• Day of good will
    • Second day of Christmas
    • Wren Day
    • Another name not covered above

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, it is St. Stephen's day

1 hour ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

26 December

Just another day closer to the new year which will then mean that the $%&#@$ holiday season will be finally over.

I'll second that. 😁

2 hours ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

26 December

Just another day closer to the new year which will then mean that the $%&#@$ holiday season will be finally over.

That. I do like "Boxing Day Football" though.

Boxing day 

Also the day when all the muppets who found a driving license in a Christmas cracker get on the road 😡 😡 

We call it St. Stephen's Day here in the Czech Republic.

2 hours ago, Tja said:

Wednesday? :unsure:

Without the regular TV schedule, I'm not sure of the days of the week :(;)

December 26th. The day after Christmas. This year, Wednesday. Nothing else. It’s just a regular day.

J. van Deijck

in my country of origin it's the 2nd day of Christmas. in where I live now, it's just a normal day.

For me it's always 2 days after the day before Christmas!

Spoiler

Seriously Boxing Day for me.

The second day of Christmas, boxing day or the 26th of December depending who I’m talking to and what I’m talking about

Grumpy Alien

What is the second day of Christmas? What cultures celebrate more than one day of Christmas? Teach me things please

Boxing day for me.

On 1/3/2019 at 4:57 AM, Graceful said:

What is the second day of Christmas? What cultures celebrate more than one day of Christmas? Teach me things please

Historically speaking, the Christmas celebrations lasted for 12 days (until the 5th of January (or 6th depending on where you live) - also called Epiphany or 12th Night). So 26th Dec was the second of 12 days of celebration, i.e. second day of Christmas. Most places don't celebrate for this long anymore, but some countries still do - mostly European ones with a large population of orthodox Christians. It's where the song 'the twelve days of Christmas' comes from.

Not the world's best explanation, so if anyone else can do better...! (Alternately, the Wikipedia article is pretty good)

45 minutes ago, elmrain said:

Boxing day for me.

Historically speaking, the Christmas celebrations lasted for 12 days (until the 5th of January (or 6th depending on where you live) - also called Epiphany or 12th Night). So 26th Dec was the second of 12 days of celebration, i.e. second day of Christmas. Most places don't celebrate for this long anymore, but some countries still do - mostly European ones with a large population of orthodox Christians. It's where the song 'the twelve days of Christmas' comes from.

Not the world's best explanation, so if anyone else can do better...! (Alternately, the Wikipedia article is pretty good)

It would be tradition here not to take down Christmas decorations until 6th january which is known here as Little Christmas (though in some parts, it is women's christmas where traditionally  men do the cooking and other housework for that day) that would still be Christmas/festive period (which also explains why I still am using my Christmas name and not reverted back). Coming home today, all the Christmas decorations in town were still up and shining brightly

Grumpy Alien
On 1/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, festiff said:

It would be tradition here not to take down Christmas decorations until 6th january which is known here as Little Christmas (though in some parts, it is women's christmas where traditionally  men do the cooking and other housework for that day) that would still be Christmas/festive period (which also explains why I still am using my Christmas name and not reverted back). Coming home today, all the Christmas decorations in town were still up and shining brightly

Reminds me of frequent confusion when family and friends in England say Christmas but mean what I would just call “winter” or “December.” (“Christmas” referring to Christmastime.) Or if I tell them when something is (Christmas) but they continue to ask when until I remember I need to add “Day” at the end of Christmas. To me, Christmas is one day. I also disappointed my in-laws by telling them our towns aren’t really decorated or do anything extra special for the holidays.

• 11 months later...

@festiff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived