New here. Hi and my coming out story

Happy10acn

Hi, folks. This may be a little long. Sorry.

I'm not sure where to start. 

I'm a 58 year old ace female pizza delivery driver who lives just north of Memphis, TN. 

I've known for a long time that I was asexual, but I didn't know that it was a thing. Sex just never really interested me. After the guy I was going out with dumped me many years ago, I really didn't miss it at all. I had my mom to take care of, so I didn't have time anyhow.

Fast forward to a few months ago. For some reason I was thinking about such things, and I first used the word asexual about myself.  (My exact thought was "I'm asexual. I get an "A" in sex!" Kinda silly, but that's me.)

An old friend found me on Facebook and we got back in touch that way. (His last name really is Dragon, btw! Love it!!) Anywho I got to the point where I wanted to come out to another person, so I picked him. (He had come out to me as bi years ago, and I was cool with it. You do you, my friend.  You're my friend and I want you to be happy.) Those were the exact words he wrote back to me.  It just felt good to have that love and support from another living person.  

Then a couple months later I moved into a hotel and became friends with one of the front desk clerks. Somehow the subject came up and she said she has another friend who's also ace, so she already kinda knew about it. Also very supportive.  She crocheted me a scarf in ace colors for my birthday! I wear it every chance I get, both to show pride and to thank her for making it for me. 

Then a few weeks ago (just after Ace Pride Week) I saw another dear friend of mine and came out to her. She said, "What's that got to do with anything? You're you, I love you and nothing is gonna change that. You're stuck with me as a friend, so live with it!" We've helped each other through some serious poo, so I knew she'd be supportive, too. 

Well, that's my story. Sorry it's so long but thanks for reading.  Glad to be here.

Welcome! Aww that’s so sweet that you have such supportive friends :D 

recipe_elegant-chocolate-cake.jpg?itok=p

Welcome to AVEN!

And congratulations on the positive coming out experiences!
You know, for an Asexual it's called "coming out of the pantry" instead of the closet because you'll find cake ingredients in a pantry, and there's a joke among Asexuals about a cake being better than sex.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake,

ZWughhv.jpg

Thanks for the cakes. They look yummy and they won't raise my blood sugar! Yay!! Hadn't thought about the coming out of the pantry, but I'll have to use it. 

Welcome! You aren't too far from me :) Good to hear you have asolid support system! 🍰

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for signing up and saying Hello! You've come to the right place - AVEN is a wonderful community with lots of friendly and supportive folks from all over the planet. A lot of us will be able to relate to your thoughts and feelings! I also didn't think about asexuality, simply because sexuality never really played a role in my life - let alone an important one :D But yay, it's great to read that you've come to terms with things and that you live in such an amazing environment!

You might be interested in Questions About Asexuality, which is a great spot to start looking around - both for the information and the stories people are telling. Then there's Asexual Relationships, where we talk about how being asexual (or somewhat close to that) affects our everyday relationships, be them familial, platonic or romantic. Oh and there's a 50+ folks chat thread on here, too!

Take your time to read and explore all the forums and if you have a question, ask away! I hope you'll enjoy your time on here :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTRLjTLizuEWld-M05Jua

Thanks for the cake! it looks yummy (now I want cake!!)

I came out to the folks who matter to me. everybody else is going to think what they're gonna think, and I just let them. I get called sir a lot, but it stopped bothering me a long time ago. I just say, it's mam and leave it at that.

Archived