I'm not entirely sure what romantic orientation I am?

ButterflyBlues

ButterflyBlues

I know this isn't an answer I can find right away, and I'm not a big fan of labels but I just want something to identify myself as right now, if that makes sense? I'm 15 and I've never had a crush. I thought I had a crush in 5th grade but I was talking to my friends today and I just got nervous around them (my not really crush) for a couple of days before I convinced myself that his personality was wrong. I think people are cute, like both girls and guys, but I never want to act on that. I would rather hold hands or cuddle than kiss or go on a date. I thought I might be demiromantic, but I've never really had a crush and am not entirely sure what it's supposed to feel like. 😳 I find myself attracted to characters in books and movies, like I like their personality or appearance? (It's kinda hard to describe over text XD. But I'm not attracted to the actors/actresses themselves, just the characters they portray.

Sorry if this doesn't really make any sense, I just kinda needed to vent instead of doing homework. I was hoping someone could explain demiromantic and aromantic a little more to me? And like what romantic feeling are? As I've stated above I know I'm young and that it could change, but it just makes me feel a little less out of place if I find away to describe myself. Sorry for bothering you!

EmilyElizabeth

Hi, I'm sixteen and have been looking at this stuff for a bit now, so might be able to help. Completely aromantic is when you don't feel romantic attraction for anyone at all whereas I think that demiromantic is when you only feel attraction after a strong emotional bond has been formed, like after you have been friends for a while. I sometimes get really mixed up between crushes and wanting to be friends with someone which is really confusing. Anyway, sorry for the tangent but I hope that this helped a bit and you find the answer you want!

Just Somebody

Romantic attraction is when someone or something catches your attention for whatever reasons and you desire to get close to them and form a bond and call it only a romantic relationship (which is nothing more than an socio-cultural-historic contract)

It appears you feel aesthetic attraction and sensual attraction for people , like you find people pleasant to look at and like contact.

After reading this, you should look after fictoromantic,  maybe that's your case,  if not, you're at least ficto-asethetical as you find fictional characters pleasant to look at.

Anyway.... if you're one of those that wouldn't bother labeling yourself,  you can go with queer or just pomo-sexual/romantic as umbrella terms .

Eh...I would look up materials related to the good old-fashioned aromantic label.  I can't give you a label, but that's what you sound like to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had very similar experiences to yours (I relate to basically everything you've said except for the sensual attraction). I called myself demiromantic for a little while, but soon realized I was only really going off of theoretical situations instead of actual experience. I later decided the term "quoiromantic" fit better, since it described a sort of ambiguity and lack of clarity in my experiences.

Archived