this clip of Saoirse Ronan on Ellen just oozes aroace

moonbrain

The audience seemed to think it was all funny. Do people really don't understand how great friendship can be?

Guest Falco Peregrinus

I love the "they're not taking pity, they just don't understand you" - I think it's hilarious how on the nose Ellen ended up being without even trying

1 hour ago, ingeniouscanoe said:

This was painful to watch. 

Yes; I felt sorry for her, how the audience was laughing, like when she mentioned about perhaps wanting to be in a platonic relationship; how Ellen said she'd have to date, sometime and felt as though she were talking to a 70-year-old woman, etc.

I don't know; perhaps, the audience and Ellen thought she was just a shy 23-year-old and that her lack of dating and relationship experience was "cute," "adorable," etc.

Ellen is being a jerk asking such personal questions.  What a pest.

22 minutes ago, thylacine said:

Ellen is being a jerk asking such personal questions.  What a pest.

From what I've seen of her show, she usually likes to play match-making games like that with her guests, talk about their dating lives, etc. and make jokes about it. I don't know if Saoirse Ronan knew that she'd be asked those questions and agreed to it, before appearing on the show. But, yes; I'm disappointed and surprised that Ellen apparently isn't aware of asexuality, aromanticism, etc., including many in the audience (to find the idea of someone not being interested in dating or relationships funny or weird to laugh and make jokes about them).

It goes to show that orientations like asexuality and aromanticism still need more widespread awareness (even among LGBT+ people, like Ellen.)

Inquisitive Philosopher:  As a gay person, she really ought to be more respectful of asexuality!  Sheesh.  Ellen needs to grow up a little.

Nothing against Ellen, but first and foremost she is an entertainer.

For an entertainer, their audience comes first.

I am pretty sure we are not her target audience.

Seen this here already like a year ago, but it's still good.

And yeah, being LGBT isn't necessarily any guarantee you'll know about asexuality.  Even if she did, Ellen was clearly just messing with her in order to be entertaining.  Wouldn't take it too seriously.

30 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Seen this here already like a year ago, but it's still good.

Yeah, I posted a link to the previous thread on this. :) 

Wow, I am surprised at the reaction here.

"Ellen should know about asexuality" Really?

Do you expect everyone who is not straight to understand and know every possible non straight orientation? Perhaps someone did tell Ellen about asexuality "They are people who want sex only to feel emotional connection with partner and don't actually enjoy the act of sex". And Ellen went WTF thats just normal sexuality and hence she ignored it. Considering the fact that so many people on here can't agree on whats asexuality and the fact that many "demisexuals" think demisexuality is under asexual umbrella, I am not surprised that may sexuals cannot wrap their head around this concept. Honestly, I am so fed up with so much misinformation that, I have stopped using that label (even though the I am very much an asexual) and whenever I meet another person calling themselves asexual, I just roll my eyes.

Second, its a talk show. Where they play funny games. From my understanding, the show sends the celebrity list of games and the celebrity chooses which game they wanna play on show. So, Saorise was well aware of what she was getting herself into. Its possible she knew her reaction would be funny and hence she chose that game.

Lastly, I don't believe she is either aromantic or asexual. She is probably just not used to talking like that. I am sure if you ask such questions to someone from conservative culture, they will behave just like that. Despite being sexual, sex/romance/dating is an uncomfortable topic for many. 

I already loved Saoirse, but this makes me consider she might actually be ace-aro. This was a great find.

Lastly, I don't believe she is either aromantic or asexual. She is probably just not used to talking like that. I am sure if you ask such questions to someone from conservative culture, they will behave just like that. Despite being sexual, sex/romance/dating is an uncomfortable topic for many. 

Actually, I don't think most people would behave like this, at all.

I've found that most people actually don't have any trouble playing "hot or not" style games like this (they might run into some difficult choices between pairs of people, but usually they still would ultimately be able to pick one without practically being "forced" to like Ronan was), and the fact that I simply *could not* play it as it was intended to be played IS unusual as far as the general populace is concerned.  This clip pretty much perfectly highlights just how unusual it is, and how unusual I felt when subjected to things like this from peers.

Most of my friends would have been uncomfortable. I dunno if they would have reacted like Ronan, but they never did those silly online quizzes "which celebrity you should date" sort of stuff. They would say something like "I only like Tom Cruise no one else" to get out of the situation. I think they were uncomfortable with the idea of picking and choosing. (None of those have been on dating websites/apps either, and they don't view such sites favorably either)

Aw, that's exactly how I'd react. "Well, I love that song so I'll go with him."

Interestingly, Saoirse plays an ace character in "On Chesil Beach". I haven't seen the film yet, but having read the book, the character comes across strongly as heteroromantic ace.

Archived