Favorite Composers

Alawyn-Aebt

I'm a violinist. I think my favorite composer varies. Orchestral: Tchaikovsky.  Solos, concertos, etc: Vieuxtemps, Sibelius, Bach, Sarasate. I tend to like pieces that are "edgy" or showoffy haha

• 3 weeks later...
CunningComposer

I could go on for hours because I'm a composer, but my top three at the moment are:

Aaron Copland - mostly his smaller-scale works that nobody knows (like his art songs).  He has such interesting harmonic structures that never feel too unsettling even though they're sometimes waaaay weird.

John Tavener's "The Lamb".  is.  literally.  perfect.

Elena Kats-Chernin - especially her Wild Swans Suite.

• 2 weeks later...
Squirrel Combat

I tend to cycle through different favorites. For a while I have been on a Paganini kick; I consistently enjoy Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Wagner, Respighi, Bach, Haydn, and many more. But Schubert claims a special place because he set the example I live by.

MonsterTurtle

Hm i'd have to say Yiruma, Kevin Kern and Chopin
But I love piano music in general

Old school? Vivaldi and Bach.

Living composers? Max Richter and Olafur Arnalds. 

Bach, Bach, and also Bach.  Sometimes Steve Reich, sometimes Respighi.  

I am not the most educated when it comes to music. I do like quite a bit of classical music, but am not well enough versed in various composers to have favorite composers. Mostly I like specific pieces of music, and generally I am a fan of violin concertos. I also think some of the great composers of the 20th/21st centuries are/were movie musical score composers (Korngold, Zimmer, Morricone, Williams, etc.).

44 minutes ago, CBC said:

Arvo Pärt. Contemporary Estonian composer.

Rutter Part.  If Skycaptain were here, he would make an obscene comment.  

35 minutes ago, CBC said:

You did it for him. ;) 

I do try to help people out.  

Purcell, Dowland, Britten, Tchaikovsky, then there are Grieg, Satie, Shostakovich, Erwin Schulhoff, Gabriel Fauré and many others who I enjoy listening to but whose work I'm less familiar with. 

I know embarrassingly few composers (and pieces), but I have only just entered the world of classical music, so to speak.

For now I'm just happy that this thread exists, it's so inspiring.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Mine...Debussy - atmospheric, particularly Claire de Lune and deux Arabesques.

Mahler- Epic and emotional ,I'm thinking symphony of 1000 voices and 7th symphony.

Schoenberg- modern and abstract. I'm thinking Verklarte Nacht and Erwartung.

I like Alban Berg too , in small doses.

• 3 months later...

My all-time favourite is Verdi. Such a wonderful range of emotions, so many memorable characters, and he humanizes them really well. Also: baritones. No one has ever written better roles for baritones. I never understood why leading ladies are into the tenor. My first opera was Trovatore at 12 and my conclusion was "Leonora needs glasses". Currently, my favourites Verdis are Don Carlo, Simon Boccanegra, Forza, Trovatore and Ballo.

Also love: Britten (I'm a wee bit obsessed with Billy Budd), Tchaikovsky (thanks entirely to that beautiful, magical Met Onegin with the five billion autumn leaves), Wagner ( I'd punch him if I met him but the music is divine), Mussorgsky (love me some bass-heavy tragedies), I'm kinda getting into Massenet, Mozart (especially Don Giovanni, and no, Donna Anna isn't into him, dear directors), Donizetti. I do love some Puccini but all his works fell out of my top 10 recently, even Tosca which used to be my no.1 for a long time.

For non-opera, I love Bach because pipe organs sound so gorgeous. 

Honorary mention for film composers: Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota and Howard Shore. 

As a classical trumpet player, my favorite composers that I have played pieces from are:

Vaguhan Williams

Eric Whitacre - especially his piece "October"

Holsinger - especially his piece "Abram's Pursuit"

Holst

Granger

Yiruma,Tartini for "Devil's Trill", Hans Zimmer, Shostakovich, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Vivaldi.

• 5 months later...

@Aebt-Ætheling

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived