5. 5. Films they wrote but didn't direct

• Crime wave
    • Gambit
    • Unbroken
    • Bridge of spies
    • Surburbicon
    • Please don't make me choose

This poll is closed to new votes

So for me, the coen brothers are superb film makers so just a general one.

I've broken it down between different periods so picking is a little bit easier.

I also added in a category for films they wrote/co-wrote but didn't direct.

For me, they have done a really great diverse range from westerns to comedies to thrillers.

My four picks are raising Arizona, o brothers where art thou, a serious man and true grit while in the fifth bonus feature question (to go with DVD lingo) is spielberg's bridge of spies

1 hour ago, festiff said:

My four picks are raising Arizona, o brothers where art thou, a serious man and true grit while in the fifth bonus feature question (to go with DVD lingo) is spielberg's bridge of spies

Image result for yeah well that's your opinion man

(Can you guess my favourite movie of theirs, it's actually one of my favourite movies full stop!)

The only movie I have seen on those lists is O Brother Where Art Thou. I thought it was good.

Fargo is absolutely perfect.  I also loved Blood Simple.  It's amazing when a gory film's writing is so good, you find the whole  thing hilarious.  

Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou

The first time I saw Fargo was a Saturday night in January when it was very cold and the ground was covered in snow. I stumbled upon it on TV like 2 minutes in, decided to give it a shot. Loved it, and the perfect setting to watch it

5 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

(Can you guess my favourite movie of theirs, it's actually one of my favourite movies full stop!)

Mark it zero!

17 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

The bowling balls make it look like John Goodman has Mickey Mouse ears. 🐭

I’ve never seen any of these. I’ve never even heard of the majority of them.

Barton Fink

Fargo (though O Brother Where Art Thou is also perfect) - and by the way, has anyone seen the TV series of Fargo? Season 2 was fucking AMAZING.

Burn after Reading (though No Country for Old Men is also amazing. One of the best bad guys ever lol)

True Grit (though I'm going to watch Ballad soon)

I haven't watched any of the ones they wrote but didn't direct other than Sub - Oh wait yeah I loved Suburbicon, damn, now I can't change my vote!! I chose 'can't choose' because I was thinking of that shitty Shia Lebouff (however you spell his name) movie, but no Suburbicon with Matt Damon was frikken awesome!!!!

• 3 months later...
AllThisTime

There is no Coen brothers film that I've seen that I haven't liked.  I like them more when I see them again because I see something I missed the first time.  I really hated "Hail Caesar" when I saw it in the theatre; when I saw it the 2nd (and 3d) time the low key subversive humour has made it one of my favourites.  I love that the Coen's have their stable of regular actors.  *Ballad of Buster Scruggs is such an incredible collection of vignettes. I honestly don't know which I'd choose as the best*

PS Is there a Wes Anderson thread?

23 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

There is no Coen brothers film that I've seen that I haven't liked.  I like them more when I see them again because I see something I missed the first time.  I really hated "Hail Caesar" when I saw it in the theatre; when I saw it the 2nd (and 3d) time the low key subversive humour has made it one of my favourites.  I love that the Coen's have their stable of regular actors.  *Ballad of Buster Scruggs is such an incredible collection of vignettes. I honestly don't know which I'd choose as the best*

PS Is there a Wes Anderson thread?

For you :)

I had been meaning to do it anyway :)

I think Movies are quite a good subject for census polls. It might be archived now but there was a really nice one about Disney era's of animation

edit the Disney thread is still open. This actual influenced the breaking up between particular periods.

I've watched too few Coen movies, so I think I shouldn't vote on this poll.

But I think they're brilliant directors, among my favourites, I'd say.

I like A Serious Man best - so far.

True Grit is the only one I've seen 

• 8 months later...

@festiff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived