How young do people experience sexual attraction?

theatrenerd

So I am going to be 16 in about a month and have been questioning if I am asexual for a bit now. I have never experienced sexual attraction nor do I want to have sex. My question is how young do people experience sexual attraction? Like am I still too young to know??

@theatrenerd Welcome to AVEN!

In my case, I realised that I'm Asexual in my early teens, around 14, I'm now 33.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake,

ZWughhv.jpg

• Like 1

Hi! First off, welcome to AVEN. I actually realized I was ace a little bit before my 15th birthday and it's been almost a year since then and I'm still pretty certain. I think it sounds like you're asexual but even if it turns out you're not, that's ok:) I'd offer you some cake but my school blocks imgur so here's some mini cake^_^:cake::cake::cake::cake:

• Like 1

Welcome to AVEN :cake:! ^_^

No, you're not too young to know, but do also know that orientation might still shift. If you feel comfortable now identifying as asexual, go ahead. It isn't uncommon whilst you discover more about yourself to feel differently.

Just Somebody

If they had an healthy upbringing,  usually when puberty hits in their teens bc hormones, they may feel sexual attraction.

• Like 1

You're not too young to know! But maybe you will experience sexual attraction someday and discover that you aren't asexual. In five minutes I might turn into a dragon and fly away into the sunset, but until then I'm pretty sure I can assume that I'm a human watching TV and eating spaghetti. Similarly, if you feel that you're asexual, there's no point in worrying over sexual attraction that may or may not come. And if your orientation shifts, hey, you learned something about yourself!

Can't speak for everyone, but a lot of people I've observed started experiencing sexual attraction around puberty. So like, nine or ten years old and up? Depends.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

Conversely, some people don't have a desire for sex until they're in their 30s, so it's definitely possible you could be sexual still. ID as you feel now, but don't get too attached to a label.

• Like 1

Labels are helpful when they explain how you feel today. They are hurtful when they no longer match, but you're afraid to let them go. It's okay to be who you are. And it's okay to change. 🙂

• Like 2
C-480-125-092

Although I didn't know what it was at that age I experienced sexual attraction very early - before even starting school, looooong before puberty!

everywhere and nowhere

A friend of mine (heterosexual trans woman) says that she first felt some kind of desire to have sex at the age of eight. Which also proves that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "hormones", it can be pure curiosity.

But still, I just... I just strongly prefer non-biological explanations. My experience as a non-adopted child psychologically completely unlike anyne else in my family made me believe that personality is non-biological and non-heritable. "Premenstrual syndrome" is for me something purely theoretical, I have never noticed any kind of influence of my hormonal cycle on my thoughtfeeling - well, maybe with the sole exception that during period itself I can get understandably angry about having to go through such unpleasant and completely needless stuff...

• Like 1
On 12/17/2018 at 11:16 PM, Mollie said:

Labels are helpful when they explain how you feel today. They are hurtful when they no longer match, but you're afraid to let them go. It's okay to be who you are. And it's okay to change. 🙂

This. 

I didnt feel sexual attraction until I was 30. But, most do feel it probably by 18 or so. Many feel it earlier. It really depends on the person. 

So ID with what you feel and if it changes later, allow the change rather than feeling bad about a label shift. Growing and changing is part of life, so dont allow any labels to define you, just use them as tools to define how you feel now.