Sounds Fake But Okay - An Ace Podcast

Cee Fox

I have this ace podcast I listen to and love but it's only just occurred to me that not everybody knows of it. It's called Sounds Fake But Okay and is run by an aroace girl and a hetero-demi girl. They've talk a lot about ace culture and have talked about aces and their place in the community. On top of that, they're just really fun, hilarious girls and I think people should check them out.

I listen to their podcast on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/soundsfakepod. They have a twitter and tumblr, the whole shebam.

Thank you for recommending this podcast! I'm listening to an episode now and loving it so far.

everywhere and nowhere

To be honest, I feel disappointed so far. I tried to listen to the one about virginity... and at some point it just felt too distressing for me, these mentions of having sex for the first time, of nudity... because of my nudity aversion, this is exactly what triggered me and made me feel that I really can't listen to this anymore. It reminded me even more acutely that THIS IS PRECISELY WHAT I FEEL COMPLETELY UNABLE TO DO. And I don't regret it in any way, I wouldn't like to be sex-capable, I rather think that at least ace-spectrum people should recognise how impossible it feels for some people.

I just recalled a blog post I have seen linked at the Asexual Agenda: Specifying My Asexuality With Sex-Aversion. It's about using the more specific label of "sex-averse asexual" to communicate not being interested in sex to potential partners. Well... yes, that would be meaningful to me as well, but I also feel for other reasons how important this kind of label is for me. Maybe I'm not even asexual. But I'm absolutely certainly sex-averse and nudity-averse and these experiences organise a lot of my approach to sexuality-related topics. "I can't even imagine" perhaps wouldn't be accurate because I'm autochorissexual after all - but I can't even imagine an alternative universe in which I personally would be psychologically capable of having sex. I wouldn't like to gain this capability, but I want it to be acknowledged how frightening does sex feel for some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is Kayla from the podcast!!! 

Thank you so much for sharing here we love hearing what people think and it's so cool to find other people talking about us out there on the internet!

Ok, I didn't want to ask, but I have to: How, um... explicit is this podcast? Are there any detailed sex scenes, sexual (or non-sexual) violence, profanity, or any other triggering content? Do the episodes come with trigger warnings? Would you be able to play this on NPR or some other FCC-regulated broadcaster?

I love finding new podcasts, I just... don't want to hear any f-bomb or anything too triggering. ^^'

@Barbio I'll have to admit there is a fair amount of reference to sex, not usually in a descriptive sense but there is a lot of discussion around it. I'm also not going to say there's no profanity or triggering language, it's not something I've paid attention to but it's likely that there are a few swear words to come across that maybe I haven't noticed. I say better to stay safe than sorry. Sorry I couldn't provide clear enough information😅

@Barbio Hi there! I'm Kayla a co-host of the podcast. There definitely is some swearing in the podcast so if that is a concern perhaps our podcast isn't the right fit for you! We do discuss sex and sexual topics but I don't believe we've ever discussed sex in an explicit way.

I hope this helps!

@Cee Fox @Kayla_kas Ok, thank you!

I'm against podcasts. I don't think we should throw nets over dolphins.

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm against podcasts. I don't think we should throw nets over dolphins.

This is the only opinion about podcasts that matters.

I've listened to the first couple of episodes and am enjoying it so far. Also, I sent a link to a straight friend who doesn't know much about ace issues and he found it really interesting.

Thank you for recommending this, and thanks to @kayla_kas for making it! I've been looking around for more perspectives and in-depth, commute-friendly (i.e. audio) discussions so I can better understand what I'm experiencing (over a decade later in life than Sarah did, which is confusing, haha).

I've listened to a few scattered episodes now, and it's both reassuring and concerning that it's normal to continue questioning your sexuality due to varying factors.

Keep it up.

Archived