that men will initiate any romantic relationship, prefer male company, feel secure in their gender, and experience primary sexual attraction to women.

Hence the reason why I don't really like to think of myself as a conventional male...

I sometimes wonder the ease in which wives girlfriends of my buddies felt in talking with me is was that I wasn't 'threatening'? Or maybe since I never had a girlfriend they thought (possibly correctly) that I wasn't interested in females?

On 7/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, bookwormgirl said:

We both know where we stand.

Does his girlfriend? That's where things usually get difficult or go wrong, especially at times when their relationship is under strain, which invariably happen at some point.

bookwormgirl
1 hour ago, Acing It said:

Does his girlfriend?

Without giving away too much of my personal life, she doesn't know I'm asexual (screw that, I had a hard enough time telling him), but the way things stand at the moment I actually see her in person more often than I see him, and she's been completely civil and friendly with me. If it ever came up I'd tell her flat out myself that I don't see him that way and I never have.

Believe me, I see the problem. Another one of my male friends is married, and I make am effort to stay in touch with his wife as well (whom I like but don't know as well). Probably unnecessary in her case, but I feel better showing that I'm not trying to sneak around with him behind her back.

Reading the recent posts brought to mind something the friend I came out to last week. 

Prior to me knowing her she had a long term boyfriend. Quite a few years later she was telling me about an attempt of her's to contact the now married ex (why I have no idea). She proceded to tell me that the wife had answered the phone and apparently to my friend's surprise, some not so pleasant words were exchanged. To which she more or less said to me, why?

I thought to myself, "You need to buy a 

Spoiler

fucking

clue!"

I had no idea at the time I was aro ace, but I think I had some common sense when it came to relationships and friendships.

That's really true. 

I used to stress to my ex that his friends should get to know me and vice versa. This includes girls. 

From the flip side, it's only so I don't get myself riled up by the idea that my ex is hanging out way too much with them.  

Also, it gives me an opportunity to get to know them and form an opinion, rather than have a looming imaginary figure in the background.

Mutual respect, in a way. 

Same with any of my friends that are dating.

Their girlfriends need to know me. I really don't want the guy to have to duke it out with them and come up with excuses as to why we're close buds hanging out. 

A lot of the time I prefer to hang out with guys than girls because I just get on better with them and most girls I know just spend a lot of time talking about “hot guys” which I couldn’t care less about.

One of my best friends are a guy and it really annoys me how people just assume that I have a crush on him because I hang out with him and because we’re friends and it’s obvious that it bothers both of us when people say “oh you have a crush on each other”.

It is possible to have friends who are a different gender to you and for you to not have crushes on each other!

Also the other day I was playing football with a guy and people asked us if we were siblings. When they learnt we weren’t they asked if we were dating. Why can’t we just be friends?! It’s stupid

@Gingerpud

I wish dating was all people had said about what I was doing with a friend that was female...

AngelofMusic997

I think people who say that are: 
a) Freaking idiots.

b) horny af. 

** All based on previous experience. Terrible experience. Not good experience. But previous experience, nonetheless. 

• 2 weeks later...

I find it ridiculous really.I have a bisexual friend,does that mean they cant have any friends since they like both sexes? by the logic of the saying,thatd be how it worked.While yes,psychologically you are more likely to date a friend,thats only because you know them better and trust them more than a stranger or something.

Can people just not control their genitals? Like, they have to have sex with everything? How hard is that?

I will never understand humans. This is why I imagined being "broken" for so long, none of this makes sense.

Archived